Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 25 of 46
09 December 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well since I am not really efficient at work until 5 in the afternoon, but am super efficient with housework in
the morning, I am perfectly willing to believe that " normal working hours" are better adapted to men.

Different people prefer different times of day. About 2% of people are nocturnal, for instance. This isn't a matter of gender.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 46
09 December 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure this preference also has to do with hormones.
And I've read that artificial lighting affects this a lot... I often end up going to bed at 7, 8, 9 am but it's a matter of not being able to stop. I do feel better when I go to sleep earlier than this but as long as I still get enough sleep my productivity has more to do with the phase of the cycle than the time of the day.
Interesting mention btw, thanks a lot. I'd not exactly consider myself nocturnal, I guess for me going to bed at 7 is like a *normal* person "staying up late" till 2am or whatever they consider late.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 46
09 December 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I can attest that hormones can play a HUGE role in what you can get done and when. I have not tried to keep track of it at all, but I would think that this could hold true for many women.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I will however not claim that anything is wrong just because I do not believe in it.

I think this is 100% true. Even if it doesn't work for one person, it doesn't mean it won't work for others.
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5768 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 28 of 46
09 December 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
I can be quite badly effected by PMS and can attest to the fact that I am more tired and irritable at this time and I find it harder to sleep, which can have an impact on my performance (although I must stress I can still function as a normal adult - just a tired and grumpy one!) On top of this my cycle is all over the place anyway, so it's not like I can plan my life around it - and I am definitely effected more badly some months than others. I think you just have to take it easy on yourself when you're having down days (for whatever reason) but then reach for the sky when you're on top form.

I do often wonder if life would be easier if I was a man though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 46
10 December 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I can be quite badly effected by PMS and can attest to the fact that I am more tired and irritable at this time and I find it harder to sleep, which can have an impact on my performance (although I must stress I can still function as a normal adult - just a tired and grumpy one!) On top of this my cycle is all over the place anyway, so it's not like I can plan my life around it - and I am definitely effected more badly some months than others. I think you just have to take it easy on yourself when you're having down days (for whatever reason) but then reach for the sky when you're on top form.

I do often wonder if life would be easier if I was a man though.
while you can't plan your whole life (as of now;), you can plan longer term projects this way. there's some advice about PMS on these sites, the main one is to do something creative - could be creative writing in your target language too? :))))))

the thing is that you might think you're having a down day because you're trying to do what you did yesterday or a couple of days ago and can't do it as effortlessly. this might be because the phase has changed. as i've already said, for me active=clumsy. now i'm fine with this tradeoff, i get a lot done and i try to be cautious. but what if i didn't know and tried to do something that i can do better in the more passive phases? i'd feel i was failing at everything - unable to do things well AND clumsy! not fun XD i'm sure it's happened many times in the past.

and tracking will let you see when to reach for the sky<333

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5552 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 30 of 46
10 December 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I suffer from hypothyreosis and used to suffer from PMS until the hypothyrosis was diagnosed and my treatment started. From this experience I firmly believe that for me, environmental factors (including my own behaviour: the environment I create myself) make much more of a difference on my mood than any fluctuation in hormonal levels I experienced so far.

I honestly do not want to get started on the way those texts are written, because I don't have the time for it. But if, by any rare chance, you want to read what Ihave to say about them I can give it a shot once I'm done with my upcoming exams.

Edited by Bao on 10 December 2011 at 11:17pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 31 of 46
11 December 2011 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I suffer from hypothyreosis and used to suffer from PMS until the hypothyrosis was diagnosed and my treatment started.
symptoms of many illnesses get worse around this time. maybe it wasn't actually PMS and you're lucky to be "PMS-free" by default.

Weird, I never considered myself particularly "open to new things, blablabla" but I started tracking the day I discovered this and I'm very glad I did.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 32 of 46
01 March 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I gave the link to this thread (and to my log) to Miranda Gray and here is a reply from her:

The reason this is 'pseudoscience' is because no one is willing to put money into researching the concept. This begs the question, why is the menstrual cycle and it's effect on women so underrated or still taboo in the 'modern' world. Secondly from personal experience, I work with a wide number of female translators and journalists who notice the difference in their skills depending on their cycle phase. What we have is a growing body of experiential evidence that shows there is something happening in women related to their cycles and skillsets. My approach is very much one of recognising the changes in ourselves and then practically applying them to our benefit. If science would like to catch up then great, but if there is no money in it, then the big companies will not pay for the research. In the meantime we women can get on with observing, experimenting, and applying our knowledge. My background is originally as a scientist (I have a geophysics degree) but science now is extremely limited by money and commerce. The best laboratory is the world and women!

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version