Message 17 of 29
01 February 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
January 2012: Review

Total time studied in January: 32hrs 19mins

By language;
German: 15hrs 41mins
Mandarin: 15hrs 51mins
Swahili: 0hrs 47mins

I learnt a lot about myself this month. Some of it, like the fact that I procrastinate
far too much, I already knew. I'm trying to find ways to work on this still; the main
thing I need to do is sit down and start something - then I get hooked on it and work
more than I thought I would at first.

I ended up ditching my spreadsheet and goals about halfway through the month, too and
am pretty much using Ellasevia's, which I downloaded from the link on his TAC 2011 log
(I think?). It's much better - it doesn't have the rigid rules I was imposing on
myself; plus I love all the graphs at the top because they give me a much better handle
on which languages I'm devoting more time to, so that I can focus on the others.

So, after a shaky start, I've got my February goals to think about and they are,
more or less, as follows:

• I want to surpass the number of hours I spent on German/Mandarin in January
    (i.e., 16 hours or more for each language)

• I want to finish reading Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen - I'm only
    six chapters from the end!

• I'm studying Swahili for the 6WC and want to do about 44 hours this month (just
    over an hour and a half a day)

I don't want to specify my goals any further than that, because I'm afraid I won't
achieve them ;]. An absolute bonus would be if I logged time for each language (or even
just Swahili) every day this month; but if I don't, I'm not going to beat myself up
over it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4867 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 18 of 29
01 February 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
6WC: February 2012
Kiswahili

(01.02.2012 - 14.03.2012)

Introduction & Background
I was considering starting another log for the 6WC, but I thought I might as well use
this one more often than once a week! :D So until the 14th March (I think? If I'm
wrong, just let me know!), I'll be taking part in the six week challenge to try and
learn some more Swahili.

Though I began studying the language in May 2011, my attempts have been sporadic at
best, so I'm hoping that with a target of 44 hours (approximately an hour and a
half a day), I'll make more progress than I have been doing.

I have already...
I've already done seven lessons of Assimil's Le Swahili sans Peine, but I was
accompanying it with anki to learn vocab because I understand very little French and
was finding it hard to remember words.

I will...
I'm going to carry on using Assimil - beginning with a review of the seven
lessons I've already done and then going from there. Again, I'll use anki as an
accompaniment to this.

Also, I've started using the FSI Swahili Basic Course and have already completed
the first seven units. This is partly because I wanted a resource in a language I could
understand and partly because I want to see how good the FSI courses are - although
I've looked at many of them, I've never used any.

I think that's everything. :] To everyone else doing the 6WC, bahati njema! I hope you
do well! :D

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4867 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 

Message 19 of 29
16 March 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Soooo... I have not been especially good at keeping up with updates now, have I?

Still: a few things have changed in the last six weeks. The 6WC has, naturally, come
and gone - and through it all, I only logged just under seven hours of Swahili study,
which was not what I was expecting at all.

I found that though my enthusiasm for Mandarin is still very high, I can't always drum
up enough excitement for Swahili and I think there are two main reasons for this:

1. Swahili is the first language I have tried to entirely teach myself. That is, I've
not had a chance to study it in any classroom or under any instructor. Though I add to
my studies myself in my two other languages, studying something entirely on my own is
daunting, and it's easy to skip studying in favour of doing other things. Plus, Swahili
is totally unlike the other languages I study, which does add more complications right
now.

2. I'm going to Germany in October and China next February, but I see no chance of
going to East Africa/coming across Swahili speakers in the near future. Of course, I
know a lot of people have the same problem and overcome it, but I like the idea that I
can try out my language skills in a natural setting at some point and for Swahili, this
seems less likely.

What I've decided from this is that, for now, I'm going to put Swahili on the back
burner. I have every intention of coming back to it in time, but it'll probably be a
few years yet.

So, that's that. However, I am planning on picking up another language, partly as a
replacement, partly because of a careers day that took place at my university a couple
of weeks ago. The language I'm thinking of is Portuguese, in particular the
Portuguese spoken in Portugal, since I only live in England. I'm going to try it out
over the next few weeks or so and see how it goes; hopefully it'll be fun :D

I am wondering as well, what the main differences are between Brazilian Portuguese and
the Portuguese spoken in Portugal? :/

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4867 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 

Message 20 of 29
11 April 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, my Easter break is over and I'm now moving into the final stages of my second year
at University. My exams are the beginning of May, so I'm beginning revision sessions
tomorrow with some friends for Mandarin; for German I'm just trying to read as much as
I possibly can (Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen, I WILL FINISH YOU!).

I started the Michel Thomas course for Portuguese today, as well. I only spent about
half an hour on it, but I got through the first five tracks of the first CD and I'm
enjoying it. It's not high-effort and it's very logical - two things I like, especially
right now. My problem is with pronunciation (those nasal sounds are difficult!) and the
fact that I am a very visual person; I keep having to refer to the booklet or I forget
what they've said because I've not heard it properly. (An example would be: a
senhora
- I didn't know that was an a until I read the booklet and just kept
making a vague vowel sound before that ^//^.)

The next four to five weeks are going to be a flurry of exams and due assignments, but
I'm going to also spend the time looking into ways to keep up and seriously improve my
languages over the summer, before I go away.

How's everyone else doing? :]

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4867 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 

Message 21 of 29
01 May 2012 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Argh, quick fly-by update just before May begins.

First of all: I joined the Super Challenge. I've set up a new blog for it (see the link
under my username), mainly because I'm rubbish at updating here; but also, that
challenge is going to run for 20 months but I think I'll start another TAC log next
year. So, there's that. I'm doing a full challenge (100 books and 100 movies) for
Mandarin and a half challenge (50 books and 50 movies) for German. Should be fun!

Secondly: The 6WC. I registered for that a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to be
studying Portuguese! Yayy! I've got the Michel Thomas Foundation Course and I'm
going to attempt to work through the Teach Yourself Instant Portuguese book as it tells
me to, because it's supposed to take exactly six weeks.

I'm kind of worried about the first two weeks of the challenge, but I finish University
on the 16th, so then I've got four weeks with nothing to do but learn! ;D It's going to
be great and I'm all excited!

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4703 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 22 of 29
02 May 2012 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Hey Luna!

Good luck on both the Super challenge and the 6WC! It's awesome that you're doing the
super challenge for both Mandarin and German and pushing your self to read 100 books in
Mandarin!

Also, Good Luck on your final exams, I hope you ace them all!

~Silver

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4867 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 

Message 23 of 29
03 May 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Silver :D I've started the challenge with films right now because books look hard
;_; but there's a Mandarin translation of Alice in Wonderland on nciku.com that has
pinyin and definitions and whatnot, so I'll probably start reading that after my exams.

And thank you again! Speaking exam tomorrow, I hope I don't embarrass myself too much! ;)

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4703 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 24 of 29
03 May 2012 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
There are these really good graded readers called Chinese Breeze, and from what I have
heard they are fantastic! http://www.cheng-tsui.com/store/products/chinese_breeze.
Perhaps even check your local library for children's books in simplified chinese. Some of
them have pinyin written above each character!

I'm positive you will ace your speaking exam! Sending you good vibes!! Good Luck!

~Silver

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version