bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 17 of 64
13 December 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
H.Computatralis wrote:
Assuming everyone starts from scratch then everyone should still pretty much be at A1 level.

Then we shall aim for A2!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 64
13 December 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Serpent, what can you tell us about standard language vs. spoken language?
The dialects make more sense when you know how to say it in the standard language. For me that's like Finnish vs Estonian - the latter looks like a total mess but I see what's been changed or taken away. (Also same with Portuguese vs Spanish - the former makes so much more sense! :P) Anyway, all *proper* resources use the standard language. Wow, not all but almost. I just found this, looks good for the intermediate level: http://www.uusikielemme.fi/book8.html

I think for beginners, many songs are good enough as an introduction to the spoken language. Most dialectal/spoken forms used in them are those that should make sense to any native speaker.

BTW, an interesting test at the end of the month would be to try to transcribe a short snippet in a dialect. I can only think of the band Verjnuarmu, heh (Verinaarmu btw). The vocals are very clear, you know, like those songs that fit perfectly for language learning... only, it's all obviously in a dialect, the lovely Savo one <3 Interestingly, I often hear what I expect to hear and looking at transcripts/lyrics I see some dialectal forms that I heard as the standard ones. Since the expression "tuning your ear" is often used about dialects, I'm sure I'm not the only one either:)

So, master the basics in the standard language and add some puhekieli as soon as needed or as soon as you feel ready.

Oh and if any native speakers of Russian will be participating, it would be great to see how well this method works:)

Edited by Serpent on 20 December 2011 at 12:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 19 of 64
13 December 2011 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
BTW, an interesting test at the end of the month would be to try to transcribe a short snippet in a dialect.

But... if we are devoting 45 hours to standard Finnish, why would we try to transcribe a dialect?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 64
13 December 2011 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Serpent wrote:
BTW, an interesting test at the end of the month would be to try to transcribe a short snippet in a dialect.

But... if we are devoting 45 hours to standard Finnish, why would we try to transcribe a dialect?
because you'll probably understand one or two simple sentences well :) obviously I meant this in addition to other tests!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 21 of 64
16 December 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Just a note that we still need to enlist the help of volunteer native speakers of Finnish, especially to assist with testing at the end of the challenge. If you are interested, please let us know!

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4815 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 22 of 64
17 December 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
I'd love to make an injection to my Finnish and bump it up a level, but I'm not a beginner. At my best, I'm somewhere in the B1 or B2 by the CEFR standards, but I've also been out of country for 9 years.

I'd love to do something with this if it would fit the nature of the challenge.

For my own 6WCs next year, I was thinking of doing French and Russian with perhaps German and Japanese. I could be changed to do something with Finnish, though. I love that language.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 23 of 64
19 December 2011 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I have to admit this challenge is very tempting. I won't know if I'm able to partake until much nearer the time. The fact it's limited to 45 hours makes it even better.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 24 of 64
24 December 2011 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Back to the roots! The first 6 Week Challenge was not about studying as much as
possible, but rather comparing what a similar amount of study time could achieve, if
people were all starting from scratch but using different methods. Well, the
participants of the 6 Week Challenge were too diverse, studying different languages
with different prior knowledge and different time commitment, so the 6 Week Challenge
adapted. Helping people find new ways to integrate their target language into their
lives, and spend more time on it, is a worthy cause; I am happy with the goal of the 6
Week Challenge as it is now and I have had nothing but good feedback for the addition
of Twitter and study graphs.

Anyway, recently I was talking with Arekkusu about the old idea, about how
awesome it would be to compare the effectiveness of passive-then-active Assimil
vs. speaking from day 1 vs. Listening-Reading vs. what-have-you, cramming vocabulary
with an SRS or letting it accumulate naturally... and we want to give it a go! I was
even able to drag 3 more language geeks into this madness: Volte, Doviende and
Ellasevia

The plan is to spend 30 days studying Finnish (nicely unrelated to our previous
studies) in & around February, that is, concurrently with the February 6 Week Challenge
but ending early. In contrast to the 6WC, this challenge has a set amount of hours: we
want to do 45 hours of study in that time (or, in the case of Ellasevia,
complete his 45 hours of Finnish then), not more and hopefully also not less. Every one
of us will use whatever method(s) he considers most effective. Then, at the end of the
challenge, we will do detailed testing - reading comprehension, listening
comprehension, writing, speaking - in order to see where the benefits of each approach
lie. For this, we hope to enlist the help of an experienced teacher of Finnish, ideally
someone who has experience testing people according to the CEFR. If you know anyone,
please let us know. We'd also welcome the help of any native speakers who wish to
assist us during the challenge.

So, crazy or awesome? You decide.

If the experiment would also consider people using whatever courses they've gathered, then it may of interest to read the impressions of a Belgian woman who learned Finnish on books and courses that she's used or examined.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version