9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Lauria
Germany
Joined 4514 days ago

4 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 9
15 December 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,

I am working on a thesis concerning spanglish(= mixing Spanish and English language in a sentence or in a word, e.g.: "Sometimes I'll start a sentence in English y terminó en espanol" or "parkeando"). I would be very thankful if you could answer my 3 questions:

1)Do you know spanglish/espanglish and where it can be found?e.g. newspaper,
movie,series,magazines,novels?
2)What do you think about mixing or switching between English and Spanish languages?
3)Are you bilingual (you use two länguages in your daily life) or monolingual (you use
only one language during the day)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

1 person has voted this message useful

Carlucio
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4643 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 9
15 December 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, por supuesto! pero not much.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6224 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 9
15 December 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
1) I've got a book written in a mixture of Spanish and English sitting around here somewhere... it's by a bilingual author, and frequently switches language mid-sentence. Beyond that, I don't know; there's not that much Spanish in Switzerland.

2) It's like asking what I think about using English (or any other language). It can be useful; it can be done eloquently or horribly; it can be a good or poor choice for the current situation and context.

3) Multilingual, but the languages I actively speak do not include Spanish (I read Spanish, but don't speak it).

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4766 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 4 of 9
17 December 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
1) Spanglish can be found in really bad movies, in a new TV series in America that I've forgotten the name of and in
my everyday life.
2) My fiancée says Spanglish is the language of the future (She's a Spanish native speaker with perfect English) and
I myself really enjoy switching between the two languages i.e. I quite often answer sí to an English question etc.
3) Bilingual, with grumos =)

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4766 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 9
17 December 2011 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
A few more examples:

How do you call it? (Should be como se dice)

We often speak one in English, one in Spanish and then do some mixing of words which sound better in the other
language. i.e. I'll often say juntos, or grumos, or palanca instead of their English equivalents. Words such as vale,
no lo creo, no me digas, no me jodas, also arrive easily into English conversation.

And the best thing? It makes perfect sense.

Lauria
Germany
Joined 4514 days ago

4 posts - 3 votes

Message 6 of 9
19 December 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Lauria wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am working on a thesis concerning Spanglish in the USA(= mixing Spanish and English language in a sentence or in a word, e.g.: "Sometimes I'll start a sentence in English y terminó en espanol" or "parkeando"). I would be very thankful if you could answer my 3 questions:

1)Do you know spanglish/espanglish and where it can be found?e.g. newspaper,
movie,series,magazines,novels?
2)What do you think about mixing or switching between English and Spanish languages?
3)Are you bilingual (you use two länguages in your daily life) or monolingual (you use
only one language during the day)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lauria
Germany
Joined 4514 days ago

4 posts - 3 votes

Message 7 of 9
19 December 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Is there anyone switching those languages who comes from the USA? because I am more focusing on the USA and I forgot to tell.
So if you have any idea where to find such spanglish exactly, I would be very happy.;)

@triglot:the question is NOT how you call but if you KNOW it and where you can find it.

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4734 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 8 of 9
23 December 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
1) I've got a book written in a mixture of Spanish and English sitting around here somewhere... it's by a bilingual author, and frequently switches language mid-sentence. Beyond that, I don't know; there's not that much Spanish in Switzerland.

2) It's like asking what I think about using English (or any other language). It can be useful; it can be done eloquently or horribly; it can be a good or poor choice for the current situation and context.

3) Multilingual, but the languages I actively speak do not include Spanish (I read Spanish, but don't speak it).

Whoever wrote that book and whoever allowed it to be published should be placed in jail.

There is no eloquence to Spanglish, or Portunhol, or any such linguistic contraptions. They should be rejected.

This has nothing to do with accepting clearly affected speech used by specific groups, mainly teenagers. I am very accepting of such because it is a form of expression more than an attempt to impose anything. Unlike "Spanglish", there is an element of creativity... there is no creativity in switching languages just for the sake of it.

Whoever can undersand this will win respect from me:

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1664/flogglandia.png

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version