Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 1 of 119
28 December 2011 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
It is almost 2012, and I am very excited about participating in the TAC for the first time ever! Where I live
there aren't very many language fanatics (if there are any at all besides me, since I have yet to meet any
others), so I am thrilled to have so many language-crazy teammates.

My main languages for 2012 (or at least the first six months) will be Polish, Spanish, and Latin. And - exciting
news - as of today, I am also studying Welsh! Yay! :) At the beginning of December I decided to try to learn
as much Welsh as I could over the holidays, and now I am fascinated by the language (the mutations are just
so neat!) and can't bear to stop learning it. So I am making it official and adding it to my list of languages. It
isn't quite such a high priority as my other languages, but much of my spare time will certainly be spent on
Welsh.

Tomorrow I will post more detailed information about my languages and goals for 2012.

Edited by Amerykanka on 14 December 2012 at 3:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 2 of 119
29 December 2011 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Polish is my favorite language and the one I have been studying the longest (almost five years). It is
also the language I am most competent in besides English. I can read very well and my listening
comprehension is good, although it needs some improvement. I am comfortable with most aspects of Polish
grammar and consequently can write pretty well; plenty of errors still manage to creep in, though. As for
speaking - it is definitely my weakest skill. My pronunciation is good, but I still have trouble when called upon
to speak more than a few sentences in a row.

In 2012, I will mostly be focusing on reading and writing and (to a lesser extent) listening. I don't get that
many opportunities to speak Polish, so even though my oral communication skills are in dire need of
improvement, I am going to concentrate on expanding my vocabulary and broadening my knowledge of
Polish grammar. So in 2012 I want to finish reading Pan Tadeusz (I am on page 100 or so right now) as
well as read three more books - probably Kamienie na szaniec, Stara baśń, and Krzyżacy. I also
plan on reading newspaper articles and listening to whatever Polish materials I can find on the Internet.

Spanish is my second strongest language. I can have a conversation, as I proved to myself this
Christmas Eve when I had a very long talk with my Puerto Rican aunt about everything from my trip to
Nicaragua to different dialects of English, and I know approximarely 3,000 words. So basically, I know a lot
about Spanish, but nowhere near enough. This year I want to learn thousands of new words and read my first
books in Spanish. I also want to improve my speaking skills, since I am going to Nicaragua this summer. I
really need to get rid of my Polish accent - it was almost gone for a while, but now it has crept back again.

Latin is a very important language for me due to religious reasons, and I have been studying it since I
was eight (with varying degrees of intensity). Right now I am about one third of the way through Wheelock's
Latin. I do one lesson a week and hope at this rate to be done by August at the latest. I have no idea what I
will do once I have finished Wheelock's.

Welsh is my newest language. I just started studying it two days ago, so I can cheerfully say that I am
awful. I can make very general observations about the weather and I can count to ten. I have an extremely
basic knowledge of the grammar. In 2012 I plan on using the wonderful materials on BBC's website, as well
as any others I happen to come across.

Now I am really tired so I am going to go and do something relaxing like finding new Spanish vocabulary
words.

Edited by Amerykanka on 29 December 2011 at 1:05am

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4921 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 3 of 119
29 December 2011 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Helô to my fellow student of Cymraeg. I strongly reccomend you to visit
saysomethinginwelsh forum and try their
language course for beginners, their method works for me. I am also fascinated by
Welsh, it seems very logical to me and I love how it sounds (especially 'ɬ' and 'χ').

As to my native language, I've to tell you that all the books you have chosen to read
were (and probably still are) among obligatory books I had to read for my Polish
lessons.
"Stara Baśń" and Krzyżacy in primary school, "Kamienie na Szaniec" (6th grade of
primary school or 1st grade of gimnasium) and "Pan Tadeusz" in lyceum. All of them
relate to history and pretty enjoyable, good choice. Though, you have to keep in mind
that they contain a fair amount of oldish words, terms that are long out of use. I
suggest you to add a more contemporary novel to that list, maybe something light-
hearted (for a change :P). You inspired me to reread "Pan Tadeusz", I forgot how much I
liked this novel/poem.

Cieszę się, że mamy dwa wspólne języki, o których będziemy mogły pisać. Będę czytała
Twój log.

Powodzenia!/Pob lwc!

Edited by Gosiak on 29 December 2011 at 3:33am

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 4 of 119
30 December 2011 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
"Pan Tadeusz" is absolutely wonderful; the only other Polish book which I have read that compares with it in
my mind is "Quo vadis", which I really enjoyed. I see your point about reading some contemporary novels - I
read "Spotkanie nad morze" and "Ten obcy", which are of course more modern and have much easier
vocabulary, and I was thinking about reading "Ta inna". Do you have any suggestions for contemporary
novels?

Dziękuję bardzo za link! Strona internetowa wydaje mi się bardzo użyteczna - na pewno będę korzystała
dużo z niej. Jak długo uczysz się walijskiego? Jest Ci bardzo trudno czy nie? Na razie nie mam żadnych
problemów, ale oczywiście ledwie zaczynam.

PS - proszę daj mi znać, jeśli popełniam jakieś błędy.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 119
30 December 2011 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Hello, teammate! Welcome to 2012, and all the wonderful things it has in store for us! I am really looking forward to watching your progress over the next year. :)

No hablo nada de polaco, pero comprendo un poco de español. Buena suerte con tus estudios en el año que viene!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 6 of 119
30 December 2011 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Hello, teammate! Welcome to 2012, and all the wonderful things it has in store for us! I am
really looking forward to watching your progress over the next year. :)

No hablo nada de polaco, pero comprendo un poco de español. Buena suerte con tus estudios en el año que
viene!

¡Hola! Muchas gracias por tu apoyo. :) He estado leyendo tu log - ¡tienes una lista muy impresionante de
idiomas! ¡Buena suerte en 2012!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5361 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 7 of 119
02 January 2012 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Hola Amerykanka, ¡buena suerte con tus idiomas en 2012! Tengo muchas ganas de seguir tu log y ver el progreso
que sin duda vas a hacer. Estoy muy feliz que estamos en el mismo equipo este año y tengo un enlace para ti que
tal vez te resulta útil. Si quieres encontrar libros de audio en el polaco te recomiendo que visites el enlace de
debajo. Hay un montón de libros de audio y algunos de ellos tienen también el libro en formato pdf. Todos los que
ya has mencionado están en este sitio web.

Polish Audio Books

¡Que tengas un gran año con tus lenguas y que todo te vaya fenomenal este nuevo año!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 8 of 119
02 January 2012 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
Hola Amerykanka, ¡buena suerte con tus idiomas en 2012! Tengo muchas ganas de seguir tu
log y ver el progreso
que sin duda vas a hacer. Estoy muy feliz que estamos en el mismo equipo este año y tengo un enlace para
ti que
tal vez te resulta útil. Si quieres encontrar libros de audio en el polaco te recomiendo que visites el enlace de
debajo. Hay un montón de libros de audio y algunos de ellos tienen también el libro en formato pdf. Todos
los que
ya has mencionado están en este sitio web.

Polish Audio Books

¡Que tengas un gran año con tus lenguas y que todo te vaya fenomenal este nuevo año!

¡Hola, Vos! Muchas gracias por el enlace. Actualmente estoy tratando de mejorar mi comprensión auditiva,
así que estoy segura que este sitio me va a ser muy útil. Me alegro de que estemos en el mismo equipo -
espero que podamos ayudarnos mucho este año. ¡Buena suerte con tus estudios!

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version