mcsice
United States
Joined 4563 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
19 December 2011 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I studied Spanish for 5 years back in high school and college which was nearly 20 years ago. Although I could read and write fairly well, my speaking and listening comprehension was poor. I never kept up with it and have forgotten most of what I had learned.

About 3 months ago I started actively studying Spanish again, motivated by love. My boyfriend is from Mexico. His English is at a solid B1 level. We manage to communicate fairly well most of the time. However, our language barrier often results in some hilarious conversations. We have been studying together on a regular basis so that he can improve his English and I my Spanish.

My goal is to go from an A1 to B1 by the end of 2012. My plan of attack includes:
  • FSI Spanish Basic and Programmatic
  • Learning Spanish Like Crazy audio course
  • Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verbs, Spanish Pronouns and Complete Spanish Grammar workbooks
  • Verbarrator - for verb conjugation
  • Spanish Audio Flashcards - Android app
  • Anki flashcards
  • Learning With Texts
  • Music - Most of the music I listen to now is in Spanish, learning the words to my favorite songs and translating them
  • LoMas Tv - Spanish Immersion TV online
  • And of course speaking with my boyfriend as much as my vocabulary permits

I recently participated in November's 6 Week Challenge and averaged around 1-2 hours per day of concentrated study. It was great motivation for me and I definitely think that participating in the TAC will help me to keep the momentum going. I look forward to this challenge with the rest of my teammates
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 2 of 5
28 December 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Hello, mcsice. Welcome to TAC 2012. I'm part of the Romantics team, too, and I'm looking forward to watching your progress over the next year!

I work with a lot of non-native English speakers, and sometimes the language barriers cause lots of laughs!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mepisevaerg
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
02 January 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Hi mcsice. I'm also on the Romantics team and hope that we both make significant progress this year.

mcsice
United States
Joined 4563 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes

Message 4 of 5
10 January 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
HI Kerrie and Mepisevaerg, I look forward to working with you this year and hope we all make great progress.

After some much needed time off of work to spend with family, I am back in full swing and ready to hit the books and audio courses. For Christmas I received The New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish which has received high ratings on Amazon. It was recommended more for intermediate and advanced learners, but I think it will definitely be useful for me even at the beginner level.

I also discovered recently that I can watch full tv episodes on univision.com. I started watching La Fuerza Del Destino only to find out that it came to an end. So I am now undecided as to which telenovela I want to get "hooked" on. I have really only just begun to explore the site, but it seems to have a lot of resources including access to many radio stations nationwide.

For the Learning Spanish Like Crazy course, I am finishing up lesson 14 which covers reflexive verbs. In the FSI Basic course, I am still on Unit 4. I haven't has as much time to work on that, but I know that the FSI course is where I really need to focus my energies.

dearwanderlust
United States
youtube.com/dearwandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 5 of 5
25 January 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Hello fellow Romantics team member! I wish you the best on all of your studies and thank you so much for the univision.com information. I've been looking for Spanish TV online and that will definitely help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version