Joined 6669 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 17 of 46
04 June 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Eidolio wrote:
Trilinguism in Belgium is on its way back, I'm afraid

Really? It wasn't noticeably diminishing when I worked there in 1988. Lots of signs like
Shop window wrote:
"Shop assistant wanted. Must be perfectly trilingual"

Quote:
In Wallony the situation is even worse because of the education programmes. Wallon children only start learning a foreign language in the first year of secondary school and they have to choose between English and Dutch!

How many speak Walloon? It is a common misunderstanding that Wallon is Belgian French. If you think so, try this piece from here:
Wallon guy wrote:
Si dj' comprind bén, on pout bén aveur li droet teyorike d' aprinde li walon, sins police-pinsêye ki vénrèt schoûter ås ouxhs eyet egayoler les cis ki cåzrént walon; gråces, c' est foirt binamé, foirt democratike;
mins sol minme lan, vos n' voloz nén k' on åyexhe li droet d' aveur èn acsegnmint do walon; on l' pout bén aprinde... mins on n' pout nén aveur des mwaisses po l' acsegnî...

(So, it's Scandianavian and Walon only in this wide world that use "å"?)
Regarding the requisite to know Dutch for higher positions in Brussels, I'm slightly puzzled. For country-wide performance, OK, but the only place in Brussels where I found it appropriate to use Dutch was in the Dutch bookstore; everybody else used French. (Well, an exception was the charwoman where I lived. She was Flemish, and was quite pleased to, for once, supply some practice in Dutch.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Tjerk
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6559 days ago

54 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: Swedish

Message 18 of 46
04 June 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Wallon guy wrote:
Si dj' comprind bén, on pout bén aveur li droet teyorike d' aprinde li walon, sins police-pinsêye ki vénrèt schoûter ås ouxhs eyet egayoler les cis ki cåzrént walon; gråces, c' est foirt binamé, foirt democratike;
mins sol minme lan, vos n' voloz nén k' on åyexhe li droet d' aveur èn acsegnmint do walon; on l' pout bén aprinde... mins on n' pout nén aveur des mwaisses po l' acsegnî...

This is fonetically transcriped Wallon, Wallon is just a regional dialect of French and hence written exactly the same as French.

Also Flemish is not another language, these are the southern dialects of dutch, who are more like the medieval dutch ("lower dutch") This is also in a way similar to 'platduutsch' the dialect spoken in the north of Germany..

Flemish people are generaly not trilingual. They learned their languages at school, and language school in Flanders is as bad as everywhere else : big groups, three hours a week and so on and so on... so yes, in general you can easily trick an ignorant american that we speak four languages or five (and acting like flemish is just an extra language) but most people in flanders who haven't studied on their own only speak dutch and english fluently, have some basis in french and understand German to a certain level (due to the similarity with dutch) but cannot speak it, write it or remember any grammar.

And if you were asking why jobs in Brussel ask for bilingual people, that is because 80% of the population does not know sufficient the other language to have formal conversations.

Sorry if I crushed the myth of multilingual Flanders but I'm mostly just ashamed when I hear people brab that they speak fluently french but say two sentences further that the subjonctive is something that is too difficult to use.

brumblebee
Diglot
United States
Joined 6577 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 19 of 46
04 June 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
My friend said that in Iceland, everyone has to learn English, Danish, and another language (plus Icelandic) to complete basic schooling.

sayariza
Triglot
Groupie
Indonesia
Joined 6565 days ago

42 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Indonesian*, DutchC1
Studies: EnglishC2

Message 20 of 46
05 June 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
For us in Indonesia. many people speak more than three language (or at least thay undestand); his mother language, Indonesian (national language), language where he lives, language spoken by people where he lives.

for example me: my mother language is Minang and Malay
I speak Indonesian,
I live in Jakarta I speak jakartan,
many people live arround my house are Minangs and sundanese so I speak Sundanese too,
most of my friends are Javanese, so I speak javanese too.
To finish high school we should learn English and pass the exam.

The last 20 years there is new development. Many people lost their mother language and Indonesian is being their new mother language.

It is happened with our multiculturism. When there are 725 languages spoken in our country. We need one language where we can speak with it and everyone understands.

Most 725 languages are very different and can not be understood each other.

People are being named Javanese, Sundanese, balinese, etc not from language they speak anymore but from where their mother ofather or grandma or grandpa come from.

To complete highschool in Indonesia we should learn English or Arabic.

corection on my English is always welcome.

Edited by sayariza on 05 June 2006 at 9:24am

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6659 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 21 of 46
06 June 2006 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
On the island of Curaçao, in the Carribean, most everyone there speaks four languages, and beautifully: Papamientu (a Creole language), English, Spanish and Dutch. They can switch from language to language with ease.

walteringi
Netherlands
Joined 6321 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 22 of 46
19 January 2007 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
I grew up on Curaçao, and I can confirm that a lot of people from our island speak the four languages that CaitO'Ceallaigh mentioned.
Papiamentu is the language most people have as their mother-tongue, and which is used in gouvernment, business, and normal conversation. Most local newspapers are in Papiamentu, and most radio programs too.
People watch mostly television from Venezuela, which is the way most of us start learning Spanish very youg by watsching television. A lot of people have cable by which they have access to different english-language channels.
In school we learn dutch, english, and Spanish, and more recently papiamentu has been introduced at school as the instruction language for some grades in grammar school.
Tourism and immigration makes Curacao an island in which people in different professions use Spanish, english, and dutch in their day-to-day business.

NascentOne
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 6691 days ago

19 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English, Norwegian*, Hindi, Punjabi, French
Studies: German

Message 23 of 46
19 January 2007 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
In India nearly everybody will learn at least two languages, like their state language and Hindi. It is also very common to know three languages, for eg. a person in Bangalore knowing Kannada(mother tongue), Hindi(national language of India) and English(associate official language of India).

Most Indians I have met in my life are polyglots. Since different ethnic groups mingle alot on the subcontinent, it is inevitable that people grow up knowing several tongues.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6958 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 24 of 46
03 May 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
As exemplified by Idril and Vlad, southern Slovakia is conducive to a certain amount of "native polyglottery". Many people from this area are of mixed Hungarian-Slovak background and thus can get regular exposure to Slovak and Hungarian at home or through relatives.

In addition, most people there will also get exposure to Czech from the media, while at school, children learn English or other European languages.

I once met a guy from Vojvodina in northern Serbia and this region also is conducive to some "native polyglottery." He told me that the region was part of Hungary for many centuries but had been settled by Serbs, Croats, Rusyns, Slovaks, Albanians, Macedonians, Gypsies and Romanians in addition to Hungarians. Today, the official languages of this region are Serbian, Hungarian, Slovak, Romanian, Croatian and Rusyn.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version