Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5042 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 49 of 62
21 August 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Я начнал изучать один нов язык - можете вы погадать котором он есть? ;)
Сейчас я не могу писать много, но я хочу изучать более.
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5042 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 50 of 62
14 October 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
It seems it's about time to post here.

Finnish has been becoming increasingly transparent. Now I need a dictionary for only like 10 - 15% of the words in selkouutiset, but I think this is because they use a simple language. Also when listening to radio I can now distinguish most words(but can't process them since they're talking too fast), as opposed to slurred nonsense before.

I stopped Hungarian in favor of Euskara - it just sounds so awesome.

For a long time by now I've been doing nothing with Norwegian, except for trying to make sense out of klartale. I can't help doing nothing, since it's so close to English - grammar and word order are the same for like 80% - 90% of the time. I feel like it's just learning words and expressions and applying them to a bit modified English.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5042 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 51 of 62
09 December 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Might as well update this again so that people don't think I'm inactive. I'll update it tommorow though

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5042 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 52 of 62
10 December 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
So it's time for the update. I've been visiting the news sites increasingly often, like 4 time a week (which is often for me) and to my surprise I understand most of the text in both languages. I've stopped learning any other language except Norwegian and Finnish (and I'm actually more of practicing these) since I don't have much time lately, but I hope this will change the next year.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 53 of 62
10 December 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Do you focus on print (e.g. Helsingin Sanomat) or take news in any format?

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5135 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 54 of 62
11 December 2012 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
Might as well update this again so that people don't think I'm inactive. I'll update it tommorow though

Sorry about that. Personally, I thought you hadn't posted for about 3 or 4 months, which is why I didn't mention you on the voting list for active team members. I should have checked properly. I've now added you to the list of active team members.

Glad you're still active until the end.

Edited by hribecek on 11 December 2012 at 8:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5042 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 55 of 62
28 December 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's time for revision of the goals that were set and the achievements that were made.
a3 wrote:
This is MoqT(моят) language learning log. I'll be using it for TAC 2012, being part of team *jäŋe/*ledús.

My target languages are:
-Finnish - currently my skills are pretty low. I understand only every 4th or so word in a text and can make only simple sentences with olla, mennä. I can understand spoken text only if it is slowly and clearly pronounced and with words I know, of course. As for speaking, I guess only I can understand myself at this point ;)
Goal: to be able to read and understand short texts and articles. To be able to express myself freely about everyday situations and things.

Current level test, articles are today's of selkouutiset http://yle.fi/selkouutiset/, I needed a dictionary for the bolded words(the word is bolded in all instances even if I checked it only once):
--------------
Yleisradion nettisivulle on tehty hyökkäys

Yleisradion nettisivut eivät toimineet torstaina, koska sivuille oli tehty hyökkäys. Sivuille otettiin niin monta kertaa yhteyttä samaan aikaan, että sivut eivät sen jälkeen enää toimineet. Ylen nettisivut olivat pois päältä yli tunnin.

Viime päivinä myös muiden medioiden nettisivuille on tehty hyökkäyksiä. Esimerkiksi Iltalehden, Sanoman ja Nelosen sivut ovat olleet pois päältä hyökkäyksen takia.

Ylen tietohallinto yrittää nyt selvittää, kuka hyökkäyksiä on tehnyt.
--------------
An attack is made to the webpage of Yleis radio

The webpages of Yleis radio didn't function thursday, because an attack was made to the pages. Meanwhile the access to the pages was taken away for quite a long time(lit.: To the pages was taken quite a lot of hours access in the same time), so the pages still didn't function after that. The webpages of Yle were away from end(connection?) for over an hour.

In the last days the webpages of different media were also attacked (lit.: attacks were also made to them). For example, the pages of Iltalehti, Sanoma and Nelonen were away from connection? because of the attack.

Yle's knowledgemanagement? (administration) now tries to find out (lit.: to make clear) who has made the attacks.
--------------
Overall I'm satisfied, though I needed to check the meaning of the trivial preposition yli. I also have misremembered the declension of tunti (thought it replaces i with e) and so though tunnin is an unknown word.
I also stumbled upon an interesting use of the word for 'head' with meaning 'connection', 'availableness'.
--------------
Ilotulitteiden myynti on alkanut

Ilotulitteiden myynti on alkanut torstaina. Raketteja ja muita ilotulitteita voi ostaa uudenvuodenaattoon saakka. Suomessa myydään ennen uutta vuotta noin kaksi miljoonaa ilotulitetta.

Suomessa saa myydä vain ilotulitteita, jotka Turvallisuus- ja kemikaalivirasto eli Tukes on hyväksynyt. Myös ilotulitteet, joissa on merkintä CE, ovat EU:n hyväksymiä ilotulitteita.

Tukes sanoo, että suojalasit ovat pakollisia ilotulitteiden ampujille. Ilotulitteet ovat vaarallisia. Niistä voi tulla esimerkiksi silmävammoja, jos ei käytä suojalaseja.

Tukesilla on ennen uutta vuotta kampanja ilotulitteiden turvallisuudesta. Kampanja on esimerkiksi Facebookissa ja YouTubessa. Tukes yrittää kampanjan avulla tavoittaa nuoria ja kertoa ilotulitteiden riskeistä ja suojalasien käytöstä.
-------------
Fireworks sale has begun (lit.: sale of fireworks)

Fireworks sale has begun thursday. Rockets and other fireworks may be bought until New Years eve. In Finland are sold before New Year about two million fireworks.

In Finland may be sold only fireworks, which Security and Chemicals Agency a.k.a. Tukes has approved. Also fireworks, which have marking CE, are EU approved fireworks.

Tukes says that protective glasses are obligatory for shooting fireworks. Fireworks are dangerous. They can cause (lit.: from them may come) eye injuries if protective glasses are not used.

Tukes has a fireworks security campaign before New Year. The campaign is for example on facebook and youtube. Tukes tries with the help of the campaign to get the young ones to know (the dangers?) and to tell about the risks of fireworks and about the use of the protective glasses.
-------------
I'm also quite happy here. Once I found out there was no word tulitti, I immediately figured out the word is tulite. Before words in -e with gradation in the last syllable have caused me much trouble and I'd try to search for *tulitte instead.
I guessed right that vaarallinen means dangerous, but I decided to check it just in case.
Also, in this text for the first time I happened to stumble upon an agent participle, notice it and understand it. The last part took a while though.
--------------
Olen iloinen, että ymmärrän suomea hyvin paremmin nyt. Myös voin kirjoittaa lisää ja lisästä, mutta sen kanssa teen lisääkin virheet. Ainoa toivon, että voidaan ymmärtää minua, en halua lisää tämänä aikana.
Olen iloinen myös siistä, että en käy sanakirjaa kirjoittamassa.
a3 wrote:
-Norwegian - if my skills in Finnish are low, then the ones in Norwegian are (almost) none. I know only the personal pronouns in nominative, the verb to be in present tense and a few words.
I swear this isn't correct. Seriously. There's no way I have learnt that much within a year's time, even without considering the fact that I haven't learned for most of the time.

Norwegian level test, translated by dictionary words in bold, those figured out on the bases on cognates underlined, article from klartale http://www.klartale.no/kultur/musikalsk-nyttar/:

Musikalsk nyttår / Musical new year

Nyttårskonsertene er en tradisjon mange steder. På 1. nyttårsdag, setter mange seg foran Tv-en for å se nyttårskonserten med orkesteret Wiener Philharmonikerne. Det er verdens mest kjente nyttårskonsert. Den er hvert år i Wien i Østerrike. Konserten sendes direkte til over 70 land. I år kan du se den på kanalen NRK 1. januar klokka 12.15.

New year's concert is a tradition (in/for??) many places. In the first day of the new year many lay down in front of the TV to see the new years concert with the orchester Wiener Philharmonikerne. It's the world's most known concert. It's every year in Vienna in Austria. The concert is broadcasted directly to over 70 countries. You can see this year's concert on channel nrk on 1st of january 12:15.

Mennesker fra hele verden ønsker seg en billett for å oppleve denne konserten fra salen. For å gjøre det mest mulig rettferdig, arrangerer orkesteret lotteri hvert år. De som vinner lotteriet, får kjøpe billett til konserten. Lotteriet arrangeres i januar, for neste nyttårskonsert. Men hvis du ikke er blant de heldige som får ta turen dit i år, er det ingen grunn til å fortvile. Også i Norge er det mye nyttårsmusikk du kan få med deg.

People from all over the world wish a ticket to see live this concert in the auditorium. To make it as fair as possible, the orchester arranges a lottery every year. Those who win the lottery can buy a ticket for the concert. The lottery is arranged in january for the next new years concert. But if you're not among the fortunate who can have a trip to there, there's no reason to despair. In Norway there's also a lot of new years music you can get.

Orkesteret Oslo-Filharmonien arrangerer nyttårskonsert hvert år. I år har de invitert den britisk-norske fiolinisten Charlie Siem Han er på få år blitt en av Storbritannias mest populære klassiske artister. Sammen med orkesteret, skal han spille musikk av blant annet komponistene Grieg og Bizet. Denne konserten kan du få med deg i Oslo 8., 9. og 10. januar. Så spilles den i Lillehammer i Oppland 11. januar.

The orchester Oslo-Filharmonien arranges a new years concert every year. This year they've invited the british-norwegian violinist Charlie Siem. In a few years he has become one of Greatbrittains most popular classic artists. Together with the orchester he'll play music of the compositors Grieg and Bizet, among others. You can get this concert in Oslo in 8th 9th and 10th of January. Then it'll be played in Lillehammer in Oppland on 11th of January.

Også artist Heine Totland feirer nyttår med musikk. Totland har blant annet hatt store roller i musikaler som «Jesus Christ Superstar» og «Les Miserables». I Oslo spiller han sammen med Stabsmusikken, i konserten «Nyttår for svingende!» De lover flotte melodier og svingende musikk.

The artist Heine Totland also celebrates new year with music. Totland, among others, had big roles in musicals such as «Jesus Christ Superstar» and «Les Miserables». In Oslo he plays together with Stabsmusikken in the concert «Nyttår for svingende!». They love glorious melodies and oscillating music.

Også i Trondheim er nyttårskonserten en viktig tradisjon. Der er det Trondheim symfoniorkester som spiller. De lover et fyrverkeri av en konsert, med overraskelser og spennende solister. Det kan du få med deg 4. og 5. januar.

In Trondheim the newyearsconcert is also an important tradition. Trondheim's symphonyorcheter is the one which will perfrom. They love fireworks of a concert, with suprising and exciting soloists. This you can get on 4th and 5th of January.

...etc...

Overall I'm surprised by the easiness of the text. Usually the number of the words I don't understand is two to three times more. I'm still confused by those little words with 56789 meanings - it took me several minutes to realise that få in the third paragraph means not 'get', but 'few'. Then there's the word så which can mean 'so', 'sow', 'then', 'saw', 'next', 'how', 'therefore' and one million other things. And then you have the word 'for', which can mean 'for', but also 'too'(as in too big) and you should not confuse it neither with få, nor with 'fort', the latter meaning 'fast'.

Jeg kann ikke skrive så mye som i finnsk eller som jeg forstår, men jeg tror jeg kann skrive mer enn jeg kunne i årets begyning. Jeg brukker ikke ei ordbok, så troligmest gjøre jeg veldig mye feller.

a3 wrote:
Secondary languages I might try to learn something of include, but don't limit to:
Spanish, Hungarian, Dutch, Swedish

Last, but not least: Csak az csatlakozzon hozzánk, aki ilyet szeret

I've completely abondened the idea of learning Spansih so far, in favor of other languages, since it's so popular and therefore not so interesting. I began learning Hungarian for a short while, but the bad memories of the first weeks of learning Finnish, plus the lack of time made me stop. Hopefully I'll pick a bit this year.
As for Dutch, I gave up before even I have started only because of the idea to learn yet another language with completely randomly distributed genders and decided to learn Afrikaans instead. The lack of resources proved to be a major obstacle. Eventually I found some, not without the help of my teammate mick33.
Seeing how much Norwegian mutually inteligible with Swedish is, I thought it's not worth the big effort for a bit more comprehension.

In the next few days I'll update this thread with the goals for 2013.

Edited by a3 on 28 December 2012 at 2:48pm

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5042 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 56 of 62
02 January 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Do you focus on print (e.g. Helsingin Sanomat) or take news in any format?
Chung, I saw your post, but forgot to reply. How embarassing of me. For the time being I read only selkouutiset, for only it is enough comprehensible to me.

So the new year has started, time to do some revision.

Basque

Probably the most interesting thing about Basque from a linguistic standpoint is that it is the only ergative language in Europe, surrounded by a sea of accusative and analytic languages. An accusative language is a language in which the subject of the sentence is in nominative case and the object is in accusative - this is the situation with almost all of the European languages and can be seen in the English person pronouns - they vs. them.
On the other hand an ergative language is a language in which the subject of an intransitive verb and the object of a transitive one are in one case, while the subject of a transitive verb is in another. In other words, in both of the sentences:

The man walks.
The teacher sees the man.

the word 'man' is in the same case, called absolutive, while the word 'teacher' is in another, called ergative. This is what has caused me most difficulties so far, but not because of the case system itself, but because the verb is marked both for the ergative and the absolutive arguments (and even for dative if there is one).

Basic declension of nouns

The absolutive case is unmarked, it is the dictionary form. The ergative case ends in -k. Basque nouns have four declensions, one for each of the following: unmarked nouns, singular definite nouns, plural definite nouns and proper names. Unmarked nouns usually have some determiner other than the definite article, which is suffixed to the noun. Let's see each of the declensions(Ø denotes no ending):

Absolutive case:
Unmarked nouns(1): -Ø
Singular definite nouns(2): -a
Plural definite nouns(3): -ak
Proper names(4): -Ø

Ergative case:
1: -(e)k
2: -ak
3: -ek
4 -(e)k

Dative case:
1: -(r)i
2: -ari
3: -ei
4: -(r)i

The r and e in brackets appear only after a preceding vowel and consonant respectively.
Taking these declensions, let's decline some nouns:

gizon - man ABS         &nb sp;mendi - mountain ABS
gizona - the man ABS     mendia - the mountain ABS
gizonak - the men ABS     mendiak - the mountains ABS

gizonek - man ERG     mendik - mountain ERG
gizonak - the man ERG     mendiak - the mountain ERG
gizonek - the men ERG     mendiek - the mountains ERG

gizoni - to a man     mendiri - to a mountain
gizonari - to the man     mendiari - to the mountain
gizonei - to the men     mendiei - to the mountains

Usually there is no confusion when different forms coincide, because the verb is marked both for person and for number of all of its arguments.

What follows is some determiners to use with the nouns as well as the two verbs 'to be'.

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version