Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 1 of 33
16 December 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to my Team TAC 2012 log! Until New Year's, I'll still be posting over at my 2011 log. My team this year is The Romantics, and we're all studying (you guessed it) romance languages!

My primary language this year will be French. I'm currently at about an A1, probably an A2 for reading. I don't have a specific goal, because I don't know what I can realistically reach.

I'll also be doing some work on my Esperanto, which has sadly been pushed aside a bit in favour of French. I'd say I'm not even an A1 in Esperanto, simply because even though I have a decently big vocabulary, I've never actually had a conversation. I just know words. I'd like to reach conversational ability in this language.

Stay tuned for a post all about the methods I plan to use over the next year! I'd wish everyone good luck, but since the challenge doesn't start for 16 days, it would feel a bit anti-climactic...

My Teammates:
garyb (French, Italian, and perhaps Spanish)
mcsice (Spanish and perhaps French or Italian)
anamsc (Catalan, French and Spanish)
PacoBell (Spanish)
Ligador (Spanish and German)
pesahson (French)
Mani (French, Luxembourgish, Kurdish, and probably Russian and Portuguese later on)
Hendrek (Italian)
Songlines (French, Mandarin, and perhaps Italian)
kanewai (French, Catalan, and Italian)
microsnout (French)
PinkCordelia (French, Italian, and Spanish)
kyknos (Spanish and German)
Kerrie (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Bosnian/Croatian, and German)
BlackDahlia (French)
tw561 (Spanish and Italian)
Mepisevaerg (German, Mandarin, Spanish, and French)
Luso (Italian, German, and Arabic)
Quabazaa (French, Arabic, Maori, and Scots Gaelic)
dearwanderlust (Spanish and French)

Edited by Lianne on 25 January 2012 at 5:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5487 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 2 of 33
16 December 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I took a look at your log from last year. I have to admit it's the first time I heard about Toki Pona. It seems fascinating! Are you finished with it now? It seems like you have a thing for constructed languages.

Anyway, I'm glad we're on the team together. I got hooked on this idea of a year long challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 3 of 33
16 December 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Hello! No, I'm not finished with toki pona, I just haven't worked on it lately. It's a tough one to get your head around! I LOVE constructed languages. If it was an option, you'd see Klingon in my profile as well. I hope to have some free time to devote to that sometime soon.

I'm glad to have a teammate who's studying French, too. :)

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 4 of 33
22 December 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Happy Solstice everyone! (Winter Solstice for me, but happy Summer Solstice if you're in the Southern hemisphere!)

Only 10 days to go til TAC 2012!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 5 of 33
01 January 2012 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Tomorrow morning begins the challenge! Before it starts, I wanted to be able to lay out my plans, but I don't really have one. So, I'll just list the materials I will at least try, and maybe complete, over the course of the year.

French:
Pimsleur: I finished French 1 earlier in the year, and started French 2. I'd like to go back to that and do however much more of it I feel like doing.
FSI: I've never used it, but it looks like I'll like it. I might do the phonology course and the French Basic course.
Michel Thomas: I'm almost done Speak French for Beginners. I'm going to continue with the Advanced, Language Booster, and Vocabulary Builder courses.
Assimil: I started it in 2011 but didn't get very far. I might try again.
French classes: I'm taking French level 2 through my local school division starting in a few weeks. If that goes well I'll take level 3 in the summer or fall.
L-R: I want to continue my L-R work on the Harry Potter books.

Esperanto:
lernu.net: I may go crawling back to my online tutor with my tail between my legs.
dictionary: My Esperanto dictionary is enough to keep me occupied just learning vocabulary.

To elaborate a little bit on my goals, French is what it's all about. I desperately want to reach fluency in French. I've never managed to reach fluency in anything, so I can't let myself get distracted. Esperanto is just for fun, and I can't let it take away from my French studying time, as much as I enjoy it. So my goal for this year is to reach as high a level as possible in French.

Wish me luck, and happy New Year!

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5069 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 6 of 33
01 January 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Salut! Bonne chance pour cette année. Il paraît que, encore une fois, vous avez des buts très réalistes. Que pensez-vous de Harry Potter en français? Est-il difficile pour vous de comprendre? Comme j'ai déjà dit, je pourrais vous aider un peu, si vous voulez, bien que le français ne soit pas ma langue maternelle. Mais, peut-être il vaudrait mieux d'avoir un corres qui est vrai francophone. C'est à vous.

Notes: My French isn't perfect, sorry for any mistakes! Especially that usage of 'de souche', really not sure it works. Yes, I used vous, as I'm never sure about when to tutoyer.

Saluton. Mi ankorau neniam skribis en esperanton. Mi ne shatas la "x-method". Mi bezonas praktighi ghin (mia esperanton). Erm... Ghis!

Edit: Vi volas ke mi parolos en francan au en esperanton (au en ambrau)?

Edited by LittleBoy on 01 January 2012 at 1:50pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 7 of 33
01 January 2012 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Way to challenge me already. :) I don't really feel comfortable responding even in Esperanto right now, let alone French (hopefully Benny doesn't see this :P ), so I'll just respond in English. At least I understood almost everything before recruiting Google Translate to help me out with the French!

I find Harry Potter surprising easy to follow in French. I'm finding that I have a much higher passive vocabulary than active vocabulary. It also helps that I know the story like the back of my hand.

As for Esperanto, I don't mind the x-method, but I prefer to use the actual characters. I set up the Esperanto keyboard as an option on my laptop and was getting the hang of it, though it's unfortunately been months since I've used it at all. I'm hoping to squeeze in some review soon, at least, so I can get comfortable with what I already knew before.

You can write to me in English, French, or Esperanto (even toki pona if the desire strikes you!). It'll be good reading practice for me, and gradually I'll start responding in kind as I gain confidence in those languages. Dankon!

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5069 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 8 of 33
02 January 2012 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Sorry! :p Sounds like you managed though. Which is really good! I wasn't really comfortable - I needed a dictionary for a few words and it was very basic. But I won't get anywhere without practise.

That's really good, especially as you haven't been studying for long. I'd got (rusty) GCSE Spanish, and knew the text in English and had read it in French, but still found it slightly hard going when I tried the first chapter or two in Spanish.

I do too, but I don't know codes for all of them (unlike French). I find the x-method fairly ugly. That sounds like a good idea - I've got a French keyboard on my phone, which took me worryingly long to realise I was using.

Mi pensas ke ghi estus malfacila skribi en Toki Pona. Well, like you would in other languages at least. No problem!

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version