13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 13
19 February 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Awwww! :)
That's pretty good! Note that Berlin has a Finnish name - Berliini :) Also, some of your o's sound like u's - I'd assume you have a Swedish/Scandinavian accent if I didn't know.
(And btw that would be Duisburgista - most case endings aren't directly added to words ending in consonants. Won't bother you with more grammar corrections - this will probably be in the coming lessons anyway).
For some reason your t's sound "too dental" to me. I wonder if it's easier for you to pronounce them the Romance way as unaspirated? Also, pay attention to r+consonants, ss, tt.

Have you done any shadowing?

And what, you didn't say "puhun esperantoa"? :)))
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 13
23 February 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice, Serpent. I'm working on these issues.

Here's a text I just wrote in Finnish and it's probably full of mistakes:

Quote:
En tiedä mikä tapahtuu. Aion herätä aamulla aikaisin. Useimmiten sen saavuttan.
Poika-ystäväni herättää minua kun menee työhön aamulla. Nousen, syön ja istuudun
tietokoneella. Luen sähköpostia. Myöhemmin en tiedä mikä tehdää, äkkiä kello on jo
kolmetoista ja en ole saavuttanut mitään työssä, en ole kerrannut mitään oppitunnin, en
ole vastannut jopakään sähköpostia. Tiedättekö te tämä ongelmaa?

I'd appreciate if someone could correct this.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 23 February 2012 at 6:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 11 of 13
19 December 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
So what happened?

The Accelerated Finnish Challenge in February was a success. The results of the written
exam can be found on page 5 of the following thread and those of the oral exam on page
7:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30352

Following this challenge, I gave up Finnish and re-dedicated myself to Mandarin, also
practising my Dutch while creating a series of podcasts for DutchPod101. I averaged a
little over 1 hour of language study per day in March/April. This successful period
came to an end when I had to take a sudden trip to the USA because of a family
emergency.

Back in Germany, I started to work full-time as a computational linguist for Wooga,
which also cut into my language-learning time, especially as it was a mentally-draining
job. In the 5 months I worked for Wooga, I only did 100 hours of language-study total,
and only 4 hours towards my May 6 Week Challenge language Indonesian (also because I
couldn't do the method I originally wanted to pursue with Indonesian).

I stopped working for Wooga in time for the August 6 Week Challenge, which I completed
with Japanese - stats at
http://6wc.learnlangs.
com/stats/earlier_user/Junesun/201208
. I had a really
important 4-hour written French exam at the end of August, so I'm quite proud I still
managed to put in almost 50 hours of Japanese in that time, and I did it with a new
approach: focussing exclusively on listening comprehension, using Subs2Srs and Anki. It
proved successful: after this time, I was able to understand new episodes of Hikaru no
Go (a Japanese anime) without subtitles. Find the blog post about this method at

http://temp.learnlangs.com/step-by-step/understand_TV_in_30_ days
, which
also includes a progression report at the bottom.

Following the 6 Week Challenge, Japanese has continued to play a big role in my
studies, along with more Mandarin, which I also chose for my Super Challenge language.
When I study Japanese now, I focus on conversational ability, because I am happy with
my listening comprehension for now. Since October I've been meeting a Japanese tutor
two-three times a week for 40 minutes each.

I've also had to focus more on French for a bit again, because I had an oral exam on
French youth language and French in Quebec on November 20th.

In mid-November I took part in the italki challenge (8 hours of tutoring before the end
of the month) and temporarily had a lot of tutor lessons, which has had the good effect
of re-activating my Greek.

At the beginning of October I had had a shock: I was looking at my spreadsheet and saw
that I had only put in 359 hours of language study until then. Previous year's 712
hours total seemed unattainable then, so I
settled on a new goal
of 600 hours, averaging to 3 hours / day until the end of the year, a number that I had
previously been unable to hit. I must have gotten better because I actually managed to
hit an average of 3 hours / day (peaking at 5 hours on Oct 19th alone) for two months.
Then Christmas stress and the preparation for the JES (I'm an organizer) set in and I'm
currently behind on hours and I doubt that the Christmas days themselves or the JES
will lend themselves to above-average study hours, since I'm not counting hours spent
on Esperanto.

I shall post the final number at the end of the year as usual. Meanwhile I'm already
thinking about my battle plan for the next year. I recently found some interesting
Greek books, and I still got a lot of Mandarin to read for the Super Challenge...

More updates and observations on my blog: http://temp.learnlangs.com/blog/1

Edited by Sprachprofi on 19 December 2012 at 1:42pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 12 of 13
20 December 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I decided to sign up for the January Tadoku challenge with Greek. I'm dying to read the
Greek books I found during my latest trip to Café Tasso:

Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια - Αντώνης Καλογήρου (273 p.)

Θέλει και λίγη τύχη η ζωή - Γιάννης Xατζητράκοσας (271 p.)

There's also a book I bought a while ago, in case those aren't enough:

Τα ταξίδια του Σώκρατη - Dan Millman (387 p.)

Considering I'm in the Super Challenge with Chinese, I probably should be reading
Chinese instead, but my reading speed feels so limiting, especially when compared with
other Tadoku readers. I really don't know how some participants manage to read Japanese
so fast... anyway, the first Tadoku will focus on Greek (maybe a little Chinese reading
on the side) and for the next ones we'll see.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 13 of 13
14 January 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I have started a new log for TAC 2013:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34973&PN=1

Also, here are my final stats for 2012, with the numbers for 2011 in parenthesis:

122 hours of French (111)
177 hours of Chinese (220)
44 hours of Modern Greek (47)
12 hours of Swahili (26)
16 hours of Italian (31)
30 hours of Dutch (118)
35 hours of Finnish (0)
115 hours of Japanese (0)
4 hours of Indonesian (0)
10 hours on other languages (9)
--
569 hours total (712)

My most important goal for 2013 is to get back to 2011 levels of study time...

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version