Czech Republic
Joined 5148 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 9 of 62
10 January 2012 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

I'm glad that you're enjoying what I've put together so far for Northern Saami. I'm also happy to "put in a good word" for an endangered language when the opportunity presents itself. Since you're not of Saamic ancestry (as far as I know), your enthusiasm would especially delight an acquaintance of mine in Finnish Sápmi who's involved with revitalization of the closely-related Inari Saami.

You're right, I'm not of Saamic ancestry. I'd love to have a heritage language but I don't have one as far as I know. I've considered studying Cornish, just because it's the only Celtic language in England, I still might study it and help revive it one day.

I have a strong urge to buy all of the Northern Saami resources and study it properly now but I know I must be sensible for now and really focus on getting my Czech and Hungarian up to the level I want.

By the way, do you have some language heritage among your Slavic and Uralic languages or are you just drawn to them in a purely language geek way (like me)?   
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 62
11 January 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Chung wrote:
hribecek wrote:
WANDERLUST!

My first wanderlust project of the year is Northern Saami as Chung has put together a well-thought out basic course. I've completed the first couple of sections and recommend it to anybody interested in the Saami culture and language. As well as learning some words and phrases and features of the language, I've also learned about what they eat, what animals they encounter and the environment they live in.

If you're reading this and even slightly interested, send Chung a PM and take the course. I've probably worked on Northern Saami for about 2 hours so far.

I'm glad that you're enjoying what I've put together so far for Northern Saami. I'm also happy to "put in a good word" for an endangered language when the opportunity presents itself. Since you're not of Saamic ancestry (as far as I know), your enthusiasm would especially delight an acquaintance of mine in Finnish Sápmi who's involved with revitalization of the closely-related Inari Saami.

I tried to PM you, Chung, but your inbox is full. I'd love to see the course.
Funny. I tried to do the reverse but got the same result. I've just cleared my inbox so try again now.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 11 of 62
11 January 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Chung wrote:

You're right, I'm not of Saamic ancestry. I'd love to have a heritage language but I don't have one as far as I know. I've considered studying Cornish, just because it's the only Celtic language in England, I still might study it and help revive it one day.

I have a strong urge to buy all of the Northern Saami resources and study it properly now but I know I must be sensible for now and really focus on getting my Czech and Hungarian up to the level I want.

By the way, do you have some language heritage among your Slavic and Uralic languages or are you just drawn to them in a purely language geek way (like me)?   

I'm attracted to them because of the happy association that I have had with native speakers of those languages or their respective environments while travelling. The languages themselves are fine, but the people who speak them natively (many of whom are also friends) are finer still.

If you were to act on your urge, all the more power to you. However you know that it'd be very hard sledding since none of the core learning material for any Saamic language these days comes in a language in which you're reasonably familiar. The only textbooks for any Saamic language published in Hungarian that I've heard of consist of what Ignác Halász compiled based on his fieldwork in the late 19th century (he called it "Swedish Lappish" or svéd-lapp) and a chrestomathy from the 1980s by György Lakó.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5148 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 12 of 62
16 January 2012 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
NORTHERN SAAMI

I've now finished 7 of Chung's assignments, including a few new ones about the conjugation of verbs. The latest assignments have been very effective in their stick-ability; I can remember all of the 11 new verbs that Chung has introduced and most of the 9 different conjugations for each verb. Hopefully I'll be able to commit the upcoming verbs to memory too.

I've also reviewed the nouns, adjectives and phrases introduced in the first few assignments.

I think long term I'll just maintain my Northern Saami at a functioning beginner level and then maybe slowly improve just by following Chung and Kafea's logs.

HUNGARIAN

I've been really working on my Hungarian vocabulary with flashcards. As usual writing, speaking to myself and listening to Kossuth and my CD's have also been a feature of the last week. After this I'm going to translate the letter in the multilingual lounge to Hungarian and hopefully get some corrections from Maxval. :)))

CZECH

This weekend I had a very intense Czech social gathering, I was the lone foreigner with 5 Czechs for Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday morning. These types of meetings are obviously very valuable to me and we played lots of games involving describing things in Czech which is a great exercise for me. However, due to my low confidence in general as a speaker, being obviously the worst Czech speaker in the room (the others were all natives) really humbles me and makes all of my mistakes and weaknesses glaringly obvious, which in turn makes me feel bad about my abilities. After this gathering I felt a little down for the rest of Sunday as I recalled all of my mistakes. I wish I didn't have this self-evaluating personality trait because it really hinders my confidence and thus my fluency.

Edited by hribecek on 16 January 2012 at 11:51am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 13 of 62
17 January 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
NORTHERN SAAMI

I've now finished 7 of Chung's assignments, including a few new ones about the conjugation of verbs. The latest assignments have been very effective in their stick-ability; I can remember all of the 11 new verbs that Chung has introduced and most of the 9 different conjugations for each verb. Hopefully I'll be able to commit the upcoming verbs to memory too.

I've also reviewed the nouns, adjectives and phrases introduced in the first few assignments.

I think long term I'll just maintain my Northern Saami at a functioning beginner level and then maybe slowly improve just by following Chung and Kafea's logs.

I'm happy to read that you're taking well to the material so far. I wouldn't call it the most exciting stuff but it is important (I think) so it pays to do the job carefully and not cut corners.

I'd be happy if you could indeed maintain your interest in Northern Saami or any Saamic language for that matter. You should make a trip to Sápmi some day. It'll make the language come to life especially if you can meet any Saami. However seeing the environment on your own may also be fun as you could trek in the vuovdi, walking past a duottar and jávri under the gaskaijabeaivváš with a netted hat shielding you from that čuru or čuoika that just won't leave you alone (in summer) or maybe instead under cover of the skábma with the mánnu and guovssahasat (Northern Lights) illuminating the muohta and jiekŋa around you and perhaps even a stray boazu (in winter).
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5148 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 14 of 62
17 January 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Buore beaivvi Chung

Áinnas, you´re right, mun could mannat there and mun sidan mannat there. Mun liikon your idea, because mun imagine Sápmi is a miellagiddevaš riika. Mun would be able hubmat with an olmmoš in their giella, this would be my main reason mannat to Sápmi, but as don dajat, there are many other reasons mannat.

For example, I´d love to find out mii a rávdu is and a luomi and a joknga might leat tasty. I should borrat them.

I would leat afraid on my own though, because there might leat many boazu running around and even a hui stuoris njálla might borrat me, because son will think that mun lean biebmu.

I'm sure the riika isn't at all heittot or doavki though.

Mun in diede (diehtit) goas though.

Excuse my grammar, obviously I realise that the modals, conditionals etc. are completely wrong and you know the limited amount of verb forms I know/might know.

Edited by hribecek on 17 January 2012 at 3:17pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5148 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 15 of 62
23 January 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
I don't have too much to update on from my studies in the last week. I've been mainly focusing on Hungarian, trying to do at least about 1 hour every day and usually more. So today I'll just write in my languages instead.

Én vagyok Steve, lakom Csehországban, de Angliából vagyok. Inkább lakom csehországban, mert azt hiszem hogy az emberek hasonlók hozzám. Szoktak csak akarni élni problémák nélkül és jobban szeretik a szabad időt, mint a munka időt. Angliában, az emberek mindig dolgoznak és amikor szabad időjük van, vagy nézik a tévét, vagy a sörözőbe járnak. Csehországban lakom a hegyek mellett és mehetek gyakran sétálni a hegyeken, magam érzem nagyon jól a természetben. Szerintem is, hogy az embereknek itt a hasonló humoruk van, mint én - egy kicsit sötét, de sosem komoly.

Myslím si, že toto (to co jsem napsal maďarsky) vždycky píšu, když píšu o české republice, ale nic jiného mě nenapadlo, tak jsem to napsal znovu! To je jednou, důležité je, že jsem něco napsal maďarsky a že teď něco píšu česky.

V poslední době jsem moc nepsal česky, protože jsem neměl proč. Bývalá ředitelka této školy byla češka a když tady byla ona, musel jsem psát každý den česky a také mluvit častěji. Teď můj šéf je američan a to znamená, že bohužel tady obvykle použivám angličtinu. To je pro mne velká škoda, ale alespoň naše sekretářka je češka a pár českých učitelů také tady je, tak se s nimi bavím česky a to je lepší než nic.

Psání je docela těžké v češtině, protože často si nejsem jistý, jestli používám obecnou nebo spisovnou češtinu. Vím, že musím cvičit.

Už se nudím, protože nevím co mám napsat. Příště něco vymyslím předem.

So I wrote a load of rubbish really, but even so I'd appreciate corrections from a Hungarian or Czech.   

Edited by hribecek on 23 January 2012 at 12:23pm

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4885 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, Russian
Studies: Vietnamese
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 62
23 January 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Myslím si, že toto (to, co jsem napsal maďarsky) vždycky píšu, když píšu o České republice, ale nic jiného mě nenapadlo, tak jsem to napsal znovu! To je jedno, důležité je, že jsem něco napsal maďarsky a že teď něco píšu česky.

V poslední době jsem moc nepsal česky, protože jsem neměl proč. Bývalá ředitelka této školy byla Češka a když tady byla ona, musel jsem psát každý den česky a také mluvit častěji. Teď je můj šéf Američan a to znamená, že bohužel tady obvykle používám angličtinu. To je pro mne velká škoda, ale alespoň naše sekretářka je Češka a pár českých učitelů tady také je, tak se s nimi bavím česky, a to je lepší, než nic.

Psav češtině je docela těžké, protože si často nejsem jistý, jestli používám obecnou nebo spisovnou češtinu. Vím, že musím cvičit.

Už se nudím, protože nevím, co mám napsat. Příště něco vymyslím předem.

Ahoj, myslím, že to máš napsané pěkně. Bylo tam pár neobratností ve slovosledu a nějaké překlepy, ale je to bez problémů srozumitelné. Opravil jsem také nějaká velká písmena, ale sám v tom celkem plavu a musel jsem se dívat do slovníku. (Poslední dobou píšu většinou v angličtině, a ta má pro velká písmena jiná pravidla, tak se mi to plete.)

Ta obecná čeština je problém, no. Sám to píšu "jak mi zobák narost", čili místo "také" píšu "taky", a u druhých mi to také nevadí, když to tak píšou. Nebo třeba bych asi napsal "je to složitý", ačkoli správně by to mělo být "složité". Ale třeba chyby v pravopisu mě otravují. Někde jsem viděl přednášku o tom, že jazyk lolcats (I can has cheesburger atp.) není prostě zkomolená angličtina, ale že to má gramatiku, a že komunita (tedy asi 4chan) pozná dobrou lolcatštinu od špatné. Tak si říkám, že s tou hovorovou češtinou je to podobné. Můžeš psát hovorově, ale musí to být gramaticky správně a bez hrubek :)

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version