Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4318 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 113 of 116
23 December 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
I took an intensive German course at a Goethe Institute in Germany, 16 students in
class, for €1050, 3hr 45 mins per day, 17 days of instruction = $22/hr.

SO not worth it.

Interesting. I did the A1, A2 and B1 Goethe courses in Berlin a few years ago and really didn't find them that useful, but I that's my general feeling about courses.
2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3782 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 114 of 116
23 December 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Nature wrote:
I've realized this. At my school, I went into their language program and I am not enjoying it at all. However, I have one more semester to do until I graduate so I'm going to stick with it, but It has not been an enjoyable experience.

I've been taking Spanish for about 2 years at school and during the summer I went to Italy for about two months (to visit family) and learnt more Italian in those two months than the two years of Spanish classes.

Maybe it's my class, but it's just so... robotic. I feel more like I'm memorizing Spanish than actually learning it and this is bad because I have a final to do and I don't feel ready at all; I don't understand anything. Learning a language is about making mistakes when you speak, pronouncing things the wrong way. In those two months in Italy I made plenty of mistakes but I was understood nonetheless and improved on my mistakes. Yet in classes, when you do make mistakes, you are punished which I think is extremely wrong.

Then I took Mandarin. Once again, they did help a little but I felt like I learnt more Chinese from watching videos on Youtube than being in the actual class.

Depends what classes you take. Some classes are very, very good and effective while being efficient. I like them but that's me. They forced me to practice and learn. I would much prefer being taught by somebody that has education certification in person than distance learning. Different strokes for different folks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3867 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 115 of 116
24 December 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Gemuse wrote:
I took an intensive German course at a Goethe
Institute in Germany, 16 students in
class, for €1050, 3hr 45 mins per day, 17 days of instruction = $22/hr.

SO not worth it.

Interesting. I did the A1, A2 and B1 Goethe courses in Berlin a few years ago and really
didn't find them that useful, but I that's my general feeling about courses.

Your opinion agrees with mine :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Falkenstein
Triglot
Germany
Joined 3708 days ago

20 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Modern Hebrew
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 116 of 116
12 March 2014 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
I'm currently considering an intensive course at the Goethe Institut here in
Saigon. 4.5 hours a day, 5 days a week for 16 weeks: $805. That's just $2.24 an hour.

Wow, that's the best thing I've heard in a while. I would definitely do that. I can't believe how cheap it is
just because it's in Vietnam. I assume the classes and teachers are the same as anywhere else?!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version