Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Comparison of books for Mandarin Chinese?

Tags: Book | Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5142 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 9 of 12
21 January 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
You might want to add "Boya Chinese" to your list of potential textbooks; it's one of
the most popular textbooks used in China and it comes in many volumes leading up to a
very high level. Initially I chose "New Practical Chinese Reader" for this reason (it
has 5 volumes), but then my Chinese tutor showed me Boya Chinese and I was impressed
with their selection of texts. At the intermediate level, one of their texts moved me
to tears. The texts in "New Practical Chinese Reader" are all typical textbook dialogs,
even at the later levels.

Boya Chinese looks enticing. How do they handle characters and pinyin? Are they used in tandem or is either employed without the other? Do you need to buy additional materials like separate audio or answer/translation keys? Is audio provided for most of the material used in the book? Other than the quality of the dialogues, how does it compare with the New Practical Chinese Reader series?

Thanks in advance.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 12
21 January 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Boya Chinese looks enticing. How do they handle characters and
pinyin? Are they used in tandem or is either employed without the other? Do you need to
buy additional materials like separate audio or answer/translation keys? Is audio
provided for most of the material used in the book? Other than the quality of the
dialogues, how does it compare with the New Practical Chinese Reader series?
Thanks in advance.

BC = Boya Chinese
NPCR = New Practical Chinese Reader

At the Absolute Beginner level
BC and NPCR dialogs are mostly comparable; NPCR's are a bit more touristy and Boya's
more geared towards talking to Chinese friends.
BC has Pinyin transcription of the dialogs underneath each dialog as a block, while
NPCR transcribes the dialogs line-by-line.
The NPCR tries to explain the composition of characters, BC doesn't. (not an issue if
you're using a separate book for that anyway)
BC has a lot of drills on pronunciation, the NPCR doesn't. (not an issue if you're
using FSI for that)

At the later levels
NPCR continues to present situational dialogs, except for volume 5, which contains
literary excerpts that have been critized as being too much of a jump from the previous
volumes. BC drops the situational dialogs early and instead features easy thought-
provoking short stories or short essays, also managing to describe the way Chinese
people think e. g. about birthday presents, or about the one-child policy.
Both BC and NPCR drop Pinyin for dialogs, only use it in vocabulary lists.
BC's vocabulary lists contain attempts to explain the word's meaning in Chinese, as
well as example phrases, something that I missed in the NPCR.
After every few BC lessons, there is a consolidation lesson where you review the new
characters and words through grouping, association and fill-in-the-blank exercises;
NPCR isn't doing any of this.
BC has 9 volumes leading up to HSK 11; I couldn't find any indication of how far the
NPCR's 5 volumes are supposed to lead you.

Additional materials
For the NPCR, there is a jungle of extra materials to purchase, e. g. a set of 4 CDs
for the textbook (essential), then an extra workbook even though the textbook already
contained exercises (not essential), and for the workbook you need to buy another set
of CDs, there's also a teacher's guidebook, and a DVD with dramatized versions of the
dialogs for every volume but the last (I guess that's why they stuck to dialog format
for so long).
BC comes with an mp3 CD included in the back of the book and I haven't seen any other
supplementary materials.

EDIT: Both of these books are primarily intended for use with a tutor. If you want an
answer key, you have to get the Teacher's guidebook for NPCR; for BC there is none that
I'm aware of. I also don't think that an answer key would help much, because most
exercises (at least at my level) are of the writing or re-writing kind, so that there
are many possible solutions.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 21 January 2012 at 9:06pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5142 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 11 of 12
21 January 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your detailed comparison. Both of these series look very good. I think the new edition of the New Practical Chinese Reader series comes with a MP3 CD, though I do not know if CDs with additional material are offered separately. I do remember seeing an abundance of ancillaries for it. There also seems to exist a sixth volume.

At what volume does each of these series stop providing pinyin? A good approach for a beginner without a teacher might be to use both to set up a strong foundation. Do you have a favorite site for ordering Chinese materials, preferably economically?

Thanks again!

Edited by Juаn on 21 January 2012 at 9:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 12
22 January 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I am not familiar with this new edition; I bought my set of materials some years ago.
In the old set, the first volume uses Pinyin throughout, the second volume puts tone
marks above the characters (interesting idea!) in the dialogs, the rest don't have any
indication of Pinyin near the dialogs anymore, only in the vocabulary lists. I cannot
say about Boya Chinese because I haven't seen any volume between the 1st and the 4th.

I think going through both as a beginner is not necessary because the first volume is
too similar and for the other volumes the NPCR isn't really worthwhile. If you want to
work with different resources, use Boya + Teach Yourself, or Assimil, or whatever.

Textbooks are roughly a fifth to a tenth of the price when you buy them in China; the
only problem is shipping cost and shipping time - but if you're getting several books
and don't urgently need them, it's really worthwhile. I bought my complete set of NPCR
off a Chinese seller on eBay and saved several hundred dollars. eBay is preferable to
unknown Chinese online sites because it gives you buyer protection, and sellers who
speak English. For smaller purchases I use http://www.chinabooks.ch or
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk (free worldwide shipping).

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version