Groupie
India
Joined 4589 days ago

41 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi*, Urdu, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 14
18 December 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
This is the first time I'm systematically chalking out a plan and strategy for a year
of language learning. Not to mention the first time I'm participating in the Total
Annihilation Challenge (Hurrah for Team Žá!). I'm really excited to be sharing my
experiences with this community

German
There are a few people in my family that speak German. Hearing them yammering away in
their own 'secret code' language; think what ideas that could possibly give to a
language nerd like myself? Over time I've fallen in love with all things German. I find
it charming how each syllable sounds so meticulously articulated and powerful. I've
developed a fascination with the culture and history of Germany and nurse a strident
desire to travel the entire length of the country one day. Armed with my German (and
Schwäbisch, which I plan to play with after reaching fluency in Standard German)
skills, that is!
Current level: Somewhere above A1
Level aimed for by the end of 2012: B2
Courses Used: I'm currently almost done with my 'Teach Yourself German' and am
planning to start with Assimil's 'German with Ease' in a week or so. I'm also enjoying
randomly leafing through a couple of grammar guides; I enjoy grammar. ^_^

Russian
The Russian language has always been the object of my fascination. Its almost universal
reputation as impossibly difficult; and the way it sounds in music. People unthinkingly
accord the title to French, but I've always considered Russian the language of love.
Besides, Russia and Russians have a very positive image in India, especially among the
older generation. Back when I was studying Japanese, I was asked on at least three
different occasions "Japanese? Why don't you learn Russian?"
Current Level: Zero, nil, nada.
Level aimed for by the end of 2012: A2
Courses Used: The New Penguin Russian Course- a rather daring departure
from the usual TY/Assimil courses I tend to use; but the reviews this book had garnered
on Amazon had me pretty much sold. My experience has been very positive so far, I
learned Cyrillic (printed and cursive) in a couple of days and am currently learning
basic greetings and very basic grammar. The downside? NO AUDIO! This is where I'm
flustered and don't know what to do. Any suggestions on this front would be much
appreciated.

Spanish
Because no matter how many languages you learn, you're not quite done until you tackle
Spanish! My obsession with Latin American music is just an extra motivation. Plus, I
really enjoyed the experience I had with native Spanish speakers at Instituto
Cervantes de Nueva Delhi
(not just staff members; most of them were tourists or
expatriates who'd come to use the library); they're really cooperative and helpful with
anyone who shows an interest in their language.
Current Level: A1
Level aimed for by the end of 2012: B1
Courses Used: I'm done with the 'BBC Active: Talk Spanish' book and CD I
received as a gift. It's horribly rudimentary and clearly meant only for people who're
leaving for Spain in a couple of days and just need to know how to order 'un paquete
de bollos'
at the local 'panadería'. Luckily though, I've just started with
Assimil's 'Spanish with Ease'. I don't need to elucidate much on how awesome it is, of
course; as we say in Hindi, 'bas naam hi kaafi hai'- 'the name's quite enough!'
:P
Also, I recently bought a Spanish translation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of
Secrets, and a beginner's reader: 'Read and Think Spanish'- it contains several essays
on Spanish-speaking cultures completely in Spanish, with all the major headwords
meticulously listed along with the definitions in neat margins. Quite excited! :-)

I start university somewhere around mid-June, so I hope to achieve most of my targets
before then. I'll be updating this log every time I feel like I hit a minor milestone.
Plus, I'm going to enjoy reading through similar logs. You guys are such an
inspiration!

I'm sorry this is so long, I promise to be much more succinct next time onward.
Cпасибо, Vielen Dank, ¡gracias!

Edited by AlephBey on 18 December 2011 at 11:33am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 14
18 December 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Hi, AlephBey. Welcome to TAC 2012!

I love to hear other people say they love grammar. It makes me feel a little less alone in the world!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 14
18 December 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Aw but here you're not alone at all!
I myself love grammar... though the Romance one is a bit frustrating so I prefer to learn it naturally, but it's not the "argh i hate grammar" type of natural but more like "i don't want to hate grammar so i'm not learning it the usual way" :))))))

Just a Dreamer
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 4812 days ago

59 posts - 62 votes 
Studies: English, French

Message 4 of 14
22 December 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
AlephBey wrote:

Courses Used: The New Penguin Russian Course- The downside? NO AUDIO! This is where I'm
flustered and don't know what to do. Any suggestions on this front would be much
appreciated.

Hi!
Do you know about Hugo Russian In Three Months?
It's very similar to New Penguin Russian Course, but with additional audio :)
I wish you the best of luck at your studies.

Edited by Just a Dreamer on 22 December 2011 at 2:34pm

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4777 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 5 of 14
23 December 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
When I'm in a pinch, I use Google Translate for audio. I've used it for Russian on many an occasion, and while the
voice is odd and mechanical, the pronunciation it gives you is decent.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4857 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 6 of 14
23 December 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I can record all the dialogues and texts for Penguin Russian Course. If someone is
interested, please tell me.

Edited by Марк on 23 December 2011 at 4:07pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5723 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 7 of 14
23 December 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Hey there, fellow TAC Russian person! I see you're going with a different group than I
am, but that's all good. :D I wish you the best of luck on your Russian studies, and
maybe I'll be able to help you with my meager knowledge of Russian (not that it'll be
necessary with all the Russian speakers on this forum!)

I see that you're doing Spanish, and Latin American Spanish at that! I will be glad to
help you if you should require any help.

And finally, I see you speak Hindi... I was once studying Hindi, but the lack of native
language materials was really discouraging. Do you think perhaps, if I restart my study
of Hindi, that we could perhaps communicate in Hindi? o:

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4857 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 8 of 14
30 December 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Dialogues of the fourth lesson
http://narod.
ru/disk/36045788001/4%20%D1%83%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BA.wma.html