Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5639 days ago

57 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Polish, English
Studies: Spanish, French, Italian

Message 9 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
As for the topic, for me the language itself has always been the best reason to learn any language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 10 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Oleg wrote:
Mark, I'm sure you're going to think I'm not only trolling but also
following you thread after thread, but I can't help it: Russian isn't a typical Slavic
language. Actually, it's not even a typical East Slavic one. =)

Why do you think so? What are the specific features which make russian different from all
the Slavic languages?

Edited by Марк on 13 December 2011 at 5:34pm

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 11 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
General reasons applicable to any language:

1.) Needed for work or business.

2.) Needed for personal reasons, e.g. family.

3.) Of linguistic interest.

Objective unique features:

1.) Large number of native and secondary speakers.

2.) Language important in the arts.

3.) Language important in the sciences and mathematics.

Subjective:

Many consider it one of the more appealing languages to the ear.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 12 of 64
13 December 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Although all the reasons given so far are excellent, for me it's the opportunity to actually SPEAK it on a regular basis (ideally one-to-one rather than Skype). Associated with this are opportunities to form some great friendships.
So the social reasons outweigh the cultural, although if the language opens up other avenues that's a bonus.
There are Russians living all over the UK, but I've started with Polish (in Germany, I'd definitely consider learning Turkish.)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 13 of 64
13 December 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
We have a thread going now, about attitudes towards Russian, which is getting more and more heated. I have suggested that they give us some good reason to study Russian, but perhaps they feel that this would derail the thread, so I am opening up a new one.

What are your reasons to study Russian, or what do you think are the best reasons to study Russian, whether you study it yourself or not?

My personal reasons for studying Russian is that it is useful for my work, since the organisation that we are working with is filling up with Russian speakers who do not speak Western languages well. I also have friends in Ukraine that I need to keep in touch with.

And I must say that I have fallen head over heels in love with the language. It is more difficult than anything else I have ever done, but I love the sound of it, and I even love the grammar - complicated as it is.

On a side note, I was offered a job in the Armenian railways on Thursday, because I was able to greet the high official who only spoke Russian, in his mother tongue. As I suspected the job offer entailed tasks not normally covered by Norwegian work contracts, I politely declined :-)

Answers here are highly dependent on the user.

As for myself, my strongest motivation to learn at least some Russian is to use learning material for minority Uralic or Altaic languages that is published with Russian as the intermediary language. I also have some interest in it for philological reasons but I wouldn't necessarily need to learn to use Russian as much as read more about its structure for purposes of comparison.

Whatever else is associated with Russian (i.e. culture, people) barely register with me. They don't interest me much.

However I've been on here long enough for people to figure out that there's a negative relationship between a language's "cultural profile", prestige or popularity and my willingness to study it. Give me the "useless" or "impossible" languages any day of the week over the "useful" or "easy" ones.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 64
13 December 2011 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Oleg wrote:
Mark, I'm sure you're going to think I'm not only trolling but also following you thread after thread,

I challenged you both, so you are most welcome to this thread, particularly if you come up with some reasons to study Russian which make people run and get their Russian books!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 13 December 2011 at 7:41pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 15 of 64
13 December 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
so you are most welcome to this thread, particularly if you
come up with some reeasons to study Russian which make people run and get their Russian
books!

Thank you. But why do you want me to find a reason?

Edited by Марк on 13 December 2011 at 5:40pm

Oleg
Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5639 days ago

57 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Polish, English
Studies: Spanish, French, Italian

Message 16 of 64
13 December 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Why do you think so? What are the specific features which make russian different from all
the Slavic languages?

First of all, the unique way it's gone in its development, which came to what we consider Russian now: an artificial language that has not much to do with its numerous ancestors.
Here's a good, although a bit extreme, article on it: http://www.una-unso.info/articlePrint/id-4/subid-17/artid-22 38/lang-ukr/index.html

Russian is a Slavic language for sure, but rather in terms of grammar.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version