Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5141 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 17 of 23
12 March 2012 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
I'm experiencing something similar with Spanish and Cantonese. At times when I'm trying
to think in Cantonese, Spanish conjunctions pop up in my thoughts as I'm not used to the
Cantonese way of connecting sentences and words together. It seems like there's a word
missing sometimes, so I automatically add the Spanish equivalent. Unfortunately, I don't
know any solution to the problem except practising to think in the language more often,
maybe start with easy sentences that you already know to elliminate influences from the
other language and then work your way up.
1 person has voted this message useful

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4704 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 18 of 23
02 May 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
I feel really awful for procrastinating the updating of my log, but I'm doing it now!
The last two months have been extremely stressful due to school and exams and clinical
rotations. I have had no time to study at all for any of my languages. But Alas, the
first chunk of the year is over, and today is the start of the second chunk! I am
putting more effort into Mandarin, which I have neglected all year. I am also studying
harder for French, as I need to be at a high intermediate level by January. I've also
picked up Swedish again, like I promised I would.

I also want to apologize to my team members for being a really bad team member. I have
not been posting in your logs or been as encouraging as I would have liked. I hope to
improve upon that and try my best to follow your logs better! I wish you all good
luck!!

Quick updates:
1. I am participating in the Super Challenge with French (100/100) and Swedish.
2. I am also participating in the 6 week Challenge with French.
3. I will be leaving in mid June for vacation and I wont return until the end of
august. I am not sure how this will affect my studies until I leave.

I'll try to post here every day for Mandarin and Swedish, and my French will go on the
new blog I started for the Super Challenge!
2 persons have voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5141 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 19 of 23
02 May 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
It's nice to hear from you again! :) And don't worry, we all tend to procrastinate
sometimes.

I was thinking about attending the Super Challenge, but in the end I decided not to as 20
months is a very long time, I still haven't finished my book that I started in January
(and it's in my native language!) and I have still not tried a reading challenge. I will
join the Tadoku challenge though! Good luck with the Super challenge and let me know if
you need any help with your Swedish ;)

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4868 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 20 of 23
03 May 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Wooh, good luck on your challenges! :D And pfft, don't worry about the not
updating/encouraging thing... I *suck* at that. I feel horrible about it D:

Heh. Anyway, yes, I hope you're having fun with the first two days of the 6WC/Super
Challenge and I will do my best to stop procrastinating and drop by more often :D

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4704 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 

Message 21 of 23
03 May 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
It's nice to hear from you again! :) And don't worry, we all tend to
procrastinate
sometimes.

I was thinking about attending the Super Challenge, but in the end I decided not to as
months is a very long time, I still haven't finished my book that I started in January
(and it's in my native language!) and I have still not tried a reading challenge. I
will
join the Tadoku challenge though! Good luck with the Super challenge and let me know if
you need any help with your Swedish ;)

It takes me days to finish 5 pages of French, haha! But you could do a half super
challenge where you watch 100 movies only. I think 2 movies/tv shows a week isn't too
bad! :D I've heard a lot about the Tadoku challenge and I might do it when I become a
little more advanced in French or Swedish! What language do you want to do the challenge in? Thanks I'll definitely be asking you any Swedish-related questions I may
have soon!

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4704 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 

Message 22 of 23
03 May 2012 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Luna Moonsilver wrote:
Wooh, good luck on your challenges! :D And pfft, don't worry
about the not
updating/encouraging thing... I *suck* at that. I feel horrible about it D:

Heh. Anyway, yes, I hope you're having fun with the first two days of the 6WC/Super
Challenge and I will do my best to stop procrastinating and drop by more often
:D

We'll improve on this! I'm sure of it (mostly because it's almost summer vacation which
means a little more free time!)
I'm doing really bad so far! I've been distracted with other things (on the plus side I
think I might have gotten a job for part of the summer haha!) and I couldn't offically
register today, so hopefully tomorrow is better! How have the first two days gone for
you? I know you're busy with final exams and such, but I hope it's going well for you!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5141 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 23 of 23
03 May 2012 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
silverpolyglot wrote:

It takes me days to finish 5 pages of French, haha! But you could do a half super
challenge where you watch 100 movies only. I think 2 movies/tv shows a week isn't too
bad! :D I've heard a lot about the Tadoku challenge and I might do it when I become a
little more advanced in French or Swedish! What language do you want to do the
challenge in? Thanks I'll definitely be asking you any Swedish-related questions I may
have soon!

Half a super challenge sounds like a good idea! I need to think about what language I
would take part with though and where I can find enough movies in the language. :)

I've just been thinking about the Tadoku challenge and I think my first language will
be Spanish, as I have never yet been able to finish a book in that language (I've
already read one in German) and I've been so looking forward to trying it out one more
time now that I've started studying it again! Last year I tried to read a children's
book in Spanish, but my progress was too slow that I stopped after only a few pages.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version