Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
46 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 46
08 December 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I track the time I spend on languages and work every day. I've tracked it for last year
(lost half of it though) and this entire year. Looking at weekly averages, there is
pattern whatsoever that would suggest I'm more productive at a certain point of the
month.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 46
08 December 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I think it's because it's you :)
Anyway, do you track whether you were satisfied with the studying session? are you always satisfied? It's not like there's a magic time when everything is done better... there are just optimum times for this or that activity. As I said, I'm sure it's because you're such an experienced language learner that you get a lot done regardless of the phase. You probably do some of this subconsciously and/or allow yourself to do what you want:) good:)
Try including the day of the cycle and a brief comment (when there's anything to mention). Some examples could be "not very focused when reading" or "did lots of repetitions today" or "ended up watching a Spanish movie instead of skype conversations - too tired to speak"... this sort of thing. a couple of my own examples were "productive day, got a lot done, but so i'm so hyper that i almost lost the new books i bought" or "constant typos today" (during the period).

Don't we all just love it when everything goes smoothly and we're productive? :D the aim of this whole thing is to manage our time so that we always did stuff at the right moment - when we can do it best. of course if you're a language geek and understand how grammar works, you'll understand it as easily during ovulation as in the "active" phase (after your period). but someone new to language learning may find they understand it better when they're more capable of thinking logically (rather than when being all emotional during ovulation or depressed during pms).

It's not always bad to put things off, it's not always procrastination. If you're waiting for the right phase of the cycle, you're optimizing your time.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 46
09 December 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
oh and...
Sprachprofi wrote:
Looking at weekly averages,
They might not be meaningful. For example if your day 1 is a Wednesday, all the phases will probably start around Wednesday - active after the "hibernation" (day 7), emotional and loving (day 14, ovulation), pissed off but creative (day 21, pms) and then the next cycle begins. Of course the next phase might also start on a Tuesday or Thursday, but your week will still consist of two halves or 2 days one phase/5 days another.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 46
09 December 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Hm. I am happy for those who find a pattern which works for them. Personally I am with Hampie on this
one. Excruciating pain will hinder any sort of learning, but after having given birth twice all the pains went
away, and PMS is something I have only read about. However we are all so different, that I have no doubt
this system can yield good results for some.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 16 of 46
09 December 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
I'm so surprised at the lack of enthusiasm here:/ Was I clear about how it works in my original post? Why does everyone seem to think that if you haven't noticed it, it won't work for you? What if it's there, just waiting to be discovered by you?

The thing is that often the bad sides are easier to notice. I must've thought many times "argh I'm clumsy today" when in fact I was in my active phase and could've got A LOT done if I had simply realized. There's just too much energy and it should go somewhere, so if you're not using your full potential, you'll be frustrated and not even realize why. And as I've already mentioned, same applies to PMS.

Next time you feel like everything's gone wrong for no reason, see what phase you're in and what it's the optimum time for (:

Edited by Serpent on 09 December 2011 at 11:31am

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version