Triglot
Canada
Joined 5210 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 57 of 116
13 November 2013 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
I thought this thread had died. I'm still in awe of the fact that a statement such as "language classes do not work" is
even debatable. If somebody had said "Language classes dd not work for me" or "Bad language classes do not work",
then I would see the basis for a discussion. But to imply that all language classes do not work is an outlandish
statement that flies in the face of reality. Some classes are good; some are bad, for all sorts of reasons. Classes
work for some people and not for others.

Self-study is great for some people but we all know that the vast majority of people who buy those books and
methods give up very quickly. Does anybody claim that "Self-study does NOT work" ?

Edited by s_allard on 13 November 2013 at 6:49am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Jheavner724
Decaglot
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

5 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Old English
Studies: Vietnamese, Sign Language, Hindi, Sanskrit, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Romanian, Russian, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Macedonian, Mongolian, Tagalog

Message 58 of 116
13 November 2013 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
I think that, while immersion is definitely one of the easiest, most natural and quickest
ways to advanced in a language, a good class can also be very helpful. Of course,
supplementing a language course would help, for doing the bare minimum is never a good
idea if you want to maximize improvement.

Being an autodidact can also be very efficient, or at least it has been for me (I'm sure
it varies from person to person).

P.S. I'm very jealous of you going to Italy. I've yet to leave the U.S. and I've never
lived anywhere where I can practice any of my languages, so going to Italy sounds
amazing, especially considering that I love Italy independent of the Italian language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 116
13 November 2013 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I thought this thread had died. I'm still in awe of the fact that a statement such as "language classes do not work" is
even debatable. If somebody had said "Language classes dd not work for me" or "Bad language classes do not work",
then I would see the basis for a discussion. But to imply that all language classes do not work is an outlandish
statement that flies in the face of reality. Some classes are good; some are bad, for all sorts of reasons. Classes
work for some people and not for others.

Self-study is great for some people but we all know that the vast majority of people who buy those books and
methods give up very quickly. Does anybody claim that "Self-study does NOT work" ?
You have to admit that someone who completes a full course will be better than someone who does everything they're told to do in class. And the former can be done much faster normally.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5210 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 60 of 116
14 November 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
The only thing I will admit is that a good language class can be very effective. I'm not saying that language
classes are better than anything else. All I'm saying that the combination of a good teacher, a good syllabus,
good materials and a small class size is very effective. Here are the reasons:

1. An good teacher provdes a learning road map, presents, explains the material, provides corrective feedback
and answers questions including points about current usage and particularly how to say things in the target
language.

2. A class provdes structure and discipline.

3. One can learn from the mistakes of other learners.

4. A pleasant class atmosphere can make learning more agreeable.

Finding a good class is another question. That's the real problem.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6330 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 61 of 116
15 November 2013 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Does anybody claim that "Self-study does NOT work" ?

Yes. There are many people who claim this, since it doesn't seem to work for them.
Serpent wrote:
You have to admit that someone who completes a full course will be better than someone who
does everything they're told to do in class.

Please give an example, because I honestly don't understand the statement.
Jheavner724 wrote:
I've yet to leave the U.S. and I've never lived anywhere where I can practice any of my
languages

I'll take the bait. I find this hard to believe for someone fluent in 10 languages. Please elaborate.
s_allard wrote:
The only thing I will admit is that a good language class can be very effective.

The classroom is a tool. You can use it to help you learn languages, or not. But without self study, you will fail.
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4608 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 62 of 116
15 November 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The only thing I will admit is that a good language class can be very
effective. I'm not saying that language
classes are better than anything else. All I'm saying that the combination of a good
teacher, a good syllabus,
good materials and a small class size is very effective. Here are the reasons:

1. An good teacher provdes a learning road map, presents, explains the material,
provides corrective feedback
and answers questions including points about current usage and particularly how to say
things in the target
language.

2. A class provdes structure and discipline.

3. One can learn from the mistakes of other learners.

4. A pleasant class atmosphere can make learning more agreeable.

Finding a good class is another question. That's the real problem.

If the teacher is a native speaker (which ideally should be the case), then a class
provides a native speaker model for the students to imitate and practice with.

At my school, none of the language teachers was native speaking. In the classes I have
subsequently attended as an adult, of varying kinds, only one was not a native speaker.

(In the UK, given that for the modern languages, only those of the EU are taught, and
that the EU provides for freedom of movement and employment between member countries,
one would have expected the school situation to have changed, but I don't know if that
is actually the case).

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3953 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 63 of 116
15 November 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Language classes obviously work, but it's worth pointing out that every class is a compromise of time available and money you have to spend. Given that this is the case, I'd be interested to know what people think the best compromise would be.

Would you rather spend your money on a smaller class size or more class time? And with certain languages, a native speaker also commands a hefty premium.

I was looking at a job in Japan the other day and it said the class sizes are a maximum of 6, but also said that most students only study once a week for 50 minutes. Would they be better off going in a class 3 times the size 3 times a week instead, but getting less individual attention? I generally teach 3 times a week, 2 hours a time, which is a pretty good schedule, I think. But my maximum class size is 18 (although I only actually have one above 12), which can be a problem when it comes to giving individual feedback. It's not necessarily a problem when it comes to communication practice, however, you just need to know how to set activities up to have the whole class speaking. Some people seem to be of the opinion that speaking without a teacher listening is pointless. I don't think that's even slightly the case.

But I guess if you could get actual one-on-one classes then you could use your limited time to greater effect by structuring it around your self-study and use your time with the teacher more efficiently.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 64 of 116
16 November 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Serpent wrote:
You have to admit that someone who completes a full course will be better than someone who does everything they're told to do in class.
Please give an example, because I honestly don't understand the statement
I'm yet to have had a class where you fully complete the main coursebook you work with, including exercises where you analyze instead of producing (e.g. identifying the function of a grammatical feature) and of course the listening exercises and everything you have on the CD. Way too many things are deemed "too easy", and the students miss out on comprehensible input they were intended to get. Of course supplemental materials can make up for that to some extent, but a learner who actually does everything and really masters the textbook will definitely be better, all else being equal.

Basically, if s_allard brings up the issue of people getting self-study books and then quitting, it should be noted that many people quit classes too. But the problem with classes is not that people quit them, it's that people can be very diligent students and still never get anywhere. Of course some ineffective techniques can lead to that in independent learners as well, but generally in independent learning, time+effort lead to success.

Edited by Serpent on 16 November 2013 at 7:06pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version