Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
classicwho101
United Kingdom
Joined 4520 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 10
19 December 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I am a native English speaker and i want to become a translator, but i don't know what two languages to learn. I am doing a french GCSE but i don't like learning the language so do not want to continue whith it. I live in the UK, so Spanish wouldn't be very useful. I heard that the for the best jobs i should learn one major language and a less learnt language, is this true?
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 10
19 December 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
classicwho101 wrote:
I am a native English speaker and i want to become a translator, but i don't know what two languages to learn. I am doing a french GCSE but i don't like learning the language so do not want to continue whith it. I live in the UK, so Spanish wouldn't be very useful. I heard that the for the best jobs i should learn one major language and a less learnt language, is this true?

Off the cuff question:

Why do you want to become a translator?

R.
==

classicwho101
United Kingdom
Joined 4520 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 3 of 10
20 December 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
classicwho101 wrote:

Off the cuff question:

Why do you want to become a translator?

R.
==

I am really intested in languages and enjoy communicating with people of other culture's, so i decided this was the best job for me.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese

Message 4 of 10
20 December 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
classicwho101 wrote:

I am really intested in languages and enjoy communicating with people of other culture's, so i decided this was the best job for me.

I asked the question because I don't think I've ever met a translator (or interpreter, for that matter) that decided to go into the profession without knowing which would be their working languages - at least their first language pair.

It takes quite a while to learn a language to a level that would be useful for a translator professionally, not to mention learning the culture behind the languages. And it usually involves living a significant period where your working languages are spoken.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 5 of 10
20 December 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
classicwho101 wrote:

I asked the question because I don't think I've ever met a translator (or interpreter, for that matter) that decided to go into the profession without knowing which would be their working languages - at least their first language pair.

It takes quite a while to learn a language to a level that would be useful for a translator professionally, not to mention learning the culture behind the languages. And it usually involves living a significant period where your working languages are spoken.

R.
==

I fully agree with hrhenry.

classicwho101, you can find out what a career in translation entails on the following website: proz.com
Take a look at the forums. There's a section for students, as well as on "getting established" as a professional translator.

Edited by espejismo on 20 December 2011 at 9:47pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 6 of 10
20 December 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
I might also add that the actual translation profession is often a lonely one. Other than initial contact with clients and handling the details of the translation, the editing, etc., you really won't be communicating with many people of other cultures, at least not in real time.

R.
==

translator2
United States
Joined 6714 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 10
20 December 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Not to mention hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and did I mention hours and hours and hours of hours of time spent alone in front of the computer screen translating documents and doing internet research about topics often so boring you can barely stay awake, pouring over and revising meticulous details best described as mind-numbingly tedious, often staying up for days on end without sleep just to survive for little money, relatively speaking.

Be prepared to spend two weeks or more working day and night translating a document, reading and revising, reading and revising, reading and revising, only to have the entire thing sent back to you days later full of the editor's corrections and suggestions where you must change or justify your translation of each one of hundreds of corrections.

Translation in real life is nothing like translating in school.

Edited by translator2 on 20 December 2011 at 10:25pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5259 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 8 of 10
20 December 2011 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Not to mention hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and did I mention
hours and hours and hours of hours of time spent alone in front of the computer screen translating
documents and doing internet research about topics often so boring you can barely stay awake, pouring over
and revising meticulous details best described as mind-numbingly tedious, often staying up for days on end
without sleep just to survive for little money, relatively speaking.

Be prepared to spend two weeks or more working day and night translating a document, reading and
revising, reading and revising, reading and revising, only to have the entire thing sent back to you days later
full of the editor's corrections and suggestions where you must change or justify your translation of each one
of hundreds of corrections.

Translation in real life is nothing like translating in school.

This description bears no relationship whatsoever to my life as a translator. I work a steady 9 to 5, Monday to
Friday, take on a new job every day or two, spend only a few hours, or at most a whole day, revising my
translations, rarely receive anything but praise from my clients, and earn an excellent wage.

The only thing I could possibly agree with is that you will, as a translator, spend long hours alone in front of a
computer screen.

You are still young enough to get started on your career path. I actually began studying the language I
translate from, Japanese, at the ripe old age of 23, and although I knew I wanted to be a translator from
about the same age as you, I had no idea what languages I would be using in my future career. I just knew I
loved learning languages.

My advice would be to continue with French to A Level, take another language GCSE at Sixth Form if
possible, or if not, start a new language from scratch at university. Look on YouTube for clips of any
languages you think might interest you, and buy a beginner's course in the language you choose.

Be skeptical about the often quoted myth that you must know obscure languages to be a successful
translator. Languages in demand right now, and for the foreseeable future, are German, Spanish, Arabic,
Chinese, Japanese, maybe French, maybe Korean, and maybe Russian.

Good luck!

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version