United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4673 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 9 of 83
13 December 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Meramarina!
Hmm for a name... I'm wondering how you would say "glutton for punishment" in Polish... I think, at least in my case, it's very fitting as I'm sure a whole year of studying Polish will be quite a challenge! But hopefully fun too :o)
1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5752 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 83
13 December 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
I really like Reksio! We couldn't go wrong adopting a little dog mascot.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4609 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 11 of 83
14 December 2011 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Hi. I'm interested in joining this project as I'm always looking for new ways to motivate me (not that I'm
unmotivated...). I've been studying intensely since april and I'm now at level A2 (according to my book, but my
teacher seems to think I'm B1, anyway). My goal for next year is

- to have completed my current book series (Hurra by Prolog) — I'm currently at book 2 (half) out of 3 books —
and thus be officially at level B1.
- to have completed two drill books my teacher bought me in Poland (they're for level B1-C1)
- I plan on (maybe) going to Poland next summer to Krakow for a month of intensive study. If I follow my
planning, I could be able to reach level B1 there and take the certification exam. But things have considerably
slowed down this fall (on account of augmenting difficulty and of overload in work which will continue in the
winter so...).
- to be able watch films without subtitles and understand half of it.
- and most of all to be able to communicate verbally with some ease.

I'm also studying mandarin, but kind of dabbling really, so I don't have real goals for that right now (I just expect
to finish 3 Pimsleur levels during the year and start writing a little for fun).

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5752 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 83
14 December 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
I've updated the list again to include Homogenik. Welcome and good luck!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4956 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 13 of 83
14 December 2011 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

- Team "Żubr" ('European Bison') / Team "Żubry" ('Bisons') [European Bisons are now confined to a forest that straddles northeastern Poland and northwestern Belorussia]

I like this idea! I think these animals are very impressive-looking, plus the word żubr sounds neat.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5351 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 14 of 83
14 December 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Well, we're getting quite the nice team togther aren't we. Fantastic!! As for the name, Żubr sounds and looks
great, and due to their vulnerable species numbers and relationship with the Polish forest -Białowieża, sounds
perfect.

On a bit of a tangent, but Poland is also a refuge for the Wolf - Wilk in the east, the lynx - Ryś in dense
forest, and the Eagle Owl - Pochacz in old growth forest and rocky areas. And is also home to many other
endangered species due to a third of Poland being covered by forest.

meramarina wrote:
(I was looking for a way to say "annoying one's deceased ancestors by learning the language
they didn't want you to know" but perhaps that's not such a good idea!)

Also I love your motto Mermarina, hilarious!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6941 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 15 of 83
14 December 2011 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
To be honest I came upon "Żubr" after thinking about naming the team after something that's ubiquitous in Poland... like beer :-P (vodka is ubiquitous too but it's often stereotyped as THE Polish drink by outsiders). Team Lech, Żywiec, Okocim or Leżajsk would have been options too ;-).

I have a bit of a soft spot for "Reksio" although I won't complain if "Żubr" (or "Żubry") is chosen. Maybe it's just the kid in me that makes a cartoon character likeable.

Other names that came to mind on my way back from work include:

- Team "Syrenka" / "Syrenki" (Mermaid/Mermaids - not that there's anything wrong with them but maybe they'd be a bit "girly" as the team's name for the male members. ;-))
- Team "Smok" / "Smoki" (Dragon/Dragons - maybe a too aggressive or fantastic.)
- Team "Lajkonik" (Lajkonik - a fanciful character dressed a bit like a Turko-Mongol horseman "riding" a "horse")
- Team "Obwarzanek" / "Obwarzanki" (Obwarzanek - a kind of bagel that's traditionally associated with Kraków)
- Team "Piernik" / "Pierniki" (Piernik - a type of gingerbread that's traditionally associated with Toruń)
- Team "Neptun" (Neptune - the Fountain of Neptune in Gdańsk's Old Town has become a symbol of the city)
- Team "Solidarność" (Solidarity - perhaps it's a bit cheesy for a team's name but Solidarność was founded in the shipyards of Gdańsk as the first independent trade union in the Warsaw Pact. Perhaps ironically, it also contributed to the collapse of Europe's "workers' paradises")

As you can tell, these names are taken from cultural or historical items associated with various cities.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5351 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 16 of 83
14 December 2011 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Hmm, I'm still sold on Żubr, simply for the environmental factor and because it's linked to Poland's forests which is
such a characteristic feature of the country.
Actually I was thinking perhaps Team Białowieża wouldn't be a bad idea either, seeing as that forest is one of
the last and largest remaining pieces of primeval forest (which also spreads into Belarus) in Europe, and is a
sanctuary and immensely important environment for so many endangered and vulnerable species. So then our team
would almost be like team sanctuary, sanctuary of the Polish language.

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version