Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 57 of 62
04 January 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Determiners

Determiners are words which is some way determine the noun phrase, as the name suggests. They are most frequently numbers and demonstrative pronouns. Most frequently the unmarked form of the noun is used with them. Some examples:

gizon bat - a man/one man
mendi bat - a mountain/one mountain
bi gizon/gizon bi - two men
hiru mendi - three mountains
gizon hau - this man
zein mendi - which mountain

Whether the determiner precedes or follows the noun is quite tricky matter I have not yet completely understood and might explain later.

The verb to be

Basque, like Spanish, has two verbs for to be - izan and egon - the former denoting a permanent state and the latter temporary. Their conjucations are irregular, but trivial:

izan

ni naiz         &n bsp;I am         &nbs p;     gu gara         &n bsp;we are
hi haiz         &n bsp;you(familiar) are     zu zara         &n bsp;you(sg) are     zuek zarete you(pl) are
hura da         &nbs p;s/he is         &nbs p;     haiek dira     they are

egon

ni nago         &n bsp;I am         &nbs p;     gu gaude     we are
hi hago         &n bsp;you(familiar) are     zu zaude     you(sg) are     zuek zaudete you(pl) are
hura dago     s/he is         &nbs p;     haiek daude     they are

The verb to have

It is more trickier, since it agrees both with the subject and the object. Thankfully, it's conjugated completely regularly. Let's look at the preffixes and suffixes:
agent:
I: -t
you(familiar): -k if the second person is male and -n female
he/she/it: -Ø (no ending)
we: -gu
you(sg): -zu
they: -te
you(pl): -zue

patient:
me: na-
you(familiar): ha-
him/her/it: d-
us: gait-
you(sg): zait-
them: dit-
you(pl): zait- + ending -te before the agent ending

The verb's stem is -u-

some examples:

dut - I have it
gaitu - he/she/it has us
nauzu - you(sg) have me
duzu - you(sg) have it
dugu - we have it
zaituztet - I have you(pl)

Note that the last example is not irregular. Rather, Basque turns all instances of tute into tuzte.
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 58 of 62
07 January 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Lately I've been using Anki to master the irregular Norwegian verbs as well as improving my overall comprehension with Norwegian sentences with audio as advised by my teammate Expugnator. I've also began a deep analysis of Ukrainian grammar.
Sorry to say it, I might exit the TAC sometime this year - I've found something much more worth striving for. But that's not final yet - much depends on how the life will get in and how will things develop.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 59 of 62
03 March 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
For little over the half of the past month I've been reading articles each day in Finnish and Norwegian. I'll see how will things develop this one, I want to get to the point where I do something each day for 4 languages - in this way the progress is inevitable.
For quite of some time languages haven't been my main focus since I've been participating in competitions and stuff and I've also been busy with other things.
Also, I don't visit this forum often anymore, because when I do, I waste a lot of useful time, during which I could be doing something more useful. However later this year, when the competitions are over, I intend to become more active for at least a little while.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 60 of 62
01 August 2013 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
        .............aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back. For most of the time life has been getting in the way, so I had little to no time for learning. But that state of things lasts no longer. btw is it only me or htlal has become thrice as slow in the meantime?
To keep things simple, I'll focus mainly on two languages - Ukrainian and Basque, somewhat practicing the others, and not turning much* attention to others. Also, I'm limiting myself to 1:50 learning per day, with maximum of 1hr for a language. I'm doing this with two purposes: firstly, so that languages themselves don't get in the way of other things, and secondly, because spending too much time on a single activity may result in it becoming uninteresting to you. I'm not sure if this holds for practicing vocabulary though, since it's quite time consuming by itself and I don't want the whole lling to become only a word recalling.

*much is a relative concept.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 61 of 62
17 August 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't jam everything I wanted to into that now in retrospective so tight timeframe, but at least I limited myself as to what to do each day - two units of Ukranian, one of Basque and half to one of Finnish. Mind you, for each language the lessons are of different length. The idea is to get out of my comfort zone, which is what I more or less willingly do. At the end of the month I'll finnish with the Ukrainian textbook and then I'll immerse into a forum, to activate my writing skills. At least that's the plan for now. May be the same stands for Finnish, the lessons of which I'll be finished sometime next month. After those, I believe I'll have to for more languages and will finally begin to study seriously Norwegian and Afrikaans.
Я вже можу написати щось, але розумiю навить бiльше.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 62 of 62
10 July 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Maakotkat ovat saaneet tänä vuonna paljon poikasia. Uusia poikasia on löydetty melkein 200. Maakotka on yksi (1) Suomen suurista linnuista.

Golden eagles this year have many male offsprings. New male offsprings are found to be around 200. The golden eagle is the largest bird in Finland.

Maakotkanpoikasia syntyi tänä vuonna paljon, koska talvi ei ollut kovin kylmä. Maakotkat ovat myös löytäneet hyvin ruokaa poikasilleen. Yhdessä maakotkan pesässä on tavallisesti vain yksi (1) poikanen.

Many male golden eagles were born this year, since the winter wasn't very cold. Golden eagles also have found some good food for their offsprings. In one golden eagle nest there is usually only one hatchling.

Maakotka elää pohjoisessa. Kotkia näkyy eniten Lapin taivaalla. Maakotkan siipiväli eli pituus siivenkärjestä toiseen voi olla yli kaksi (2) metriä.

Golden eagles usually live to the north. Eagles are seen in the most of Lapp sky. Golden eagle's wingspan or length between wings' tips can be over two meters.

http://yle.fi/selkouutiset/

Edited by a3 on 10 July 2014 at 8:27pm

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version