Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 17 of 19
07 January 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
Most of us have been aware that the situation in Croatian since 1991 has been ridiculous. Hence the Serbian
jokes that the Croats call a belt (opasac or kajs) an okolotrbusni hlacedrzac (literally, around-the-belly pants-
holder), a gutter (oluk) is an okokucni vodopis (around-the-house water-pisser), and a motorcycle (motocikl) is
a medjunozni prdiguz (between-the-legs butt-farter).

I would say that it was ridiculous during the Balkan Wars of the '90s and many ordinary Croats got tired of some of the loony things coming from the talking heads in linguistics departments and Sabor (e.g. making jokes such as letting the purist zrakomlat (for helikopter) acquire the sarcastic meaning of someone who likes to wave his/her arms in the air making a big stink about something as some extermists were doing when insisting that "true" Croats needed to adopt the new "Serbian-free" speak lest they eventually lose their "Croatianess" because of their existing language habits). Things have settled down somewhat since Tudjman died but every now and then you come across the occasional controversy (or even borderline stupidity) bubbling from the linguistic establishment.

E.g.

- Battle For Language Or Battle For Profits or the mountain out of molehill in 2005 pitting Croatian prescriptivists with their spelling manual just cleared of "Serbianisms" against Croatian descriptivists with their spelling manual still listing "Serbianisms".
- Srpski jezik nije štokavski ('Serbian is not Štokavian' according to this interview in 2010 with the otherwise respectable Croatian linguist Radoslav Katičić. Scientific inquiry or thought experiments powered by nationalism ultimately don't end well, folks. I admit that the only Croatian linguists whom I respect are Anić, Kalogjera, Matasović, Pranjković, Škiljan, and to a large degree Kordić. The rest of them (e.g. Babić, Jonke, Kačić, Katačić, Moguš et al.) got too infected by exclusionary nationalism to offer something coherent or respectful of an outsider's intelligence).

Merv wrote:
Language learners should be aware that the standard Croatian doesn't even originate from Croatia: it originates
from the southeastern corner of Bosnia-Herzegovina (once) populated by Serbs and Bosnian Muslims. If they
want to learn autochthonous Croatian, they should learn Kajkavian or better yet Chakavian, the language spoken
on the Dalmatian coast.

And while I'm speaking my own mind, I would really rather prefer it if the Croats just taught Chakavian in their
schools as the official language and ended this farce of butchering a Stokavian dialect originating among the
Serbs of Herzegovina.

Unfortunately, we see the same situation with "Bosnian." Although it is much more natural than the neo-Croatian,
much of the language had a closer vocabulary to that of Serbia than of Croatia, but the effort has been made -
artificially I might add - to shift to Croatian vocabulary. Turkish, Farsi, and Arabic words have been dredged up
from centuries ago. The Cyrillic alphabet has been expunged, despite the fact that Bosancica was a Cyrillic
alphabet, etc.

Well, it's too late now. Oh, what could have been if the Illyrians and Vuk Karadžić had got off on the wrong foot and turned their backs on each other right after their first meeting. What could have been if Rijeka's Philological School had come to dominate the Illyrian movement's attitude toward standardization. On the other hand, if those guys from Rijeka had had a greater say, the current Croatian standard would look more like Slovenian and other Slavonic languages further north. At its worst the Croatian and Slovenian standards might have even come enough to the point where Croatian and Slovenian linguists would have been pitted against each other rather than Croatian and Serbian ones in arguing whether Slovenian is just a Croatian dialect or vice-versa even if the Croatian standard actually draws little from Kajkavian. Balkan academia just wouldn't be the same without some ethnically-tinged feuding going on. :-P
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4836 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 18 of 19
08 January 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
" ko (S) ~ tko (C) "who" "
Maybe, kto?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 19 of 19
09 January 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
" ko (S) ~ tko (C) "who" "
Maybe, kto?

If you're thinking that it's a typing error, it's not. The Croats learn to spell and use it as tko. It's probably from some dialect(s) which had exchanged the places of the 'k' and 't' (i.e. Proto-Slavonic *kъto > unnamed dialect(s) (?) *tъko) and then for some reason was adopted as standard and so the new mark of an "educated" Croat's speech)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version