Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC’13 Pax Team (ita+cat) / Assimil Exp.

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
261 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 33
Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 257 of 261
13 February 2013 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
As said above, after the passive wave of Assimil, I've been reading the book "Sandàlies D'Escuma" and it should be added that I've been also listening to radio through the internet. Assimil works.

At the beginning of this course, say, during the first 10 lessons, I could barely undertsand it. Let me quote myself:

Flarioca wrote:
Assimil Experiment: El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Day 7 - Lesson 8 (Lliçó vuit)

Once more, even after listening twice and listening while reading Catalan, I couldn't understand all words, though I've got the general meaning of all phrases.

Indeed, only in Lesson 15 I could finally say that I've understood it already through listening.

Flarioca wrote:
Assimil Experiment: El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Day 14 - Lesson 15 (Lliçó quinze)

While listening, I missed five words in this lesson, which makes one word every other entry, one of them I didn't know also in Spanish (escollera). In spite of that, for the first time, I've got the meaning of the whole dialog through listening, before reading the Catalan text.

Which doesn't mean that later on it couldn't become harder again:

Flarioca wrote:
Assimil Experiment: El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Day 27 - Lesson 27

This has been a hard to understand lesson just by listening, but it became easier after reading the Catalan text and by the end of the lesson you even ask yourself, why was it so hard at the beginning? I've already seen that tomorrow's review lesson will be very easy, but let's not rush!

and again

Flarioca wrote:
Assimil Experiment: El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Day 38 - Lesson 37

Comprehension, of course, is not only linked to number of words or speech pace. This was a short lesson at the same pace of the last one, and I didn't understand about 20% of it until reading the Spanish text.

Anyway, it seems that I'm getting comfortable with some of the grammatical points that were more complex for me.

and again

Flarioca wrote:
Assimil Experiment: El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Day 55 - Lesson 51

The speech pace reaches again the maximum level so far, but it seems that some gramatical structure and new vocabulary have been the main reasons of my incomplete understanding until reading the Catalan text. The reduced form of pronouns are not only grammatically complex, but it also makes the listening comprehension more difficult.

The last quote is from 08 January 2013, but now, only a bit more than a month later, I can listen and understand radio stations, long interviews about different subjects, and even some jokes.

Of course, as many times repeated ad nauseam, Catalan is an easy language for speakers of Romance languages, even more so for those who speak some combinations of them. This must be even more true for pairs of even closer languages, which I'm not going to mention because some people feel like this reduces the value of their knowledge.

My improvement in German has been, so far, the hardest to achieve. But all languages that I've studied have helped me as much, introducing me to books, music, history and people that I couldn't understand as well if not through the knowledge of their languages.

Edited by Flarioca on 13 February 2013 at 2:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 258 of 261
16 February 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Experiment: El Catalán sin esfuerzo

From the previous word frequency list, I've chosen the "important words learned through Assimil list".

By that I mean words that, for various reasons, I couldn't easily connect to already known words, either grammatically relevant or contextwise often relevant. Sometimes, I couldn't easily recognize either its sound or the written form, but the other one was easy.

It means that less than 100 words appear often enough and couldn't be easily guessed. Of course, after the 10th time you listen or read them, you already know them. Now, there are many other not easily guessable words, which doesn't appear that often, maybe I'll do this list later.

en - 330
amb - 177
hi - 120
tot - 84
ho - 69
cap - 67
seva - 57
li - 56
fer - 52
ara - 51
aixo - 46
cal - 46
aquest - 44
anar - 41
aquesta - 39
fins - 39
encara - 38
aixi - 32
comen - 28
prou - 26
doncs - 25
massa - 25
aviat - 24
hom - 23
llur - 21
seves - 21
avui - 20
foren - 19
vol - 19
aci - 18
hem - 18
mentre - 16
lloc - 15
llurs - 15
nomes - 15
feia - 14
fet - 14
feu - 14
mateix - 14
res - 14
vaig - 14
llavors - 13
mai - 13
tenim - 13
anem - 12
col - 12
fan - 12
gaire - 12
hague - 12
mitjana - 12
puc - 12
quina - 12
tingue - 12
val - 12
anirem - 11
meva - 11
mica - 11
tinc - 11
vegada - 11
vull - 11
arreu - 10
qualsevol - 10

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 259 of 261
03 March 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm starting a new log, Next adventure: Mandarin.

It means that the languages that I've studied in this log, namely, German, Catalan and Italian won't be any more my priorities.

On the other hand, it's nice to be able to say that they don't need to have priority, because now I can use them!! Of course, there is lots of room for improvement, but the same could be said about English, or even Portuguese :-))

Edited by Flarioca on 07 March 2013 at 2:44pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 260 of 261
07 March 2013 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
So, this is still my log for German and I've been watching this series from WDR, "Quarks & Co". Very interesting and 'empfehlenswert':

Although there are still lots of programs to see, some of my favourites, so far, are:

Ungelösten Probleme der Physik
Bakterien
Exoplaneten

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 261 of 261
05 May 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm really annoyed about Mango for the HUGE amount of time it takes to be uninstalled. I'd NEVER buy it if I knew that. That said, be warned.

This discussion contains 261 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version