leisaowns
United States
Joined 4661 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese

Message 9 of 13
15 January 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Yikes, I completely forgot about my log for these past few weeks.
But I have been studying as much as my time permits! I've determined that I have plenty of study time during my very slow and boring Spanish class at school, and possibly in the middle of the week after school.
I've made it through 6 lessons in my Nihongo So-Matome grammar book, and feel more or less comfortable recognizing the grammar points addressed. But this week I'm going to go through the lessons again to try to commit them to memory so I can utilize the information. I've also been watching videos on basic algebra in Japanese, and find them quite interesting. I also tried multiple times this week to make a video in Japanese to put on youtube to practice my speaking, but I have such long pauses between sentences because I don't know what to say. I don't want to write up a script because that would defeat the purpose of speaking and thinking in real time, but I may resort to that at first just until I get used to it. I'm not sure yet, though...
In Arabic, I'm slowly progressing. I've been introduced to the broken plurals, and I must say, I'm not liking them so far. But I'll get used to them the more I use and see them, so I think I'll be alright in the long run.

Goals for this week:
Go through the first 6 lessons of my Japanese grammar book again
Read through two stories in Reading Japanese with a Smile
Learn 5 new words of Arabic each day
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6446 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 10 of 13
15 January 2012 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Rather than writing a script, you could choose a topic and think a bit about what you want to say. Maybe even make a card with a list of keywords to remind you what you want to cover. I did the same thing in Norwegian the very first time I tried speaking. (on a cassette tape for myself, not on Youtube) I just decided what I wanted to talk about, but I didn't write anything down.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 15 January 2012 at 7:30pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5911 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 11 of 13
15 January 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I have REading Japanese With a Smile too. The kanji/sentence structure is challenging, but the cultural notes are really good!

leisaowns
United States
Joined 4661 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese

Message 12 of 13
15 January 2012 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Rather than writing a script, you could choose a topic and think a bit about what you want to say. Maybe even make a card with a list of keywords to remind you what you want to cover. I did the same thing in Norwegian the very fist time I tried speaking. (on a cassette tape for myself, not on Youtube) I just decided what I wanted to talk about, but I didn't write anything down.

Ohh, I like that idea. I'll try it out! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
I have REading Japanese With a Smile too. The kanji/sentence structure is challenging, but the cultural notes are really good!

Definitely. I really like it so far, especially the wide variety of vocabulary.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5808 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 13 of 13
15 January 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I would say that writing a script and reading from it will probably not help you to speak more fluently. In fact I find that writing doesn't really help my speaking at all. If I want to work from a set text I find it far better practice to shadow or listen and repeat some kind of recorded audio passage. Brun Ugle's suggestions also sound good.

Actually, I think you're pretty brave even attempting a YouTube video. It took me a long time to get the courage to unleash my spoken Japanese on anybody, and even now I only have one-to-one conversations. I'm still not prepared to unleash it on the whole internet! But if you are making videos/recordings I bet it will be a great record for you to look back on as you improve.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version