Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC’13 Pax Team (ita+cat) / Assimil Exp.

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
261 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 32 33 Next >>
Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5692 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 137 of 261
17 October 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I think we might have something interesting here. Stehen translates pretty well to stand (stay upright), right? Now how would that meaning be increased, intensified, etc. to mean 'comprehend'? It makes absolutely no sense that I can think of. However, it is remarkably similar to the English construction 'understand', isn't it? 'Stand', OK, 'under', OK, 'under' + 'stand' = comprehend... WTF??? They look like exact parallels to me...

This parallel verstehen <-> understand would be exactly my argument to continue this discussion. I'm happy you've already posted it :-)

In the book "Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Deutschen" it is said that the Old English word forstanden had a meaning close to verstehen.

In Duden online we can read that verstehen also means 'mit jemandem gut auskommen, ein gutes Verhältnis haben' and this may also give us an idea about the development of the concepts that this verb comprises.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 138 of 261
18 October 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
I think we might have something interesting here. Stehen translates pretty well to stand (stay upright), right? Now how would that meaning be increased, intensified, etc. to mean 'comprehend'? It makes absolutely no sense that I can think of. However, it is remarkably similar to the English construction 'understand', isn't it? 'Stand', OK, 'under', OK, 'under' + 'stand' = comprehend... WTF??? They look like exact parallels to me...

This parallel verstehen <-> understand would be exactly my argument to continue this discussion. I'm happy you've already posted it :-)

In the book "Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Deutschen" it is said that the Old English word forstanden had a meaning close to verstehen.

In Duden online we can read that verstehen also means 'mit jemandem gut auskommen, ein gutes Verhältnis haben' and this may also give us an idea about the development of the concepts that this verb comprises.

Yes, like "we understand one another", or "we have a good understanding between ourselves", sort of thing.

Anyway, I was just going to add, for what it's worth, that Danish:

forstå (forstod, forstået) means "understand". and you won't be surprised to learn that "stå" means "stand".

So, not so far from OE "forstanden".

But I wonder how modern English ended up with "under"-stand?

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 139 of 261
18 October 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I don't know how good this source is, but:

Etymological Dictionary

offers some ideas.

Edit:

"comprehend"

comprehend

I don't know if this adds much, as it seems to come directly from Latin.

Edited by montmorency on 18 October 2012 at 12:49am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 140 of 261
18 October 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Actually, my native Spanish 'comprender' and 'entender' are compounds too. Since they're taken almost directly from Latin it also applies there.

Is 'understanding' such a complex concept that no early language had a non-affixed word for it? Amazing...

(I'm sure some language WILL have such a thing, but the thought is still funny)

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5692 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 141 of 261
18 October 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I don't know how good this source is, but:

Etymological Dictionary

offers some ideas.

I'm neither a professional nor a student of linguistics, but comparing this site with some books I have, it seems to be a reliable source.

montmorency wrote:
Anyway, I was just going to add, for what it's worth, that Danish:

forstå (forstod, forstået) means "understand". and you won't be surprised to learn that "stå" means "stand".

So, not so far from OE "forstanden".

But I wonder how modern English ended up with "under"-stand?

The ver- prefix in German comes from various sources (this for in Danish must come from some of the same source) and some seem to carry the meaning of under too. We need help of a native speaker or a linguist here :-))

mrwarper wrote:
Actually, my native Spanish 'comprender' and 'entender' are compounds too. Since they're taken almost directly from Latin it also applies there.

As you know, we also have compreender and entender as possible translation of verstehen in Portuguese, but compreender cannot be used in the sense of 'mit jemandem gut auskommen, ein gutes Verhältnis haben' (although you can 'compreender alguém') but entender also carries this meaning.

mrwarper wrote:
Is 'understanding' such a complex concept that no early language had a non-affixed word for it? Amazing...

Indeed, this could be a nice topic to some other subforum here. Maybe you could open it!

Edited by Flarioca on 18 October 2012 at 11:15pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 142 of 261
19 October 2012 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
A quick run down the vocab in my TYS Danish shows that all (I think) the "for-" verbs that correspond to German verbs correspond to German "ver-" verbs.

(e.g. "forsvinde" - disappear).

(On the other hand, some nouns and adjectives that begin "for-" correspond to German "vor-" nouns and adjectives).

(e.g. "forsigtig" - cautious, careful, gentle).

(but not all, e.g. "forfatter" - author (c.f. "Verfasser").

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 143 of 261
19 October 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

In Icelandic and Faroese, it's 'skilja'. Both languages are derived from Old Norse, so obviously Old Norse didn't have a prefixed word for 'understand'.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 144 of 261
19 October 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
So, Josquin, do you know of an old Swedish word that was later replaced by förstå?

And what about the Slavic languages, for example понимать/понять?

This discussion contains 261 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version