rivere123
United States
Joined 4626 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 16
21 December 2011 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
This is a topic that interests me. A lot of world leaders, celebrities, etc. know multiple languages (in some cases quite a few). For example, President Obama knows English and Indonesian (I assume some other languages as well), and Kim Jong Il's son knows English, German, and maybe French on top of Korean.

Do you know of any world leaders or celebrities that speak multiple languages (besides English and their native tongue)? Which ones?

Edited by rivere123 on 21 December 2011 at 5:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5211 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 16
21 December 2011 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
I suppose it's worth distinguishing between genuine bilingualism and the ability to speak a little bit of a language at a limited level. Not to make any political statements, but Obama certainly isn't functionally proficient at Indonesian (let alone any other languages), and I doubt Kim Jung-un is fluent in German, since it probably wasn't hard to get by with just English at an English-language international school in Switzerland.

I don't know if he'd be considered famous, but British Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg is certainly a good example of a genuine polyglot.

Edited by nway on 21 December 2011 at 5:22am

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4755 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 3 of 16
21 December 2011 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
rivere123 wrote:
This is a topic that interests me. A lot of world leaders,
celebrities, etc. know multiple languages (in some cases quite a few). For example,
President Obama knows English and Indonesian (I assume some other languages as well),
and Kim Jong Il's son knows English, German, and maybe French on top of Korean.

Do you know of any world leaders or celebrities that speak multiple languages? Which
ones?

I've been trying to think of one that I read about a few weeks ago - she was a female
in a recent film and is apparently proficient in quite a few language, however I cannot
remember for the life of me who it was!

However its quite common to see world leaders/celebrities speaking foreign languages in
interviews and such, but it is usually just to promote their films.

However I think Sandra Bullock is fluent in German and Mila Kunis speaks Russian, but
according to Wikipedia, they were born into multilingual families.

rivere123
United States
Joined 4626 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: French

Message 4 of 16
21 December 2011 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
Sorry, what I meant was besides English. Forgot to put it, fixed.
Anyway, I wasn't sure of the fluency of either two in their respective languages.

Never knew Sandra Bullock and Mila Kunis spoke those languages.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 16
21 December 2011 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
I listened to Sandra do an acceptance speech for an acting award in German, and her accent is gorgeous.

As far as actors, Sarah Chalke and Leonardo DiCaprio are also supposed to be truly bilingual with English and German. Others: Michael Fassbinder (Or is it "Fassbender"?) Udo Kier, Max von Sydow

There are many Latin American superstars who are bilingual with English and Spanish. Gloria Estefan, Jennifer Lopez, Edward James Olmos, Antonio Banderas (Spaniard, but still...)

Many fashion models are also bilingual. I am thinking just now of Gisele who speaks Portuguese and English.

For English/French we have some lovely Quebecois entertainers Celine Dion and Karine Vanasse (I hope I spelled that right...)

TRENDY
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4958 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 16
21 December 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
" I've been trying to think of one that I read about a few weeks ago - she was a female
in a recent film and is apparently proficient in quite a few language, however I cannot
remember for the life of me who it was! "

Could it be Jodie Foster in a french film ?, she`s bilingual in that language.

Another actress i`d like to mention is Maria de Medeiros, she speaks six languages.

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4777 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 7 of 16
21 December 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
I've got another name to add:
Daniel Brühl, who speaks German, Spanish, Catalan, English and French =) (all fluently, and there are videos to
prove it).

Plus, kudos to the person who mentioned Nick Clegg, his language prowess can tell us a lot about Britain. First, it's
unusual for British politicians to speak other languages (Tony Blair spoke French but with his education it would
have been stranger if he didn't), and second, the mistrust that people place in his 'foreigness' which shows how
stupid/xenophobic my fellow Brits can be (Inseldenken!) :/

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6175 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 16
21 December 2011 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
There is a whole thread on polyglot actors here that might interest you.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version