Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6049 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 56
25 January 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Not a bad start. Alice in Japanese, that must be marvellous ... I believe I have the
audio in Russian, French, English, German, Italian, maybe Spanish as well, and it's
always nice to return to her. The trouble is there are so many different translations
that it's sometimes hard to find a matching text. I remember searching through (almost)
every book shop in Bologna for a fitting Italian edition. There were many book shops
and many Alice editions but not the right one ...

Those habits seem to fit in nicely with your new life, not too ambitious, therefore
totally realistic. I've had great success with Habit 1, thanks to that I often get more
studying done on working days than on weekends.

Which Strugatsky book did you read and was it a good one? I've heard many good things
about their boooks but have never read one myself.

/aloysius
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6166 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 10 of 56
26 January 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Alice in Japanese is wonderful. I think that the lady who reads it is so good that I almost would feel bad LRing it in another language now. :) How many of those languages have you LRed?

I read Strugatsky's Хищные вещи века (The Final Circle of Paradise). But I haven't completed it yet. I find it very interesting and I enjoy reading it. Though, I have to admit that if there is a story line, I must have missed it. Lol. I can read a Dostoyevsky novel and totally understand what's going on, but I got lost in this one. :) I'll probably LR it again since it still found it enjoying.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 11 of 56
27 January 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back from your recent mountain meditations with Master Tsu, brother Medialis. I hope you're now refreshed in spirit, and ready to take on all the wonderful new linguistic and academic projects ahead of you. Engineering new study habits early on in the year is an inspired idea, and there are of course great benefits to be derived from regular doses of song scriptorium before hitting the pillow each night (nightly drafts and recitations of the sacred LR scrolls were once I believe a key practice in the celestial teachings of Master Da-Ma Li). So now it's finally time for us both to start a brand new expedition as proud members of Team Sputnik, shake off the dust from 2011 behind us, and venture forward boldly into the great and hopefully fluent unknown!

Edited by Teango on 27 January 2012 at 11:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4855 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 12 of 56
28 January 2012 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
I read Strugatsky's Хищные вещи века (The Final Circle of Paradise). But I haven't completed it yet. I find it very interesting and I enjoy reading it. Though, I have to admit that if there is a story line, I must have missed it. Lol. I can read a Dostoyevsky novel and totally understand what's going on, but I got lost in this one. :) I'll probably LR it again since it still found it enjoying.

And ambitious undertaking! Unlike some of the other novels, this one is less self-contained. The novel itself is rather a part of a whole, mostly centering around the future 'time', though the central hero does appear in other novels. I wouldn't say that the books are meant to be read in any particular sequence, but you can certainly find reconstructed chronologies of the future of Strugatsky's on the web, if you become a fan.

The main message of the books IMHO is the dystopian/utopian society painted in all those books and the ideas that underlie them, rather than any particular central plot. Not saying there isnt' a plot, just that the background is often as much fun, if not more, as the plot itself.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6166 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 13 of 56
05 February 2012 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2012 - Team Sputnik - Log #2

@s0fist: Reading this made me even more eager to continue reading Strugatsky! And I'm glad to hear that I was not completely off when I got confused by the 'plot'. :)

Funnily enough, I had basically written this post in my head when I saw Woodsei's latest update where he mentions the same thing. Is it a coincidence? I'd like to think it's not! ;D

Subtitles - A scientific study

I often read people arguing that subtitles are bad for your lymph; Simply because they tend to distract you from actually listening to the audio. (I remember Khatz saying that he often could remember Anime dialogues as if they were in English, just because he focused so much on the subtitles).

But after some experimentation, I have found a marvelous equation system that explains how subtitles truly work:

1. Subtitled Movies = Happy fun time
2. Subtitled Movies + LR = Happy fun time
3. LR + Subtitled Movies = Intense Learning Mania! + Happy fun time.

Lol. So what I'm trying to say here is that when I'm in the LR zone, preferably having done some LR earlier in the day, watching subtitled movies is extremely beneficial. I tend to 'look beyond' the subtitles, but they still guide me so that I easily get the clues I need to catch all the nuances of the dialogue. It's so much easier to listen to the Japanese and catch new words and expressions because I don't have to do so much guess work. All of the words that I look up of course go into WordShower. :)

(All math geeks out there have probably noticed that equation 2 and 3 show that the '+' operator is not commutative. I leave the proof as an exercise. d:)

6WC - Because you're worth it

My habit engineering experiment is turning out very well. And it made it very easy to jump aboard the 6WC wagon.

Studying Japanese for more than 2 hours a day is like a dream. I had almost forgotten how it felt. I've also found the weirdest source of inspiration known to mankind: Korean.

It's totally weird, but whenever I come in contact with something in Korean, I get extremely inspired to study Japanese. Maybe it just reminds me of the feeling I had when Japanese was a total mystery to me. Every now and then, I end up on a site written in Hangul (the Korean script), and I'm like: "Must study Japanese harder, must study Japanese..".

-----------------------------------------

Team Sputnik - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 05 February 2012 at 1:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 14 of 56
07 February 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Absolutely - subtitles work really well with the right approach! The main issue here, as you so rightly point out, is that we tend to focus on the text and all the fun moving visuals, and quickly resort to filtering out most of the accompanying audio. I find this even happens in my own native language (e.g. when I watch an English film with English subtitles as part of a mixed group or with a friend from another country). However, LR works because it trains a learner to persistently keep track of the sounds whilst following along in the text, and once you've done this for an hour or two and got into the habit, the boost in active listening for a short period afterwards is simply amazing. :)

Edited by Teango on 07 February 2012 at 10:59am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 56
09 February 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
Team Tac 2012 - Team Sputnik - Log #1

Hello World!

I've been silent for a while now, but now I'm ready to enter TTAC mode again!

So what have I done?

I spent some time preparing parallel texts. I've also been LRing a book by the Strugatsky brothers in Russian and done another LR round of Alice in Wonderland in Japanese. Right now, I've entered an all-Japanese study period.

My new life

I started to work with my Master's Thesis 13 days ago. Since I'm doing it for a company, I'm required to work 9-5, and I totally love it! Before, all my nice plans and good habits were destroyed every second month because of the recurring exam periods (nerve-wracking cramfests anyone?).

With my new schedule, and some new found energy, I'm now proud to announce a new little sub-quest:

Exploring The Noble Art of Habit Engineering

The nextcoming weeks, I intend to do everything I can to craft some strong language learning habits. (wish me luck ^^)

Habit 1: Commuting madness:

In order to get to work, I have to walk 10 minutes to the bus, and then travel for about 50 minutes (and then repeat the same thing to get back home).

So now we just need to add some magic powder and voilà: I get to do 20 minutes of shadowing+100 minutes of LR every day!

Habit 2: Gaijin Relaxation:

Sometimes when I get home, I am so tired that I couldn't possibly force myself to do anything productive. That's when I activate Habit 2, get myself some snacks and watch Japanese tv series. Or maybe I just turn on some Japanese radio and spend time writing out random words that I find on Japanese blogs.

I'll see how this works out in practice. I'd like to change the way I relax, so that I spend the time learning languages instead of just reading the news or some random articles I find. What if I could be able to turn all my procrastrination habits into an all-powerful "procrastrination by learning languages" habit? :)

Habit 3: Daily Scriptorium:

Any decent doctor would agree that 20 minutes of Scriptorium/Song Scriptorium before going to sleep is the key to living a fulfilling and healthy life (lol). So my commitment now is to make sure that I always have some interesting materials ready at 9pm. Then, the table is ready so that I can dive straight into my Scriptorium Paradise without any efforts.

I intend to have a "no-excuses"-mindset in the first weeks so I can surf on these habits when my current inspiration fades away.

My 2012 has started! :D

-----------------------------------------

Team Sputnik - M. Medialis

I really, really like this approach. I have been trying something slightly similar, but this looks a lot more organized!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4606 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 16 of 56
13 February 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Good point on the associations between LR and subtitles. Why not go crazy with language
learning and have an insanely great time! I guess I realized how to make subtitles
work for me, not the other way around, when I found that I could get the subtitles in
both English and Japanese on D-Addicts, as well as my thoughts on LR. The result?
Japanese immersion, which is like a dream come true, fun, and learning! And don't you
agree that fun learning is just simply thrilling? :)

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version