Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4659 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 9 of 12
11 December 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Well, sometimes we native speakers do not really master our mother tongue, just sort of
'know' when something sounds right or not. At least that happens with me :)

Anyway, I think that the gerund can be used almost always e.g. when being asked what is
happening at the moment/what you are doing.

In the case of the imperfect, "aprendía" sounds like "I used to learn", giving a sense
of something that happened quite a long time ago. I think it could also be used in a
poetic way. "Yo estaba aprendiendo" sounds like "I was learning", and I believe it fits
wether it was last week or years ago. Of course both mean non-finished or on-going
actions in the past.

Hope this helps a bit.

1 person has voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4662 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 12
11 December 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I've always treated the tenses like July above:
Imperfect is more habitual and gerund somewhat punctual/interrupted/background informative

That's what I was going to say, but when I checked my grammar book (Routledge's Modern Spanish Grammar, by Juan Kattan-Ibara and Christopher J Pountain) I couldn't see anything to support that claim. In fact, I only found examples of interrupted action using the plain imperfect, not the imperfect + continuous.

I'm confused now....

I'm confused too.

I'm beginning to think that this is a good reason for language students to do a lot of reading. After all, real-life usage is the final arbiter in all such debates, and long-time exposure should, in theory, help one develop the much coveted Sprachgefühl.

I'm going to keep a small note pad with me when I read in Spanish and make an informal tally of when each construction is used and what the apparent intent was. It will be interesting to see what I learn from that exercise.

For example, I just grabbed one of the books I've already read (Harry Potter Vol 1) and opened it up at random and scanned for the first instance of either form. I found this sentence right after Neville had received a magical remembering device ("Recordadora") as a gift:

"Neville estaba tratando de recordar qué era lo que había olvidado, cuando Draco Malfoy, que pasaba al lado de la mesa de Gryffindor, le quitó la Recordadora de las manos."

"X1 eataba tratando ... cuando X2, que pasaba ..., le quitó ..."
The English original was:
"X1 was trying to... when X2, who was passing ..., snatched it...."

So we have continuous action one (trying), followed by shorter embedded, and somewhat incidental continuous action two (passing by), when continuous action one is interrupted by action three (snatched).

It's little puzzles like this that make language learning so fascinating.

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4546 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 11 of 12
14 December 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
''Peninsular informants said está lloviendo on seeing rain through the window, and thought that llueve, in this case, sounded vaguely poetic or archaic''.

A New Reference Grammar of Spoken Spanish. John Butt & Carmen Benjamin
4th edition

Edited by Camundonguinho on 14 December 2011 at 5:38am

Políglota
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Italian, Russian
Studies: Turkish, Georgian, Persian

Message 12 of 12
15 January 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
July wrote:
I'm not sure, but I'd guess that "yo aprendía" is more like 'I would learn/was learning
Spanish (all that year/everyday during summer, etc)' while "yo estaba aprendiendo" is
more like 'I was learning Spanish (when my house caught fire)'.

But perhaps it's not that different. Someone native want to clarify?

That is true at least in Mexican Spanish. Yo estaba aprendiendo implies, in a direct way, something happened that forced you to interrupt the action. You could use this construction to answer the question

-¿Qué estabas haciendo cuándo sonó el teléfono?

-Estaba aprendiendo nuevas palabras, etc.

I was learning new words, but the ring of the phone interrupted my train of thought.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version