Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4604 days ago

8 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 4
24 December 2011 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
One difficulty that I am still facing today in English is it's seemingly infinite
amount of vocabularies and synonyms. I am struggling to enlarge my vocabulary by
reading newspapers, and almost every article I read in English newspapers such as the
Wall Street Journal, New York Times or the Economist have either words that look
familiar or words that I don't think I've ever encountered.

Mandarin is the language that I speak at home and received 5 years of primary school education with it as the language of instruction. However, I don't remember having any
difficulties reading novels, newspapers etc. in Chinese. Of course, many scientific or
mathematical words I learned in secondary education in English I only know in English,
but in terms of vocabulary used in books or the media, I never fail to understand the
meaning.

I think what caused my perceptually large Chinese vocabulary is that the Chinese
language is very regular in forming words. I think almost all nouns have are constructed with word stems originating in Chinese, that made it incredibly easy to
memorize. For example, mathematics is "shuxue," the "study of numbers." Also all the
adjectives seems to be modern, meaning that Chinese words that existed historically but
not used in conversations are considered out of circulation, and archaic, but English
words might be rarely used, but one can still use it in formal writing.

Is my hypothesis correct about the difference in Chinese and English? I think most of
the time, when I look at a Chinese word, I can understand the meaning without
consulting a dictionary, while it is impossible for English because of the very heterogeneous sources of English vocabs, and that pronunciation drifts in English
causes spelling irregularities, while these are non-existent in Chinese.

Are there any other language that share this trait of regular word construction in
Chinese? Sorry if I rambled but I was trying my best to make myself clear.
2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4749 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 4
24 December 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
I believe what you are hinting at is that English has an every day core vocabulary that is distinctly Germanic in origin, but a "literati" (elitist) vocabulary whose lexicon is clearly underpinned by Latin, Norman, French, and to a much lesser extent Italian dialects.

So, to be capable of deducing meaning of words based on prefixes, suffixes, etc (or even an educated guess through inference), you need to be familiar with Latin either through study of Latin word formation, or knowing a Latin or Romance language outright, as well as Germanic prefixes and word stock.

This became patently obvious to me when I began a conscious effort to substantially increase my English vocab, that my knowledge of Spanish, and my (still basic) but improving French, was an invaluable asset when I learned new words in English, because a decisive portion of non-core English vocabulary is mainly rooted in Latin/French. I know for a fact that if I did not have that advantage, the time required in figuring out meaning would be sensibly slower. Many times I see a new word and immediately know what the general "theme" will be, because it is similar to a word in Spanish or French (denouement, dishabille, raconteur, gravid, solo, métier, luminary, insuperable, just as an example of words that are rare but when I first saw them I immediately knew their general or exact meaning, without even referring to the dictionary for their official definition). Yes, sometimes there are false friends that sneak in, but that occurs surprisingly infrequently with low-frequency vocab it appears to me, because theese words are used so sparingly that they rarely have the chance to undergo semantic drift that comes with widespread usage.

As you said, since Chinese has an overwhelming native component to word formation, once your brain establishes and hones in to that pattern, you are pretty much set to go.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 4
25 December 2011 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
moonjun wrote:
Are there any other language that share this trait of regular word construction in
Chinese? Sorry if I rambled but I was trying my best to make myself clear.
Finnish and Icelandic do the same, to a lesser extent German. At least Russian relies a lot on loan words here, often with a meaning narrower than originally.
1 person has voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4665 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 4
25 December 2011 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
I am a native English speaker with a a year of Latin and two years of German in high school, 50 years ago. I rarely see an unfamiliar word in English, but when I do, I can almost always figure out what it means from a combination of context and the fact that if it is an unfamiliar words it's probably from Latin or Greek. The Germanic words are all so fundamental to English that I'm pretty sure I know them all. ;-)

When I was in high school my sister and I used to play a game where we would find a word in the dictionary and see if the other person could define it. We could go back and forth for hours picking words, trying to stump the other, and we rarely missed any of them.

My impression of English vocabulary is that it is very logical and systematic. and Now that I'm really getting into Spanish I'm finding that it, too, had a very logical vocabulary. Very often I'm able to work out the meaning of an unfamiliar word by knowing the affixes and the likely Latin cognates.

I know nothing at all about Chinese, but I'm willing to bet trying to figure out an unfamiliar Chinese word would be a nightmare for me. So it all depends on what you're used to and what you grew up absorbing. All I absorbed was English, and as a voracious read I absorbed a LOT of English, so the whole system of roots and affixes and Latin cognates is second nature to me.

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version