bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 49 of 64
13 March 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Yes, that's my goal. It's some Japanese, no?

Oh, it's SOME Japanese, alright. Might want to leave your calendar open for a bit... ;)

Edited by Arekkusu on 13 March 2012 at 12:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 50 of 64
14 March 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

Oh, it's SOME Japanese, alright. Might want to leave your calendar open for a bit... ;)

Don't get me wrong, I know it will take time. It's "learning some Japanese" as opposed to
"learning Japanese", which would imply learning a whole lot of skills that I don't want
to focus on at this point. And my promise was to "learn some Japanese" because I cannot
promise to "learn Japanese", cannot even promise to make my goal. Still, it's good to
have a goal.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 51 of 64
14 March 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I know it will take time. It's "learning some Japanese" as opposed to
"learning Japanese", which would imply learning a whole lot of skills that I don't want
to focus on at this point. And my promise was to "learn some Japanese" because I cannot
promise to "learn Japanese", cannot even promise to make my goal. Still, it's good to
have a goal.

Don't you mean "some" goal?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 52 of 64
14 March 2012 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
In case some member somehow bugs me too much, there will be some chance that my Japanese
experiment will terminate somewhat sooner than expected, something I would regret sometime in the future.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 53 of 64
16 March 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
WHO VOTED FOR THAT?!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 54 of 64
16 March 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
WHO VOTED FOR THAT?!

I don't know who the first was, but you now tempted me into being the second, Arekkusu. Never mess with a woman.:-)

Have a lovely week end.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 55 of 64
16 March 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
WHO VOTED FOR THAT?!

I don't know who the first was, but you now tempted me into being the second, Arekkusu. Never mess with a woman.:-)

Have a lovely week end.

You'll notice how easy it was to manipulate a woman into voting for that post.

Lovely week end to you too.   :)

*running away quickly*
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 56 of 64
22 March 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Results of the oral test are in!!!

The following evaluation was written by our devoted Finnish tester, Lari:

Pronunciation

Everyone of you three spoke Finnish! That was clear from the beginning. You know the basic things: long and short phonemes, stress etc. Though Arekkusu read quite slowly, I would say that his pronunciation was the best. Especially the length of phonemes was very good (only some problems at the end of the long words where his long vowels tended to be a bit too long). Sprachprofi was quicker, but not as accurate. L-sound was a little bit distant from my l (and too short in double Ls), same with r (which is a bit too soft). Mostly correct though (the length of vowels and consonants etc). Ellasevia was not bad either, but of you three his accuracy was the worst. The phonemes are ok, but he cheated a little bit while reading: I can’t hear all the syllables. In the long words, there seems to be something like extra stresses later on in the words. But as I said, I understood all of you.

Conversation

I had a little chat with everyone. Of course we had a common language ready to be used in the case of misunderstandings (I mean English). But still: you are able to speak about basic things in life. You all had some problems understanding my question, but that is very predictable at this level. On the other hand, you all formed some nice correct sentences. Sprachprofi and Arekkusu were a little bit more correct in the grammar, but Ellasevia, on the other hand, was a bit more fluent. As we are not actually judging grammar skills here (of course the grammar has to be good enough for me to understand what you try to say), I would say that Ellasevia won this one. It might be that the difference comes from the vocabulary. Hard to say after so short conversations. Anyway, the difference between you three in conversation skills is quite minimal.

Level

Ok. And then question about the level of your language skills. After such a short test, this isn’t “scientifically valid” but I think that you can live with it.

I would say that your production skills are A2. Not very clearly, but still. You all wrote a text that is clearly above the A1 definition. You all were able to form easily understandable utterances when we spoke. Ellasevia had a stronger A2 in writing than Sprachprofi and Arekkusu.

When it comes to understanding, you are somewhere between A1 and A2. No clear difference here between you three. Reading was easier for you, but I suppose that the use of dictionary would not be allowed in formal tests. The main problem in Finnish speaking environment would be to understand what people say.

So there you have it. 30 days, 35 hours, 0 to A2 in Finnish.

Edited by Arekkusu on 22 March 2012 at 7:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version