Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 9 of 18
16 December 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
A lot of people think that you should first learn to listen.
but I think listening should come after reading.
because reading is generally easier in my opiion.
I would be scared of trying to listen to Thai first (even though we have Thai TV).
I find it useful to have textbook with THai script and Roman spelling at the same time.
This way you can get used to the script easily.

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 10 of 18
18 December 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I recommend starting with romanization, but at the same time learning Thai script on the side, and weening yourself off of romanization as soon as practical. That's because unlike many
other scripts (Japanese kana and Russian Cyrillic for example), Thai is extremely complicated and time consuming to learn. It would drive me up the wall to be crippled by poor mastery of a
script for a long period of time. I liken learning Thai without romanization to learning Mandarin without pinyin. Possible, but not very efficient. And although I hear a lot of people suggest
not using romanization, I haven't met a single westerner who has become fluent like that. I have met several who are fluent, and many more on line, who have used romanization. Couple
that with the fact that almost all Thai language schools use romanization in the beginning, and I think you have a pretty strong argument for romanization.

Luckily, there is an excellent set of books/cds that does exactly what I described.
Thai for Beginners
Intermediate, and Advanced. The romanization she uses is very good.

Starting with romanization and learning the Thai alphabet alongside it seems to be the best choice, so that is what I will do. Thank you to everyone who replied in this thread, all the responses gave me plenty to think about.

Edited by mick33 on 18 December 2011 at 10:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 18
19 December 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
(The following is meant for westerners learning Thai)
allen wrote:
It's basically just memorizing the letters and the tone rules. Maybe 100 or so things to memorize.

… In my experience memorizing the letters and understanding the rules takes just a couple weeks

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but let's not trivialize learning to read Thai. If you want, you can think about
it as needing to learn the following (I'm not suggesting this is the order to learn):
1) Consonants, vowels, numbers, grammatical symbols, tone marks, etc. You can memorize these in a few hours.
2) Tone and pronunciation rules. You can memorize these in a few hours.
3) Vocabulary. This will take many months, more likely years, to learn.
4) Reading practice. This will also take many months, more likely years.

Obviously, you won't understand what you're reading without 3). But something that's more true for Thai than
most other languages is that it's necessary to know 3) for a text to even be able to pronounce it correctly. This is
because you need to know where the words break. So even if you know 1) and 2) really well, and you have done
lots of 4), if you read something out loud, you make tons of mistakes unless you know 3).

If you know 1), 2) & 3) for Mandarin, you will be pretty well understood if you read something out loud. Word
breaks don't affect pronunciation much, and most characters only have one reading. For Japanese, you will make
tons of mistakes, since there are multiple readings per kanji.

So you have to know your vocabulary before being able to correctly pronounce written Thai or Japanese, and
learning vocabulary is very time consuming.

allen wrote:
It's nothing like Chinese where you have to memorize thousands of characters.

Regarding number of characters, I completely agree with you. But my point was that not using romanization for
learning Thai is inefficient, in the same way as not using pinyin (or some other phonetic script) for learning
Mandarin.

If you use Cyrillic from the beginning when learning Russian, you will probably struggle for a few weeks, then be
in the clear. But with Thai, this struggle will likely last months. Until you get comfortable with the script, you
won’t feel secure about the pronunciation of new words. You can get around this by using audio for every word,
but I find that audio is much more effective if I have something written down that I understand. More than likely,
you will fossilize pronunciation mistakes, which is supposed to be one of the main reasons for avoiding
Romanization in the first place. If you use a well designed Romanized script along with the Thai, you will be able
to learn the language at a normal speed until you are ready to dump the Romanization.

There is one very well advertised language school in Thailand that doesn’t use Romanization. But they don’t even
teach conversation, and they have never had a student pass the Thai proficiency test, which is used to enter Thai
universities, apply for certain jobs. The school is basically a visa-mill, so don’t be seduced by their propaganda.

clumsy wrote:
A lot of people think that you should first learn to listen. but I think listening should come after
reading.because reading is generally easier in my opiion. I would be scared of trying to listen to Thai first (even
though we have Thai TV).I find it useful to have textbook with THai script and Roman spelling at the same time.
This way you can get used to the script easily.

Language learners like to use certain tricks. One of them is to become proficient in one of the 4 basic skills
(reading/writing/speaking/listening) and use it to bootstrap them to learn the rest of the language. Imo, the right
skill to do this with depends not only on the learner, but the language. I believe Thai lends itself to speaking
more than reading or listening for the average western learner. However, if a person is dead set on using reading
to do this, then they should learn good pronunciation early on to avoid fossilization. This is the same advice I
would give for learners of other tonal languages.

So I advise getting good pronunciation early on. And I advise using conversation if you must bootstrap. But I want
to make it clear that I don't think someone should go overboard with bootstrapping. Making conversation a
priority is ok, but don't completely neglect other aspects of the language. It's hard to develop good pronunciation
without lots of listening practice, and some reading, so be sure to have some balance.
There is another well advertised language school in Thailand that uses hundreds of hours of listening to
bootstrap it’s students into learning the language. I have been very unimpressed with the results of this method.
I have read about them online, and heard testimonials from several students. Don’t be seduced by their
propaganda either.

4 persons have voted this message useful

allen
United States
Joined 4894 days ago

23 posts - 73 votes 
Studies: Korean, Thai

Message 12 of 18
20 December 2011 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Quote:

3) Vocabulary. This will take many months, more likely years, to learn.
Obviously, you won't understand what you're reading without 3). But something that's
more true for Thai than
most other languages is that it's necessary to know 3) for a text to even be able to
pronounce it correctly. This is
because you need to know where the words break. So even if you know 1) and 2) really
well, and you have done
lots of 4), if you read something out loud, you make tons of mistakes unless you know
3).

You make it sound like you can't read a sentence in Thai unless you know ever word in
that sentence. But that's not true. There are ambiguous cases sometimes but if you
understand how the alphabet and tone markers work, often it's clear where words end and
begin. But I agree it takes getting used to. For me I never felt like it was a big
problem though because I would look up words that I didn't know as I came across them
and then it wasn't that hard to find where the breaks were. But I realize though that
many people don't like to read that way.

Quote:

Until you get comfortable with the script, you won’t feel secure about the
pronunciation of new words. You can get around this by using audio for every word,
but I find that audio is much more effective if I have something written down that I
understand. More than likely, you will fossilize pronunciation mistakes, which is
supposed to be one of the main reasons for avoiding Romanization in the first place.

That's not how it works. Thai is still phonetic. The fact that there are no breaks in
between words is not a problem of pronunciation, it's a problem of distinguishing
words. You'll never pronounce words incorrectly if you understand the alphabet and tone
rules(except for some very rare irregular pronunciations), even in the case that you
divided them incorrectly into words that don't exist. If you really think that the tone
rules and alphabet can be learned in hours, then there's no danger of fossilizing
incorrect pronunciation.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 18
20 December 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
allen wrote:
You make it sound like you can't read a sentence in Thai unless you know ever word in
that sentence. But that's not true.

Unless you're reading material designed for a learner or a child, you will make at least one pronunciation mistake in almost every sentence if
you don't know the vocabulary.
leosmith wrote:
Until you get comfortable with the script, you won’t feel secure about the
pronunciation of new words.

allen wrote:
That's not how it works. Thai is still phonetic.

ผลไม้
เศรษฐกิจ
Even at the word level, Thai is not phonetic. It's a lot more common than you apparently realize.

But that was not my point. To someone just getting on top of the rules, coming up with the correct pronunciation at the word level is quite
difficult. There are going to be big question marks in the heads of students on an unacceptably large percentage of words for the first few
months, if they don't use romanization.

Edited by leosmith on 20 December 2011 at 2:58pm

Jarvis1000
Diglot
Groupie
United States
want2speakthai.com
Joined 4698 days ago

74 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 18
21 December 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
allen wrote:
You make it sound like you can't read a sentence in Thai unless you know ever word in that sentence. But that's not true. There are ambiguous cases sometimes but if you understand how the alphabet and tone markers work, often it's clear where words end and begin.

But I agree it takes getting used to. For me I never felt like it was a big
problem though because I would look up words that I didn't know as I came across them
and then it wasn't that hard to find where the breaks were. But I realize though that
many people don't like to read that way.

You'll never pronounce words incorrectly if you understand the alphabet and tone
rules(except for some very rare irregular pronunciations), even in the case that you
divided them incorrectly into words that don't exist. If you really think that the tone rules and alphabet can be learned in hours, then there's no danger of fossilizing
incorrect pronunciation.

You have to know enough words and be comfortable enough with the language to "see" the word with out breaks. If you don't know any or very few words in a sentence, then you will be spending most of your time in dictionaries trying to figure out what the words are. Even then there is enough exceptions, on first glance one would think they knew how to pronounce พลพล and continue on not realizing, because it looks intuitive. The funny thing about exceptions, in any language,is that they may only apply to a minority of words, but in my experience, they seem to apply to many of the most commonly used words.

Look what most are saying is that you waste lots of valuable time at the beginning of your language learning journey if you ONLY learn Thai script. If you learn romanization along side Thai script you can spend much more time learning to speak Thai, which will make your ability to read Thai much more easier. Yes we can agree to disagree as well.

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 15 of 18
21 December 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
allen wrote:
I would highly recommend just learning the alphabet from the start. It's
very useful and
not that hard to learn. As was stated before, there's no standardize Romanization, so
you'd have learn a new system with each new resource. Also Thai has a lot of sounds that
aren't neatly represented by Roman characters, so I find that it's easy to be misled by
reading a transliteration unless you're very careful.

Where would you recommend learning the alphabet? I tried a few times but found a real
lack of good resources online to learn it. Any suggestions?

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4476 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 16 of 18
15 February 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
David Smyth's "Teach Yourself Thai" teaches the writing in a manageable way - the consonants are introduced in groups (mid, high and low). These in combination with tone marks determine the tone of each word. It's really not too difficult. Concerning pronunciation, if you have done some Mandarin and have got those tones down, Thai tones aren't difficult to pronounce either, in my view.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version