Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4836 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 105
25 December 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Strangers, teammates and other people I sincerely welcome all of you in my log.

I hope this will be interessting to read and that I complete it, but let's not talk about dropping out just yet, because that seems realy pessimistic to do at the start of a log. :)

First let me introduce myself, it's always nice to know about whom your reading , I'm a 17 years old Dutchboy/men, You can call me Robbin or ReQuest, I'm in school (VWO), somewhere in the always exciting eastern part of the Netherlands, feel free to ask anything.

and now the language part:
I'll be focusing on French, German and English (and Italian... read why later...), ( I know now what you guys mean with "Wanderlust" and Dabbling.)

English:

I hope you've noticed so far that I'm not a stranger to English, but I really want to improve it, I want to speak it like a native, I want to be able to read all those great Victiorian novels, and learn all the obscure words that are in them.

I have no clue about my current level, It surely is my best foreign language, I can watch English tv without subs... I guess I could live in a English speaking coutry, my writing is pretty bad though, English spelling is really hard! (is it possible to have dixlexia in just 1 language, but not the others?)

I have English in school, will be reading 3 Victiorian novels this year (just started in Oliver Twist), I have to learn for tests, give presentations, I watch a lot of English Tv, I listen to music a lot, and I have a friend who is Dutch/American/Swedish with whom I sometimes speak English (when I'm drunk xD)(This friend is BTW perfectly trilingual in the 3 languages(jalous...).

German:

To be honest, I don't like German that much, it resembles Dutch a lot, which is nice but also makes it less exciting to learn it. I can watch German tv aswell without subs, a lot of idioms etc really resemble Dutch, and this is where the problem pops up, when I talk on my own, I think "no this can't be German, it's way to Dutch" but than it's actually the German expression, that I had in my head.

Conclusion: Passive understand is high, Actively producing German is difficult.

I have German in school too, need to do a lot off stuf for German too, on my own I try to watch the news in German everyday and so far I've done that (ZDF).

Auf Deutsch: Um erhlich zu sein, mag ich Deutch nicht so, es ähnelt Niederlandisch so viel, das ist schön aber es macht Deutsch lernen auch weniger spannend. Ich kann das Deutsche Fernsehen auch ohne Untertitel sehen, viele Idiomen sind das gleiche, und da wird es schwierig, wenn ich Deutsch spreche dan denke ich immer, "nein, das kann kein Deutsch sein, das ist viel zu Niederlandisch", aber dann ist es eigentlich die Deutsche Ausdruck.

Schluss: meine passive Verständniss ist groß, mein active nicht.

Ich lerne Deutsch in der Schule, Ich muss da viel für tun, auf meine eigenen Initiative sehe ich die Deutsche Nachrichten jeden tag an.

French:

I really love French, after Italian it's the most beautiful language in the world, (how cliché..). Overall my skills are pretty well developed, the grammar and all the tenses are really getting to me now, and to be a bit arrogant here, I think I have one of the best accents in my French class and when we talk about verbs the teachers always picks me 'cus, that way she is sure she gets the right awnser (not always though). (Others actually pointed this out to my, don't think of my as arrogant or anything, because I'm not)

I've started Assimil using French and I also have l'italien sans peine (getting there...)

En français: Je vraiment aime le français, après l'italien c'est la plus belle langue du monde (c'est une cliché, je sais...). En général mes compétences sont assez bien développés, Je suis enfin à s'habituer à la grammaire et toutes les tenses est pour être un peu arrogant, je pense que j'ai l'un des meilleurs accents dans ma classe française et quand nous parlons des verbes la professeur toujours demande moi, pour donner le verb conjugaison.

(had to look up a lot there, it's easier to write something in French, translating from English to French is hard).

We actually have a girl from belgium here, who is a French native, she is here to learn Dutch and she's a really nice girl, on a party she said my French sounded quite good, only my j/ge weren't good, apperently, she didn't understoud my "sujet" right away. (when I used that word). Sadly she will be leaving after new year so thats the last time I'll see here.

Italian and others:

Ok I know I've never mentioned this before but I started Italian too, this summer I'll be going to Italy with 2 friends and I though it would be handy if one of us could speak Italian (or at least a little), so I started l'italien sans peine, and I'm glad to have started con la bella lingua, it seems to be more difficult than French all those contractions, alla, nelle etc, the verbs are probabbly just as difficult as in French but it's all new and different so, it's hard (but verbs are really important, in any language) and then all those articles! I'm also glad that I'm able to understand l'italien sans peine, sans peine, the French is not hard at all, and I also learn some French vocab on the way.
(I won't focus on Italian that much though.)

ok the and others: Don't be suprised if I sometimes dabble in Spanish, I love romances languages and Japanese, I love the characters (kanji), the culture and anime. Nothing serious though!

Voglio parlare l'italiano, credo che l'italiano è bello, in estate vado a Italia, a Rimini.

It just looks so nice, it sounds nice... can't help it.

Owhh and 1 more thing if someone needs help with Dutch I'm glad to help you, though I'm not the biggest star in (Dutch) grammar and as it is my native language so, it's hard to explain stuff.

EDIT: found some errors and stuff, AKA Final Version.

Corrections are always welcome, anywhere in the log!

Edited by ReQuest on 28 December 2011 at 10:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4836 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 2 of 105
25 December 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
This week I have vacation so I can do alot of studying this week,

I'll be reading:
Oliver Twist(English), and Das Parfum(German) this week, watching tv in German, French and English, and doing Assimil, I'll also be giving shadowing the assimil audio a chance.

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4672 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 105
26 December 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your languages studies.

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4836 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 4 of 105
26 December 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Started with Oliver Twist today, damm, it took me 2 and a half hours to read just the first 4 chapters... I did found a audiobook though and listened to it while reading to forth chapter simultaneously but I have to look up so many words!

Words like:
interposed
chafed
cuffed
magnanimous
rampacious
inquest
scalded
impertinences
atrociously
bestowed
mollified
cane
vindicated
complacentry
gratifying
countenance
benevolent
bludgeons
flog
pityously
Etc.........

The audio does help though, will do the rest of the book that way, it takes less time that way.

Edited by ReQuest on 28 December 2011 at 10:45pm

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5497 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 5 of 105
26 December 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to following your blog, ReQuest! Go Team Freutsch :)

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4836 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 6 of 105
28 December 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Hier, j'ai fait le "shadowing" d'Assimil.
Maintenant j'ai quelques questions au sujet de la prononciacion du français.

Ils se mis à bavarder, dit-on:
Il se mia bavarder
Ou;
Il se miza bavarder

Et, la prononciacion de "ai"
Il y a une regle comment on dois la prononcer?
Parce que on dit mais comme mè,
Laissez comme léssez,
Et faissons comme fuhsons/feussons (Dutch eu sound...) fehhsons (C'est difficille pour une audiance mulitlinguel)

Je veux faire aussi une enregistrement de moi qui lu assimil en haut-voix

Btw: Oliver Twist episode 19, yesterday was a crazy lazy reading day , 15 chapters on 1 day!

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5468 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 7 of 105
28 December 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to reading your log. I read "Das Parfum" 2 years ago -- comes highly recommended, but it's a very odd book -- will be interesting to see what you think :) Good luck! Viel Glück! (auch wenn deutsch Dir nicht so viel gefällt ;) ).

Edited by jae on 28 December 2011 at 5:35pm

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4836 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 8 of 105
29 December 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Thought of a better way to use anki, have to re-organize all the decks... Will take a lot of time, but the rewards will be fruitfull.

This discussion contains 105 messages over 14 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version