Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5016 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 25 of 62
19 January 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
I began another set of words for Finnish from memrise - so far all of the new ones have been easy. When I have completed it, I'll have learned like 900 words from memrise.
Also, I started reading an e-book, Elämän meri. I understand like 5 words per page, but I'm determined to read all of it, since my passive understanding of German improved a lot by book reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5016 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 26 of 62
21 January 2012 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Long live the wanderlust!
For several hours in two days(yesterday and today) I learned Toki Pona. It's a really fun, good, simple, pona language in my opinion. Everyone who wants to learn a foreign language should learn Toki Pona as his first foreign since it's easily the easiest language in the world! It has like 120 words and all of its grammar can be written on a single sheet of paper.

mi sona e toki pona. ni li pona tawa mi. tenpo suno pini en suno ni la mi kama sona e toki pona. mi pilin e ni: toki pona li pona mute e toki. mi wile toki mute kepeken toki pona. ni li pona mute. mi kepeken ala e nimi mute. taso mi sona e nimi ali. mi wile toki sin wan e ni: toki pona li pona tawa mi.

As usual, I continue studying words from memrise. Also I'm gaining momentum in Norwegian

Edited by a3 on 21 January 2012 at 3:01pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5109 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 27 of 62
21 January 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Toki pona li pona tawa mi!

I studied Toki Pona a year or two ago and really enjoyed it too. I got to the point where I knew all the root words and a couple of hundred other combinations, but it is more difficult than it seems because the meanings are so ambiguous with so few words meaning so many things and obviously there is not much context when the language is mostly used on the Toki Pona forum. The lack of words is actually the difficulty too. Obviously it's still easy but I think Esperanto is a little easier.

Are you going to keep up your studies? I found it hard to maintain enough motivation because of the demands of my living languages.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5016 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 28 of 62
21 January 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
i dont have any plans really, i'll see how it goes
i dont see what else there is to study when one has learned the little grammar and 120 words, so no i wont study it simply because there isnt anything more to study
i will definitely seek opportunities to use it in near future, especially texts to read
however i prefer to focus on finnish and norwegian and lojban. as wanderlust
toki pona was just a minor detour in the big picture

jan ante kin li toki kepeken toki pona. ni li pona tawa mi.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 62
21 January 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Ohhh I love toki pona<3 I agree with what was mentioned in the other thread, it's relieving. my priority is writing, really.
And yeah, I agree that Esperanto is easier, especially as the 1.5th foreign language for those that studied French or Spanish and failed.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5109 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 30 of 62
22 January 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
i dont have any plans really, i'll see how it goes
i dont see what else there is to study when one has learned the little grammar and 120 words, so no i wont study it simply because there isnt anything more to study
i will definitely seek opportunities to use it in near future, especially texts to read
however i prefer to focus on finnish and norwegian and lojban. as wanderlust
toki pona was just a minor detour in the big picture

jan ante kin li toki kepeken toki pona. ni li pona tawa mi.

I had a look at the link you posted about lojban and it seems very interesting and original. If there were 50 hours in a day, I would definitely take up that language too, as well as improve my Toki Pona again. How well can you use it and do you use it in practice?

There is a lot to learn in Toki Pona, even after you learn all the 120 words and all the grammar. There are so many more combinations you need to be able to function in the language, the 120 words are just a good start.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5016 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 31 of 62
24 January 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I cant deny it, for the last week or so I have hardly done anything. There has been steady, but slow progress in Norwegian and I have been regularly revising words from memrise, but aside from that, I havent done anything.

I'm still quite busy, but I've just finished kolme kappaletta from hyvin menee and I'll probably continue with the next one this evening. I'm also planing to revise the material from From start to Finnish soon.

Word-wise I've been very annoyed that like half of the Finnish decks contain words like dignified, diligent, 'hole-in-the-ice' (seriously, why would I ever need to know this), 'period-of-winter-darkness', etc. These will probably be useful to know at later stage, but now they're useless to me. Now that I started reading Elämän meri I realised how poor my vocabulary still is. I need to find like the 1000 most frequent words in Finnish from somewhere and create my own deck.

Edited by a3 on 24 January 2012 at 6:26pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 62
24 January 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
'hole-in-the-ice' (seriously, why would I ever need to know this), 'period-of-winter-darkness'
because that's Finland<3 these concepts are important. any textbook has a text about sauna for example, and any of these texts will mention avantouinti :) avanto is also an important word if you're going fishing in winter:)

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version