Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6836 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 49 of 169
31 August 2005 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Getting to people to speak Korean in Korea is pretty easy. Hardly no one here speaks English that I have met. And many of those that do are too shy to try it. For some people though, it's quite common to use "Konglish" ...which is fine by me to a certain extent - we both get to practice what we want, so it's all good.
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7135 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 169
06 November 2005 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I just had to deal with this problem in Rome with an enthusiastic wine-waiter who could not speak any other language than English as soon as he was in the presence of a confirmed foreigner. A dose of a hefty medicine was needed and I started to translate everything he told me aloud in English back into Italian to people at my table. After two phrases we were safely back in Italian and everybody was happy.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6851 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 51 of 169
06 November 2005 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
... A dose of a hefty medicine was needed and I started to translate everything he told me aloud in English back into Italian to people at my table. After two phrases we were safely back in Italian and everybody was happy.

Thanks for posting this. That is a good one I’ll have to remember. There is hope for native-born English speakers trying not to speak English.

Edited by Farley on 06 November 2005 at 7:33pm

hagen
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6719 days ago

171 posts - 179 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 52 of 169
09 November 2005 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
I think much of "language choosing" is a subconscious process. People will mostly choose the language which they think will make communication easiest. Whether this is the local language is probably rather irrelevant.

Of course, they might be wrong because of false expectations ("Foreigners don't speak my language, they speak English."). So if your command of the target language is really better than their English, you should be able to get the idea across. This happened to me with several Mandarin language partners who talked more and more Mandarin with me (to my advantage and their own disadvantage). And e.g. in China and Korea there's no lack of people without functional English, so the problem is rather small.

Administrator's trick is useful, of course, if English would really be the better choice of language - from a communication point of view. It helps you to force the subconscious "language negotiation" into your intended direction.

I can imagine how talking English with an English native speaker in Germany would seem more comfortable to me than talking German. If I was not convinced that he could understand my German easily, I would feel obliged to talk slow and simple German, which would be more cumbersome than talking English in the first place.

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6864 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 53 of 169
09 November 2005 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
hagen wrote:
I would feel obliged to talk slow and simple German, which would be more cumbersome than talking English in the first place.

Yes I do recognise that. When I succeeded to convince Spaniards that they could speak Spanish to me, there came a stage that they would speak to me much more slowly then they would do to a native speaker, this can be helpfull for the beginner but frustrating for the advanced speaker who feels like " okay, I do understand you hurry up please". In some cases I could get rid of this problem just by explaining them that they could speak to me as if they were speaking to a Spaniard.

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6836 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 54 of 169
09 November 2005 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
oops ;)

Edited by andee on 09 November 2005 at 9:58pm

Brent
Groupie
United States
Joined 6773 days ago

55 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 55 of 169
09 November 2005 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Keep in mind that he said there are lots of people without functional English.

andee wrote:
hagen wrote:
And e.g. in China and Korea there's no lack of people without functional English, so the problem is rather small.

I disagree.. I've been in Korea for 3 months now and I have met hardly anyone that speaks good English. A lot of people working in the markets can tell you how much things are and stuff like that, but beyond that the standard of English here isn't all that great. I'm just glad I speak (relatively poor) Korean because I don't know what I would do if it I couldn't. Other students with no Korean knowledge have told me it is extremely difficult to get around - and I know they mainly eat at restaurants with pictures.

Yes, there are certain areas with more English speakers, but on the whole, Seoul is a Korean language learners fantasy ;-)

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6671 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 56 of 169
14 February 2006 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
I must admit that if an American would try to speak to me in broken Lithuanian in a street of Vilnius with huge American accent so that I must stretch my ear in order to understand him I would propose to switch to English although my English maybe would be so ugly as his Lithuanian. Yet if he would ask me to speak Lithuanian in order to practice Lithuanian, I would consider the request.

However people should not forget that in order to have a better accent one should at first listen passively for 6 month or maybe even a year to the target language(even without understanding) and only then start to learn actively. In this way accent would be significantly reduced.

Because when we listen our mouth organs move. If we listen an unfamiliar language, our mouth does not know yet how to move correctly therefore we understand nothing, since only by moving our speech organs we can understand. Be if we peresevere, the sounds of the target language pervade our brain and our mouth and set them into a correct motion.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version