Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5775 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, French, English, Russian, German
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 1 of 8
26 December 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
I've been doing character transcription as an exercise. Never really finished, but figure it might be useful for somebody, so I posted it here: http://www.geo168.com/lang/zh/mandarin/fsi/index.php

Please let me know of any problems. Pinyin text is mostly produced automatically from the character text; I've corrected some, but it still should contain some incorrect pronuncation.

Also modules Transportation, Meetings, and Society have no target/reference lists. I hope to add them soon... now when the rest is up :-) Travel is not really proofread so be patient - I wanted to post something... then maybe get around for finetuning.

There might also be a confusion between target and reference lists. Why they have two - I guess it has not been clear for FSI as well - as the last modules have only reference lists.

The last part - module 9 - I hope I will eventually have time to do it as well. There is no textbook for it - hence it is a bit more complex task. And lately I've been mostly working with another material.
3 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 8
26 December 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
That is incredible!

Thank you so much for doing this. At some point I will try to make an Anki deck with this information. I have done
Module 2 on my own, but this will make it so much easier!

Great stuff!
1 person has voted this message useful

Normunds
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5775 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 

Message 3 of 8
26 December 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I have mnemosyne cards based on this. Maybe it's not hard to export them in some format Anki can import. But they are not very consistent - for some modules I have entered whole target list sentences as well, for some only vocabulary. For some also English-Mandarin card, for some only the direct one.

BTW there is an interesting site http://www.hanlexon.com that allows to generate writing exercise pages - you just provide a hanzi list and get back the writing practice PDF.
2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5119 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
26 December 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I think I saw quite some errors, but I'm not sure what FSI-Mandarin is like, whether it gave you the Chinese and you just wrote the pinyin (where then the Chinese must be correct), or whether you wrote all that by yourself (where then errors are possible), etc.

Anyway, these are my doubts - maybe they're not wrong, I don't know.

Orientation, unit 1

马明李
"mǎ mínglǐ" is more likely 马明理 than 马明李.

他(她)是谁?他是马明李。他是马先生。
you can simply write 他是谁?他是马明李。他是马先生。

Traveling in China, unit 2

你们政府认为目前大-,中-,小 情况怎么样� �� �� ��
we write that as 你们政府认为目前大、中、小学情况怎么样?
No need the hyphen as in English, and you use "、" in lists, not commas.

中国政府有计划的提高一部分大学的水平。
adverb, 有计划地

是。基本上每三十个学生有一位教师,连最普 通的学校也有电视,图书馆,什么的。
也有电视、图书馆什么的。

Traveling in China, unit 5

这个矿区金属工业是什么时候开始有得?
八十年代。机械工业也是八十年代才有得。
both should be 有的。

Traveling in China, unit 8

价钱都还不错,外国上人很少有空手回去得。
businessman 外国商人
回去的。

I wasn't reading in order. I think I saw a lot of mix-up between 的 and 得。 I think I saw one error in every 4 or 5 sentences, so maybe you could just scan them first and that should catch a lot of errors already.

Edited by smallwhite on 26 December 2011 at 10:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Normunds
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5775 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 

Message 5 of 8
27 December 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
I think I saw quite some errors, but I'm not sure what FSI-Mandarin
is like, whether it gave you the Chinese and you just wrote the pinyin (where then the
Chinese must be correct), or whether you wrote all that by yourself (where then errors
are possible), etc.

Many thanks for the feedback. Will correct the errors you point out. But the Travel
part is the one I did not carefully re-read - I switched to other materials at that
time - so must have some errors left :-/

FSI has only pinyin, so I tried to transpose it in hanji. Hence problems like 的, 得
and 地. As well as the correct use of punctuation - initially I did not pay any
attention to it at all - it was my private hanji exercise :-) I think by now I've
improved my Mandarin a little, so when going back I'll probably catch some errors as
well. But anybody is welcome to help.

Then pinyin for the target lists is not typed in from the book, but again converted
automatically by DimSum from character text. Even if I corrected the most evident
problems with the pinyin, there might still be a lot more. Maybe I need to try OCR the
original FSI books so I do not need to proofread all the pinyin. But OCRing means
proofreading as well. No way to escape extra work to get it right :-)

BTW if some native speakers are reading this - there were two name references that took
me a while and that I could not get right in the end:

• Orientation, Unit one - I've used the "normal" transcription for Daniel - 丹
    尼尔 (wáng dānníěr) while in the text it is "Wáng Dànián" (with English version
    =Daniel) - I could not manage to find the correct spelling.

• Prof Hollins from "Arranging a Meeting, unit 4". In pinyin he is simply referred to
    as "Hé Jiàoshòu"

Edited by Normunds on 27 December 2011 at 2:50pm

daristani
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 6 of 8
06 January 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Never having studied Chinese, I may be way off base in this, but I thought that the FSI Chinese course was developed jointly with DLI, and that the FSI and DLI versions of the course were essentially the same course. The DLI course available at
http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/Chinese%20Mandarin/Basic%20Course%20Books/
seems to be mostly in Pinyin, but also includes character dialogues and the like, and so seems to make more of an effort to teach characters than the FSI version. Whether or not the two versions of the course are identical I don't know, but it might be useful for Chinese learners working with the FSI course to take a look at the DLI version to compare and see whether or not it might offer any advantages in terms of the characters.

Normunds
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5775 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 

Message 7 of 8
07 January 2012 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks for this link - I think there have been discussions around DLI here already, but it's always nice to have an extra link. And if someone looks for the audio of the course you point to - it's one level up, under directory Basic Course Audio.

FSI and DLI course are not the same. The closest is the first module that is based on the same "target sentences" (FSI) or "frames" (DLI). After that the materials diverge beyond any recognition.

daristani
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 8 of 8
07 January 2012 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks much for clarifying this question, Normunds. I'm sorry for my erroneous suggestion, but thanks to your comment, it seems clear that there are two separate, very extensive, and entirely free Mandarin courses available to learners who like this approach.

For those interested, all the "older generation" DLI Mandarin materials that have been made publicly available can be found here:    http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/Chinese%20Mandarin/

Edited by daristani on 07 January 2012 at 4:25pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version