justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5197 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 113 of 138
17 April 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
blackdahlia wrote:
Just popping in quickly to wave hi to everyone!

I feel off a little in the last month, but I'm dusting back off and getting back on. Last night cracked open Assimil (I missed their corniness) and will hopefully get back to FIA this weekend.

<waves back>

I love Assimil and their corniness. The German is BY FAR the best in that regard. French is pretty good, too, though. I am so excited they have just come out with a new Croatian program that is updated, too. =) I don't know if it'll be as corny as the others, though.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5193 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 114 of 138
18 April 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
I would also like to join late if possible as I started my log a little over a week ago.
I'm working on French at an advanced level, around C1 aiming to hit C2, while immersed in
Paris for at least a few more months (hopefully another year is in the cards). In
addition I've just started Spanish and a little bit of Irish. My long term language goals
include Portuguese and why not Italian after that, but those will come well after I have
a good knowledge of Spanish.

And voilà a link to my log, if you'll have me :-) http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31901&PN=1

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4707 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 115 of 138
23 April 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
Hi sctroyenne! :)

Sorry for the delay, but I just remembered your message now and included your log and languages to our team thread today.

Alors, bienvenue au sein du team!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5193 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 116 of 138
26 April 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Merci ! Bonne continuation and good luck to all the other Romantics !

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4691 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 117 of 138
27 April 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Aloha all! I'm back from my wanderings. I'll get back to my log as soon as I catch up
at work (or at least, when I'm not so far behind). I had a pretty amazing trip.
Here's my "language trip report."

Catalan (Barcelona, 5 days) - I did about fifteen hours of study, so I had no
illusions of actually knowing much. There was definitely no practical benefit for
this, and it might have actually hurt me in the real world! I'd try to speak, and
sometimes some Spanish would come out, and sometimes Italian, and sometimes Catalan.
If I was lucky it would be a full phrase in one single language, but usually it was
some Romantic mush with a little bit of everything thrown in.

But I would still study it again.

Italian (Rome, six days) - I did about 65 hours of study, and felt comfortable
with basic communication. I loved the Italian language, I loved Rome, and I will be
back one day.

I tried to do some FSI lessons while in Italy, at the coffee shops or over wine, but
FSI isn't really conducive for study while on the road. I think a Teach Yourself-type
book would've been better for the level I was at.

I guess my accent was good - there were a couple people who tried to carry on full
conversations with me, not realizing at first that I could only understand a small
fraction of what they said.

Derja / Tunisian Arabic (Tunisia, 10 days) - No luck. I spoke French in
Tunisia. If I study Arabic again it will be one of the major colloquial dialects, one
that has more material for the student. I was also traveling with a monolingual buddy
for this part of the trip, so I wasn't as immersed in the language as I was in Italy
and Spain.

French (Paris, 6 days) - I was also with an English-speaking buddy for Paris. I
know that my accent and grammar were atrocious, but I was able to handle almost all
basic travelling needs in French. This was a pretty big advance for me. In the
touristed areas people would usually switch to English, but otherwise everyone was very
supportive and encouraging of my attempts to speak.

I listened to Michel Thomas Language Builder in my down time. It was an excellent
program to use on the road. Almost every phrase he taught was useful (as in, I'd hear
a phrase and think, I could've used that this morning! And then I was ready to use it
when the next opportunity arose).

Language Builder is fast-paced; I don't think it would've helped me if I didn't have a
solid base already.

----------------------------

I'm continuing on with Assimil Le Français en Pratique, and should finish in a couple
weeks. I'm going to ease up on the intensity of study for awhile, and just stick to
one language and go at an easy pace!

Though ... my coworker and his wife are starting Japanese, and it is tempting ...
3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4691 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 118 of 138
03 May 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Roll Call ...

Who's left? I haven't seen anything in a couple months from almost a dozen of the
group. This is my count of who's still actually posting:

Mani
Hendrek
Kerrie
Microsnout
Songlines
Gary
Kanewai
Tw561
Quabazaa

Cmdo2
Cihlomorka
Gatsby42
Sctroyenne

Am I missing anyone?

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4707 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 119 of 138
03 May 2012 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Aloha oe! Nice to have you back Kanewai. :) Seems like you had a great trip.

Yes, Japanese is a very tempting language and it's addictive - so consider yourself [as] warned*...

About your call, do you think it would be compromising if I'd mark the ones who haven't posted for a while on the first post of this thread? Saying something like: "No update or participation in a members log since (don't know) 1 March 2012." So that we know who's still around?

*How would I say that correctly? My English is defective at the moment, there's a whole lot of French ready to sneak in, not speaking of the original German sentence structures floating through my head.

Edited by Mani on 03 May 2012 at 9:47am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5197 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 120 of 138
03 May 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:

Yes, Japanese is a very tempting language and it's addictive - so consider yourself [as] warned*...

*How would I say that correctly? My English is defective at the moment, there's a whole lot of French ready to sneak in, not speaking of the original German sentence structures floating through my head.

Consider yourself warned!

This discussion contains 138 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version