bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 41 of 64
12 March 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Another post to announce two things:

1) We are also doing oral tests! As you can imagine, though, this test is taking place 1 to 2 weeks after the end of our studies, so it will not reflect what we could have done during the challenge. I did the test Sunday morning and I know that previous discussions with my partner were a lot more fluid. However, our evaluator was really interested in doing the oral part, so we agreed to it.

2) Our evaluator told me that our written test results were equivalent to those of 2nd year students in his university classes, so I think we did really well!
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4820 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 42 of 64
12 March 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
The big question I have to all you participants with Finnish is, "Will you continue with the language?"

I dearly love Finnish and it is in many ways my best language other than my native English. Have any of you enjoyed it enough to keep on doing it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 43 of 64
12 March 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
I would keep going because I do like it too, except that my main project is Japanese and I still have lots of work to do before I'm satisfied. At this point, it was just a side project for me.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 64
12 March 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
So now an optional dialect test from me:)
Try to transcribe the first two lines of this song (from here to 1:36). More if you want to, but I warn you, the song gets heavier after that :)
Ideally, provide a transcript the way you hear it, as well as a "translation" into standard Finnish; then find the lyrics online and edit your translation if needed (please keep your original translation as well!!!). Dictionary use is okay but don't google before you're done, as you're likely to see the full lines, and this will spoil the fun.

Anyone is very welcome to try<333

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6090 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 45 of 64
13 March 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

2) Our evaluator told me that our written test results were equivalent to those of 2nd year students in his university classes, so I think we did really well!

That's great but we all know how language classes look like so in my mind the comparison is pretty meaningless. I'm just curious as to what CEFR level we're talking about here.

Anyway, regardless of the level it was a very interesting experiment. Congratulations to all!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 46 of 64
13 March 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
The big question I have to all you participants with Finnish is, "Will
you continue with the language?"

I dearly love Finnish and it is in many ways my best language other than my
native English. Have any of you enjoyed it enough to keep on doing it?

Finnish was never on my hit list, but now that I've studied it some, I can imagine
studying more in the future. For 2012, my plans are already set though: I need to promote
my beginner languages to intermediate/advanced and I promised someone I'd pick up some
Japanese...

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 47 of 64
13 March 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
For 2012, my plans are already set though: I need to promote
my beginner languages to intermediate/advanced and I promised someone I'd pick up some
Japanese...

"some" Japanese? Wasn't it more along the lines of "enough Japanese to understand a TV
show about Go"?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 48 of 64
13 March 2012 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that's my goal. It's some Japanese, no?

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version