Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 33 of 62
28 January 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
it's been all the same for the last few days - learning increasingly bigger amount of words from memrise (i began to Norwegian words there, too) and reading two grammars at the same time; they hardly contain anything new to me, Im merely strengthening my knowledges. I feel I need sometime soon to start again lwt, so i actually see how the language works in practice. As for Norwegian im still in learning the basics phase, it's a long way till I'll be able to read and understand something from texts(though knowing English and some German helps a lot)
2 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 34 of 62
31 January 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I've been concentrating mainly on Norwegian recently, learning more core words. I feel like starting reading texts with lwt sometime soon. Though I need to find time for it, since I barely have time even to learn new words, let alone grammar&reading.
I suspect reading and understanding Norwegian will be a piece of cake, since most of the words are similar if not identical to their English counterparts:
under = under
over = over
vi = we
oss = us
opp = up
i = in
er = are
etc.

Edited by a3 on 31 January 2012 at 9:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 35 of 62
01 February 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
I started reading one of the more advanced texts from Ymmärrä Suomea and to my suprise I understand most of it! I get the rough meaning of words I have never seen before. I even understand what new to me verb forms mean. I have read only the first part so far.
Quote:

Tällä hetkellä noin puolet suomalaisista asuu Helsingin lähistöllä. Helsinki, Espoo ja Vantaa ovat jo nyt Suomen suurimmat kaupungit ja asukasluvut kaikissa näissä kaupungeissa kasvavat koko ajan. Kuitenkin koko Suomen asukasluku pysyy samana. Mitä tämä merkitsee? Maaseutu tyhjenee. Entiset vilkkaat kyläyhteisöt kuolevat. Kaupat ja koulut lakkautetaan. Nuoret ihmiset muuttavat taajamiin, koska kotiseudulla ei ole mitään työmahdollisuuksia. Vain vanhukset jäävät elämään kyliin.

Here's how I translate it:
In this moment about half of the finns live in Helsinki or nearby. Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa are already the biggest cities in Finnland and the population in each of them increases all the time. However, the whole Finnish population remains the same. What does this mean? Countryside ?????. Former (villages ?) ?????? die. Shops and schools close doors. The young people change their place of living, because the countryside doesnt have any opportunites for job(?). Only the old people remain to live in the villages.

It may look like I'm very advanced by now, but hey, this is only a beginner's text, so I'm not. I can't wait for the moment when I understand that much from a real one.

Edited by a3 on 01 February 2012 at 9:00am

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 36 of 62
02 February 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
the third Finnish infinitive

Since I come across it increasingly often when reading Finnish, I think it's about time to learn it.
The third infinitive is formed by adding ma/mä to the strong verb grade and then takes a case ending.
It's used to connect two verbs.
When used in allative, it represents the means of doing something. I'm still confused between it's inessive and illative.

Some examples from uusi kielemme:
Menen ravintolaan syömään.      I go to the restaurant to eat.
Olen ravintolassa syömässä.      I'm in the restaurant eating.
Tulen ravintolasta syömästä.      I come from the restaurant from eating.
Menen sinne lentämällä.      I go there flying.

from second reading, it looks like the third infinitive is actually an inflected form of the agent participle:
Quote:

The author of the action (the agent) is always known when using this participle. It indicates something done by someone and can be inflected in all cases. If you don't know who the agent is, you have to use the passive past participle.
Example:
Kallen maalaama talo
= Talo, jonka Kalle on maalannut.
= The house painted by Kalle.
Compare with:
maalattu talo (passive past participle)
= Talo, joka on maalattu.
= the painted house
Example:
Sinun tekemä virhe
= Virhe, jonka sinä olet tehnyt.
= the mistake made by you

http://www.uusikielemme.fi/agentparticiple.html

=======================

Change in plan

It looks like I understand most from ymmärrä suomea and since I want to progress fast, I'll try to step out of my comfort zone, as Benny suggested. Therefore I'm begining to read (and also maybe listen) news from http://yle.fi/selkouutiset/ for which I learned about from my mate cathrynm. I'll see if I'll still use lwt as a quick way to handle new words.

As for Norwegian, I'll also try to step out of my comfort zone, but for now I feel the only thing I need to do is to learn new words. After I finish the deck Im currently learning (about 500 words) I'll start reading newspaper articles, may be with lwt.

Also today I had the opportunity to speak in English to foreigners. :-) I always think my accent is bad, but to my suprise they actually understood me. I'll have the opportunity to practice more English (and German) after about two months.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 62
02 February 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
Maaseutu tyhjenee. Entiset vilkkaat kyläyhteisöt kuolevat.
The countryside gets empty (tyhjetä, 6th type). Former(ly) lively rural communities die out.
3 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 38 of 62
21 March 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Just to say Im still in - I simply lost the interest in viewing forums. I have advanced in both target langs and also learned a bit French, since Im travelling to Switzerland soon.
Sometime later I'll post what progress I have made

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 39 of 62
10 May 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Did I mention I'm not used to track my progress? I have absolutely no idea at what level I was when I wrote my previous post. Good thing I at least wrote what I was I able to in OP.
What I've done recently:

-began to read regularly (at least once a week) klartale. It feels so good now that I actually understand more than the half words. I still use the dictionary several times a sentence though. Also on lang-8 people actually understand my broken Norwegian.

-every now and then I return reading a coursebook for Finnish. Much of the desire to learn the language is gone now that I read this is a rather popular language amongst language learners. D: I thought it's an obscure and almost unlearned language. Still, I'm planning to (re)gain a reasonably good momentum later this year.

-joined Duolingo and reinforced the little German I know. Note that 'little' is my definition of how much I can speak the language. When I chatted with a random stranger on omegle from Germany entirely in German, he told me that judging only from the chat one could mistake me as the regular German worker(mauerer). I admit I was able to express myself somewhat freely, but I dont believe Im that advanced.

-planning to learn a bit of Hungarian and Spanish in the coming two three months. I just hope this 'a bit' doesn't become something bigger so that I have time for Finnish and Norwegian. Also replaced Dutch for Afrikaans, but this is still aimed for the indefinite future.

I'm also planning on visiting this forum more often so that I dont miss challenges just like that.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 40 of 62
14 June 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Currently I'm reading a German coursebook for Finnish, improving two languages at the same time. I seem to not be able to reach even the middle of any coursebook I startreading, so maybe it's time for something more advanced.
After several hours of watching Broedrene Dal I feel I can transcribe almost the half of the dialogues, which is quite an achievement, given how slurred Norwegian is. Now also I understand more than one or two words per 30 minutes. I recall how when I began watching I couldnt understand a thing, without the video the audio was a sensless string of blurred sounds.

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version