Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 17 of 38
10 February 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Whoops, I should have known that. Thanks for the tip!
1 person has voted this message useful

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 

Message 18 of 38
13 March 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Well, I significantly underestimated how busy I'd be this year. But, over my vacation last week, I started a new schedule of doing 2 Pimsleur Portuguese lessons per day. Now that I'm back from vacation, I'm aiming for 1 a day. I also continued studying Unit 6 vocab for Mandarin. Hopefully I'll have some more time now to focus on my language studies!

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 

Message 19 of 38
19 March 2012 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I completed Pimsleur lesson 24 for Portuguese today (I started at around 10 since I already knew a bit). Onward and upward! I hope to keep up this routine since it doesn't take too much time -- even though I'm fairly busy, 30 minutes is really not very long. I'm going to attempt to work more Mandarin into my schedule -- this is more difficult since it takes longer stretches of time all at once for me to really absorb new material. Also, in case anyone is reading this -- does anyone know of a good Portuguese grammar book? I've seen many of them out there, but I'm not sure which would be the most useful. Any ideas? I'll probably get around to posting in another forum eventually, but for now I thought I'd mention it here since I'm already updating my log. Boa noite!
2 persons have voted this message useful

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 

Message 20 of 38
09 April 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
This past weekend, I've reviewed all 951 (!!) Portuguese vocab words that I've studied so far. Now I'm going to move on to new sections of vocab/conversation learning (I'm combining studying vocab with Pimsleur to practice speaking).

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 

Message 21 of 38
26 May 2012 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Done with my exams! Now I'll actually have a summer full of free time to study languages. At this point, I've
also decided to focus primarily on Portuguese for the rest of TAC, just because trying to study two languages
so intensely wasn't really working, and I'm considering studying Mandarin in a classroom setting in the next
few years, which I think will be more useful for me personally.

But back to my progress. I've decided to use the FSI materials for Portuguese instead of the textbook I
originally planned to use because I prefer the layout of the FSI lessons. As of today, I've completed unit 1. I'm
also continuing to study vocab.

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 

Message 22 of 38
29 May 2012 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Today I finished unit 2 of the FSI course. I'm hoping to continue studying 1 unit every 2 days and then also
don't some supplemental materials alongside that.

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 

Message 23 of 38
29 June 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Back from vacation, so back to Portuguese. In the past two days, I've covered the vocab sets "Verbs/Os Verbos - Regular", "Animals/Os Animais", "Work/O Trabalho", and "Geography/A Geografia". I'll be done with my vocab by July 1 (so very different from my original goal of February 1!). My plan then is to continue with FSI and Pimsleur as I have been (except for the 2 week vacation break). I'm planning to cover 1 Pimsleur lesson a day (2 would be better, but I tend to get bored with Pimsleur). Then, at the same time, I'll also cover 1 lesson of FSI every 1-2 days. At the moment, I'm working on Unit 3, but I'm trying to focus on finishing my basic vocab by July 1.

Edit: I also completed Pimsleur lessons 25 and 26 today.

Edited by jae on 29 June 2012 at 11:54pm

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5464 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 

Message 24 of 38
30 June 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Time to celebrate! -- I've made it through all my vocab, and it's not even July 1 yet! Today I finished studying "Adverbs and Prepositions/Os Advérbios e as Preposições", "Adjectives/Os Adjetivos", and "Verbs/Os Verbos - Irregular Conjugations or Spelling Changes". Total vocab studied (via this method, excluding other words I know): 1528. Now, I naturally have trouble remembering some of the more obscure words I learned earlier (especially food and some clothing items)...but for the most part I feel like I've covered a lot. Now I plan to eventually get around to inputting all this vocab into Anki (I've always used Quizlet, but Anki seems good for long-term vocab review). I'm right on track to continue! As I mentioned in a thread where I asked about FSI, I'm planning to continue with the FSI course I'm using right now ("Spoken Brazilian Portuguese: Basic Course, Units 1-18"), and then once I've finished that, I'm going to work on the more intermediate to advanced units in DLI's Portuguese course. In other news, I found a good blog today (http://erikspen.wordpress.com/). It's written by an American learning Portuguese and it lists out resources and tips (very helpful ones too). I would definitely recommend checking it out if you are studying (Brazilian) Portuguese. I also felt encouraged in my studies today after I successfully stumbled my way through a blog entry (different website) about "The Big Bang Theory." I thereafter also managed to describe the blog and article in Portuguese in a few basic sentences (in a conversation), which was nice too. Good end to the month! Hello July!

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version