United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

25 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 5
20 December 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good Russian language assessment tool they've liked on the web? I'm trying to go back to studying Russian after a delay of 10 years. Back then my knowledge would have been strong intermediary I would say. Now... not so much.

There are some things that I remember well in Russian and some are completely gone. There is no rhyme or reason to what stuck so I don't always know where the holes are to go and backfill. Thus, if I start in the "middle" I'm challenged yet have problems because foundational pieces are missing. If I simply startover I'm bored out of my skull. I was hoping someone would have an assessment tool that would help find the holes so I could just fill those.

большое спасибо

1 person has voted this message useful

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4492 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 5
31 December 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Hello Peedie:
I recommend you the masterrussian.com page. It has a lot of grammar information, vocabulary, and also has a test section. You can answer a online test in order to evaluate your level of proficiency.
I started studying Russian about 13 years ago with Soviet era material. I recommend you to find updated material since political changes in the last 20 years have certainly left a stepfoot on the language (I mean, there is no use to learn "tovarishch" and I remember a lesson about the Soviet House of Representatives :) it is so anachronic).
In order to get the rythm you should find Russian songs in youtube and the lyrics in internet. The radio vaticana page is also useful because there are recordings of news in Russian and also a transcript of them in Russian, so you can read them at the same time you listen to them.
I think you should find new material in order to make a review from the language basics, so you review the grammar basics and at the same time you don't get bored and also you find a different approach to the grammar you have already studied (it is also possible that you find new explanations and tips so you understand grammar topics that were obscure ten years ago).
Good luck in the study of this beautiful language! Успехов вам!

Peedie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

25 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 5
03 January 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Thank you! These are great tips!

I'll check out Master Russian's assessment tool and I agree about the updated materials. As I've looked around I'm amazed by how much more there is out there, especially in easily accessible original source material. It sure beats the Soviet films we watched in class! If I'd had that then..

I think my problem is that I've forgotten most of the actual grammar, but bits of the correct usage and vocab have stuck in my brain. So I might remember how to say something, but not why. And don't get me started on my spelling.   

I'm excited to get started again though.

jedimindtrick
Diglot
Groupie
United States
8monthsinukrain
Joined 4999 days ago

90 posts - 119 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 5
14 October 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Hi Peedie! If you're still looking for a Russian assessment site, this online diagnostic assessment system may interest you. It looks like a US military project but you should be able to create an account and test yourself. I did the reading assessment and got a 4 pages of results and feedback at the end. It was pretty advanced and a struggle for me but you may find it worth a shot!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4836 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 5 of 5
18 October 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
drsarvo wrote:
Hello Peedie:
I recommend you the masterrussian.com page. It has a lot of grammar information,
vocabulary, and also has a test section. You can answer a online test in order to
evaluate your level of proficiency.
I started studying Russian about 13 years ago with Soviet era material. I recommend you
to find updated material since political changes in the last 20 years have certainly
left a stepfoot on the language (I mean, there is no use to learn "tovarishch" and I
remember a lesson about the Soviet House of Representatives :) it is so anachronic).
In order to get the rythm you should find Russian songs in youtube and the lyrics in
internet. The radio vaticana page is also useful because there are recordings of news
in Russian and also a transcript of them in Russian, so you can read them at the same
time you listen to them.
I think you should find new material in order to make a review from the language
basics, so you review the grammar basics and at the same time you don't get bored and
also you find a different approach to the grammar you have already studied (it is also
possible that you find new explanations and tips so you understand grammar topics that
were obscure ten years ago).
Good luck in the study of this beautiful language! Успехов вам!

Особенно именно в таком варианте "товарищч". В учебниках советского периода могут быть
какие-то устаревшие сведения, но это не страшно, если, в целом, они хорошие.
Язык за последние 20 лет принципиально не изменился.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version