Diglot
Canada
Joined 4610 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 41 of 83
18 December 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I often use this dictionary, EPPE, because you can download it on your computer (and I don't have the net at home so
it's quite useful for me).
http://www.hipercom.pl/en/eppe.html
1 person has voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4912 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 42 of 83
24 December 2011 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji Świąt Bożego Narodzenia.
Życzę sukcesów w nauce języka polskiego.

Merry Christmas to all members of Polish team. I wish you never-ceasing motivation to
explore new linguistic territories. May all your plans succeed.

Gosia

I spent sometime today prepearing a typical Polish (originally Ukrainian) Christmas dish
called Uszka (I thought you might find it
interesting)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5891 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 43 of 83
24 December 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Dziękuję bardzo (uszka wygląda smaczna!)

Edited by Mooby on 24 December 2011 at 12:54am

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5753 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 83
24 December 2011 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
OOOOOO Uszka looks good! We had plenty of pierogi way back when my Polish grandmum made us meals, but she was also a terrible cook, so I'm sure that I never had a proper introduction to authentic ethnic recipes. I'll have to try a few as part of my Polish learning.

I'll update our introductory post soon with a list of participants and our team title. If anyone objects to being a European bison, speak now! They are truly impressive animals.

I am an absolute beginner with this language - haven't started yet! - so I'm glad to have teammates and a few native Polish speakers here to help along the way!

I'm very interested to find out about any family members still in Poland. I know the whole family didn't emigrate and I'm sure I have some distant, living relatives there. I hope to visit the country one day, too. My Polish grandparents never had much to say about their European roots, but I'm convinced that if the family did not spontaneously generate somewhere in Poland about a hundred years ago, there's some geneological evidence out there. So this is a personal investigaton, too: I must find my people!

I'm also looking for the Hurra books, but I can't find them online for less than $50.00, which would normally not be a problem, but this is the Christmas of Dire Necessity and I won't be able to afford to purchase many learning materials, at least not at first. If my full-time employment dreams soon come true, and there a chance of that, at least, I'm going on a language material binge as soon as I can! Until then, we have excellent references here in this thread and in Chung's Polish language summary.

After I can gather some learning sources together I'll start my own TAC Polish log,and my fellow bison can do the same. I'm not going to be able to begin it before the New Year starts.

I think we have a great team here and I'm honored to work with all of you! More members are always welcome, too. Because,who would NOT want to be an shaggy articulate bison?

And advanced level learners, native Polish speakers and/or residents of Poland, you too are welcome. I hope that you continue to visit us - we need you!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5352 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 45 of 83
25 December 2011 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Dziękuję bardzo Gosiak! I zgadzam się z Mooby, uszka wgląda przepyszna! (co jest czasnowik dla 'to sound'?) I
actually just got back from our local Polish deli and the two ladies there were speaking Polish and laughing about,
so lovely! Got some really nice Polish sausages and cakes for christmas, yuumm..

Meramarina! I too am on a bit of a journey to find out more about my family's Polish heritage and connect with that
part of our history, and will hopefully be visiting some family who are still living over there sometime in the next
year or 2. So will definitely need to get my Polish up to scratch! Also if you don't mind working on your languages
from a computer, I've got some decent Polish grammar/vocab/other things pdf's which I could send your way. That
goes for anyone else on the team also.

May you all have a great Christmas and New Years, and go Team Żubr in the new year! Bożego Narodzenia!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 46 of 83
25 December 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
Dziękuję bardzo Gosiak! I zgadzam się z Mooby, uszka wgląda przepyszna! (co jest czasnowik dla 'to sound'?) I
actually just got back from our local Polish deli and the two ladies there were speaking Polish and laughing about,
so lovely! Got some really nice Polish sausages and cakes for christmas, yuumm..

Meramarina! I too am on a bit of a journey to find out more about my family's Polish heritage and connect with that
part of our history, and will hopefully be visiting some family who are still living over there sometime in the next
year or 2. So will definitely need to get my Polish up to scratch! Also if you don't mind working on your languages
from a computer, I've got some decent Polish grammar/vocab/other things pdf's which I could send your way. That
goes for anyone else on the team also.

May you all have a great Christmas and New Years, and go Team Żubr in the new year! Bożego Narodzenia!

wyglądać (na) (perf. wyjrzeć) = "to appear [insert adverb/adjective]"
brzmieć = "to sound"

When asking for a translation, one commonly begins with "Jak się mówi po polsku...?" (e.g. Jak się mówi po polsku "to sound"?).

I would more likely use (te) uszka wyglądają przepysznie ((those) uszka look delicious) rather than ((te) uszka brzmią przepysznie. ((those) uszka sound delicious) although I could imagine the latter being used if I were referring to uszka mentioned just previously (e.g. "Come over to our place for lunch. We'll have some uszka!" - "Hmmm, (those) uszka sound delicious.")

Wesołych Šwiąt Bożego Narodzenia! (Often shortened to Wesołych Šwiąt!; I've never heard anyone use Bożego Narodzenia! probably because the first retains explicitly the kind wish (it literally means "[I wish] of Happy Holidays!") whereas the latter on its own means "[I wish] of God's Birth!").

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5352 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 47 of 83
25 December 2011 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Dobra dobra, dziękuję Chung. I guess I missed the first part of what my dziadek (opa) said, or perhaps it's simply a
much older shortened version way of saying Merry Christmas. In either case, Wesołych Świąt Bożego
Narodzenia
to everyone!

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4610 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 48 of 83
25 December 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Regarding the Hurra books : I don't want to make any promotion for websites or anything, but this is where I
decided to buy the series. For the level one books, for instance, it costs around 110 zlotys, which is 30 US dollars
(plus shipping of course). The books needed for each level are Podrecznik studenta and Zeszyt studenta.
Podrecznik nauczyciela is for the teacher so you don't really need it.
keywords=hurra&x=0&y=0">www.poltax.waw.pl

As for my Christmas, since my mom is polish I ate a lot of polish food yesterday, notably some uszki in barszcz
czerwony and pierogis (which I made with her), some fish roulade
rolada z ryby

doré fish (don't know its polish or English name), some czwikła (horseradish and beets) and some
delicious sernik with poppy seeds
(sernik z makiem)

Edited by Homogenik on 25 December 2011 at 4:33pm

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version