United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 25 of 64
23 January 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
This is pretty interesting. It's going to be exciting to see so many people studying Finnish.   I think I'm just going to keep working on Finnish myself, but I know how good some of you guys are. I need to keep studying just so you don't pass me up. Heh.

I suggest at the end of 30 days, just write something in Finnish, anything you please, but no books, no dictionaries, no computers, maybe give a time limit of about an evening. Post to lang-8 and see what kind of corrections come in.

Edited by cathrynm on 23 January 2012 at 10:37am

1 person has voted this message useful

JNetto
Groupie
United States
verbumpopuli.blogspoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4741 days ago

43 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC1

Message 26 of 64
01 February 2012 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
This is pretty interesting. It's going to be exciting to see so many
people studying Finnish.   I think I'm just going to keep working on Finnish myself, but
I know how good some of you guys are. I need to keep studying just so you don't pass me
up. Heh.

I suggest at the end of 30 days, just write something in Finnish, anything you please,
but no books, no dictionaries, no computers, maybe give a time limit of about an evening.
Post to lang-8 and see what kind of corrections come in.

Hi Cathrynm, I'm in the Finnish challenge and I hope we can count on your input too! By
the way, what is the lang8? :|

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5103 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 27 of 64
01 February 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
JNetto wrote:
cathrynm wrote:
This is pretty interesting. It's going to be
exciting to see so many
people studying Finnish.   I think I'm just going to keep working on Finnish myself,
but
I know how good some of you guys are. I need to keep studying just so you don't pass
me
up. Heh.

I suggest at the end of 30 days, just write something in Finnish, anything you please,
but no books, no dictionaries, no computers, maybe give a time limit of about an
evening.
Post to lang-8 and see what kind of corrections come in.

Hi Cathrynm, I'm in the Finnish challenge and I hope we can count on your input too! By
the way, what is the lang8? :|

Lang-8 is a site where you write blogs in your target language and you get natives to
correct them and vice-versa.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 28 of 64
01 February 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Lang-8

Hmm, I thought everyone on this website knew about lang-8. I have gotten Finnish corrected there. This would allow any passing Finnish person to correct as they have time, without pushing anyone into a huge time commitment.   

Really, I think if you guys manage to learn the vocabulary, you'll be fine. You may make mistakes with output, but, you know, I think that's the extent of it.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 29 of 64
27 February 2012 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Due to clashes with real life, we have decided that 35 hours is more realistic at this
point, so that we can still do a comparison. After the exam, participants are free to
continue up to 45 hours and beyond.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6311 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 30 of 64
27 February 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Could we get a summary of the following:

Who is "in", using what method, hours put in?
Their thoughts on the method?
Where they think they stand?

I think it would be great to get this type of feedback, type of self-evaluation, *prior* to testing!

Edited by zenmonkey on 27 February 2012 at 1:38pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5901 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 31 of 64
27 February 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Due to clashes with real life, we have decided that 35 hours is more realistic at this
point, so that we can still do a comparison. After the exam, participants are free to

I didn't know about this until just now, and I'm already nearing the 45-hour mark -- certainly well beyond 35 hours, in any case. Would it be easier to simply not have me be tested with everyone else since my circumstances are already so different from the rest?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 32 of 64
27 February 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
Due to clashes with real life, we have decided
that 35 hours is more realistic at this

I didn't know about this until just now, and I'm already nearing the 45-hour mark --
certainly well beyond 35 hours, in any case. Would it be easier to simply not have me be
tested with everyone else since my circumstances are already so different from the rest?

Your situation was already different from the get-go. It's up to you to determine whether
you feel like you have something to gain from the testing.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version