Spanky
Canada
Joined 5760 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 1 of 54
23 December 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Hello / Bonjour / Guten Tag

I am pleased to establish here my 2012 TAC log, representing my reckless participation
in Team Freutsch TID=30291&PN=1&TPN=6">Team Freutsch, focussing on French and German language
learning.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, and far be it for me to brag, but of the 8 current
team members, I believe I am easily the 8th most advanced learner for both languages on
the team (for those whose math is as poor as my language learning capacity, that means
I am the poor cousin at the lowest end of the team).   

Accordingly, I expect this log will constitute the kiddies pool or the shallow end of
the German and French language learning pool of Team Freutsch, as I can only just
barely tread water for very short periods in the French language, and have only just
gotten my pinky toes wet in the German language.   My hope is that by the end of the
year, I will have improved sufficiently to have me safely doing a lap or two in the
deep end.

I am looking forward to jumping in (shallow end at first, be careful of some wicked
cannonball splash action) at the beginning of January, and moving forward on a personal
and team level with what I anticipate will be a challenging but productive year for me
in 2012, though possibly a frustrating year for my team mates as they watch me flopping
around trying hopelessly to conjugate a noun or decline a verb, or ask for the tenth
time what the heck a subjunctive is.   

I will mostly be writing in English (cleverly coded as EN) in this log, but consistent
with what my team mates are doing, I will be trying to write from time to time in both
French (FR) and German (DE, which possibly stands for "De German", who knows?) from
time to time, and I may intermittently provide a translation (exact, rough or ironic),
particularly as my French and German may so widely miss the mark that a translation
would be necessary for any actual communication to be effective. Where I will be
providing an English translation of something already attempted in FR or DE, I will
mark is as EN, just to distinguish it from other stand-alone English text.

FR: Voila, mon journal !!

DE: Ich spreche nicht Deutsch.

Edited by Spanky on 23 December 2011 at 4:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4836 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 54
23 December 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I'll follow you, and good luck, team mate!

DE comes from Deutsch btw, the name of the German language auf Deutsch (in German)

And it's better to say: Ich spreche kein Deutsch, oder, Ich spreche überhaupt kein Deutch. The last one really shows you don't speak German at all.

Edit: I hate mobile-typing

Edited by ReQuest on 23 December 2011 at 7:47pm

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5124 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 54
23 December 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I wish you good luck with your German studies. How about writing your own version of Mark Twain's The Awful German language. You could call it "The Awful German language - Part Deux". (I'm sure you'll come up with a funnier name.)

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5760 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 4 of 54
23 December 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks ReQuest, one day, with luck, I may eventually learn enough German to be able to
say, auf Deutsch, that I don't actually speak it!   

Doitsujin, that's an awesome Twain piece - I consider myself duly warned but,
fortunately, I am too foolhardy to be scared away by the article from learning the
language!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5570 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 5 of 54
24 December 2011 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Hi Spanky,

Good luck with your French and German studies in 2012; of course as your team-mate I
will be following your log throughout the coming year. I thought about posting some
online resources I know of for German, as I have a folder of links somewhere on my
laptop, but I think perhaps it would be better to post them on our team thread?

I'd also like to offer a small correction for the French - voilà is spelt thus :]

Viel Glück beim Sprachlernen im kommenden Jahr.
Bonne chance avec tes études dans l'année qui vient.
Good luck with your language studies in the coming year.

Jack

PS - In English, we decline nouns (or to be more accurate for the most part in German,
the articles that go along with the nouns) and conjugate verbs. Before someone jumps in
and shoots me down though, there are some actual nouns which decline, but they're
relatively few and far between.

Edited by LanguageSponge on 24 December 2011 at 9:35am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5669 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 6 of 54
24 December 2011 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad to see you start another log, you have by far some of the most fun and interesting logs on the site!

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5760 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 7 of 54
30 December 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
That is extraordinarily kind of you to say Crush, thanks!   From a language learning perspective, my main log is mostly a record of abysmal slothfulness in language learning, but in personal terms it is a nice record for my recollection purposes of an important period of my life. I am delighted to hear that it may have been of some interest to others as well.

I intend this log to be a bit more straightforward than my other log, and hopefully, quite a bit more active.

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4672 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 8 of 54
31 December 2011 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your languages studies !