Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC’13 Pax Team (ita+cat) / Assimil Exp.

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
261 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 32 33 Next >>
Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5664 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 81 of 261
07 August 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
German Monthly Report

1 - Activities done

As I've written before the second time that this site has been attacked, this month I've gone to a two week course in Goethe-Institute, in Germany, namely Munich. It was a great course and a great trip. I'll write about that during this month, in German (with an English version).

2 - Progress so far

The best month of this German learning year.

Edited by Flarioca on 07 August 2012 at 1:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5664 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 82 of 261
08 August 2012 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
München

Letzten Monat bin ich nach München gefahren, um einen Deutschkurs zu besuchen. Natürlich war ich dort nicht nur als Lerner sondern auch als Reisender.

München ist eine sehr schöne Stadt, und vielleicht würde ich dort leben, obwohl ich in wenigen Städten leben würde. Ich muss sagen, dass gefällt mir gar nicht viele Monate mit Schnee. Ich komme aus Rio de Janeiro, und obwohl ich nicht mehr so oft zum Strand gehe, lebe ich eher in sonnigem Platz. Möglicherweise war es besser, weil es Sommer war.

Gefällt mir die Mischung von Geschichte und Gegenwart, die wir in Europa oft sehen können, aber gefällt mir besonders, dass es in die Nähe von München so einen wunderbaren Bereich gibt.

Jenseits der Mussen, der Schlösser, der Kirchen und der Pinakotheken gibt es in München große Universitäten und Unternehmen, den Englisch Garten und den Olympiapark, Restaurant und Musik für allen Geschmäck, Bier und Wein, Brot und Käse, und Leberkäse.

Schließlich muss ich sagen, dass das Verkehrssystem von München außergewöhnlich ist, und man denkt, wie gut es sein könnte, wenn es auch hier, wo ich lebe, so ein Verkehrssystem gibt.

Last month I went to Munich to attend a German course. Of course I was there not only as a student but also as a traveler.

Munich is a very beautiful city, and maybe I would live there, although I would live in very few cities. It must be said that I don't like snow for successive months. I'm from Rio de Janeiro, and although I do not often go to the beach, I rather live in a sunny place. Maybe it was better because it was summer.

I like the mixture of past and present that we can see in many places from Europe, but I particularly like that near Munich there is a wonderful area, full of natural beauties.

Beyond the museums, castles, churches and art galleries, there are great universities and companies, the English Garden and the Olympic park, restaurants and music for all tastes, beer and wine, bread and cheese, and meatloaf.

Finally, I must say that the transport system in Munich is exceptional, and you think how wonderful it would be if also here where I live, the traffic system were so good.

Edited by Flarioca on 08 August 2012 at 3:25am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5664 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 83 of 261
08 August 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
München (corrected version, thanks to tensaipanic from lang-8)

Letzten Monat bin ich nach München gefahren, um einen Deutschkurs zu besuchen. Natürlich war ich dort nicht nur als Lerner sondern auch als Reisender.

München ist eine sehr schöne Stadt, und vielleicht würde ich dort leben wollen, obwohl ich nur in wenigen Städten leben möchte. Ich muss sagen, es gefällt mir nicht, dass über so viele Monate hinweg Schnee fällt. Ich komme aus Rio de Janeiro und obwohl ich nicht mehr so oft zum Strand gehe lebe ich an einem eher sonnigen Ort. Möglicherweise war es besser, weil es Sommer war.

Mir gefällt die Mischung von Geschichte und Gegenwart, die wir in Europa oft sehen können, aber mir gefällt besonders, dass es in der Nähe von München so eine wunderbare Gegend gibt.

Jenseits der Mussen, der Schlösser, der Kirchen und der Pinakotheken gibt es in München große Universitäten und Unternehmen, den Englischen Garten und den Olympiapark, Restaurants und Musik für alle Geschmäcker, Bier und Wein, Brot und Käse, und Leberkäse.

Schließlich muss ich sagen, dass das Verkehrssystem von München außergewöhnlich ist und ich denke, wie gut es wäre, wenn es auch hier wo ich lebe, so ein Verkehrssystem gäbe.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 84 of 261
08 August 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
If you don't mind my briefly interrupting, did you hear any Bavarian dialect spoken, or
were you conscious of specifically Bavarian accents around you?

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5664 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 85 of 261
09 August 2012 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
If you don't mind my briefly interrupting, did you hear any Bavarian dialect spoken, or
were you conscious of specifically Bavarian accents around you?

Thanks for your "interruption" :-)

Indeed, our teacher's mother language was Bavarian. We discussed it and she pointed out some features of her accent. The most prominent is the distinctive "r".

She didn't speak Bavarian during our course, but we listened to people speaking and even singing it. We have also discussed and listened other German languages/dialects like Schwäbisch, Frankisch etc.

None of us unterstood much of them, but it seems important to me to learn a bit about it. It must be said that during the "Perfectionnement Allemand" I'd already listened to some of this.

On the streets and during a trip to Neuschwanstein Schloss, from our bus driver, I've also listened to people speaking what seemed to me Bavarian and, of course, lots of people with Bavarian accent.

It must be said that lots of Turkish, Arabic and other languages can be heard on the streets of Munich. Not to speak about dozens of tourists from all over the world.

Edited by Flarioca on 09 August 2012 at 1:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5664 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 86 of 261
10 August 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
This article talks about changes in the way Austrians speak.

From my sample, small as it is though, "Grüß Gott" would be classified as the number one greeting in Munich and South Germany. It must also be said that I haven't had much contact with young people, which is the main focus of the mentioned text.

Edited by Flarioca on 10 August 2012 at 1:59pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5664 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 87 of 261
12 August 2012 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
To be honest, I must admit that Korean and Turkish are no more in my daily study routine. For some months now, but only now I'll admit that those languages are no longer in my near future plans. But, who knows?

Indeed, I'm very happy with my progress with German, my reading and listening levels are, at least, very close to C1 and in a few months, for a while, I'll no longer "study" it but only use it.

Now I'm planning a three months Assimil Catalan experiment and, in the same way that German finally has gone from partially learned to usable, something must be done to improve my productive skills in Italian. Those two, Catalan and Italian, will be done simultaneously.

I've already plans for language learning after this German/Italian/Catalan series ... but let's wait the right moment to talk about it ;-))

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5664 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 88 of 261
17 August 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
After reading on Wikipedia that "Der Gründer der Internet-Plattform WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, soll politisches Asyl in Ecuador erhalten.", I've decided to see how many words are derived from the root "halt" in the book "A German Word Family Dictionary", by H. H. Keller, and finally realized that so many words that seem important to me are in this group.

To complete this study, it was essential to look for the Indoeuropean root for "halt". Both main possibilities are interesting. One is kʷel-, meaning "to turn", which is the root for the Latin words colonus (farmer), inquilinus (tenant) among others, all with very close portuguese equivalents. The other possibility is kel-, meaning "to drive, force to move quickly", the root for the Latin word celer (fast) among others.

Of course, "halt" and "hold" come from the same Germanic root derived from one of those two possibilities (or maybe other), but I don't believe that "hold" is as relevant in English as "halt" seems to be in German.

Yes, I also believe that the subject in the above mentioned news is important, but it doesn't mean that we must miss the oportunity to learn something about languages.

Edited by Flarioca on 17 August 2012 at 5:02am

This discussion contains 261 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version