Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC’13 Pax Team (ita+cat) / Assimil Exp.

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
261 messages over 33 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 32 33 Next >>
Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5668 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 25 of 261
18 January 2012 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Thanks to Sprachprofi (see this thread) I'm enjoying a very nice TV series about astrophysics.

Since there are more than 100 episodes, each one about 14 minutes long, I'll need to come back to Effi Briest very soon. I'll try to alternate between book and TV series.

I've been also learning/reviewing a lot of grammar, mostly from the book "A Morpho-Syntactic Review of German" by F. Donahue.

My three German Anki decks have been studied every day, about 30 minutes overall, and the feeling of a regular evolution that it brings seems to be one of its most important features.
1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5668 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 26 of 261
18 January 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Seit vielen Jahren spreche ich nicht Deutsch. Nun denke ich, dass es sehr schön ein intensiv Kurs besuchen würde, die hauptsächlich auf der Sprache aber auch der Grammatik sich konzentriere.

Dennoch kenne ich viele deutsche Wörter, ist es nicht so leicht, diesen Wörtern zu erinnern, wenn ich sprechen oder schreiben will.

Außerdem möchte ich nicht ein einfaches Niveau nehmen. Es ist wahr, dass etwas für jemand leicht sein könne, das schwer für andere sei.

Corrected version (thanks to nomas, from lang-8):

Seit vielen Jahren spreche ich kein Deutsch mehr. Nun denke ich, dass es sehr schön wäre, einen Intensiv-Kurs zu besuchen, der sich hauptsächlich auf die Sprache, aber auch auf die Grammatik konzentriert.

Obwohl ich viele deutsche Wörter kenne, ist es nicht so leicht, sich an diese Wörter zu erinnern, wenn ich sprechen oder schreiben will.

Außerdem möchte ich kein einfaches Niveau nehmen. Es ist wahr, dass etwas für jemanden leicht sein kann, das schwer für andere ist.

Edited by Flarioca on 18 January 2012 at 10:41pm

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6338 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 27 of 261
18 January 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:
Thanks to Sprachprofi (see this thread) I'm enjoying a very nice TV series about astrophysics.

Since there are more than 100 episodes, each one about 14 minutes long, I'll need to come back to Effi Briest very soon. I'll try to alternate between book and TV series.

Glad you liked the podcast thread and now you've done me the favor back with this note. Great series!! Thanks.

Are you still using LwT? How are you finding it?

Edited by zenmonkey on 18 January 2012 at 5:25pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5668 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 28 of 261
18 January 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
zenmonkey wrote:
Flarioca wrote:

Glad you liked the podcast thread and now you've done me the favor back with this note. Great series!! Thanks.

Are you still using LwT? How are you finding it?

You're welcome.

Yes, I'm quite sure that LwT, or something like it, will be with me forever! I've been thinking to write something more detailed with my opinion about it, and your question motivated me to do that sooner. Hopefully, next weekend.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5668 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 29 of 261
19 January 2012 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Some updates on my Turkish and Korean studies.

Turkish
I've already decided to change the previously established sequence, and started Bussu along with Mango.

My goal, anyway, was to test some methods and I'm not doing that as a research project, just trying to figure out which of them, if any, pleases me better.

Korean
Very slow but very pleasant study of all sounds and letters. I'm back to vowels and diphtongs!!! :-))

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5668 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 30 of 261
21 January 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion, LwT is a wonderful and powerfull tool to language learning. It combines listening, reading and vocabulary learning in a very productive way.

If you are not a fan of SRS systems, its usefulness reduces a lot, but even then you may enjoy the organized way to listening/reading activities, dictionaries integration, progressive accumulation of "known words" in texts you add to the system, automatic "known words" statistics, etc.

Of course, many people will say: "This 'known words' number cannot reflect the real number of words you know." As we have already seen in many other threads on HTLAL, it is safe to say that an absolute and precise definition of "known word" is a hard task. However, even if imprecise, this number may guide your evaluation on how much have you achieved at vocabulary learning.

At an intermediate level, reading and listening a lot has been the way I have used to improve to higher levels. Of course, you still need to talk to someone, go deeper into grammar and write to consolidate all of that. But if your goal is mainly to read stuff, and that is my first goal in any language I learn, then LwT may be almost enough.

For sure, it could be improved, in many ways. Here are some of my suggestions/desires:

- No need of web browser.
- iPhone app.
- Full integration with many dictionaries, including pop-up for all words etc.
- Full integration with Anki (no need to export, tests and flashcards sessions add to the delay of words etc.)
- Easy text edition features, i.e., during the reading/listening, without the need to interrupt session.
- Easy dismissing of words (proper nouns etc.)
- More statistics: Number of times a word has been read/tested/etc., number of times a text/recording has been read/listened to.
- Special tools to identify "hard" words.
- Customizable tests.
- Easy inclusion of sounds for terms exported to SRS.
- Customizable Romanization and other fields. You might choose, for instance IPA etc.
- Words should be allowed to connect to its inflected forms.

So far, I have found only one bug: Remove all tags doesn't work.

It is a free-open-source-in-the-public domain code, which makes it more widely accessible and, maybe, interesting.

Edited by Flarioca on 21 January 2012 at 4:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6338 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 31 of 261
24 January 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Just a quick note to thank you for pointing out the LwT software - I've installed it on two servers (for a friend too!) and am finding it useful after the first wave of removing the known terms.

I found it to be quite good in forcing me to slow down when reading and not skip words I don't know.

Thanks again. It is a good add -- and it actually lets me add cards to Anki faster than I can type.

Edited by zenmonkey on 24 January 2012 at 12:31am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5668 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 32 of 261
25 January 2012 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
You are welcome, zenmonkey!

After all 26 Marktplatz lessons, I've included each chapter of Effi Briest as a different text in LwT.

Now my unread texts (EB chapters) have less than 30% "unknown words", many of them less than 20%, and I'm doing this:

Step 1: Browse new text to see which words are really unknown and export them to Anki.
Step 2: Ankiing new words.
Step 3: Listen and read text, sometimes adding new words to Anki.

Steps 1 and 2 are one day apart. Steps 2 and 3, so far, have been done in the same day, but that'll not always be possible, for various reasons. Steps 3 and 1 are one day apart.

Edited by Flarioca on 25 January 2012 at 3:35am

This discussion contains 261 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version