Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

L2 novel vs translation

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: For a first novel, which is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [59.18%]
20 [40.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

25 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5435 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 9 of 25
31 December 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

The more experienced I get at learning languages, the more I come to realize how important new material is.

Yes, but my vote for a translation was based on it being a first novel. Perhaps I should add that I prefer translations as a beginner, moving onto original native books once I'm reading with less effort.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 25
31 December 2011 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
If translations generally are easier to read than original works, then the translators are doing a poor job. But it is hard to prove.

I mostly read non fiction, and many of the science magazines you can find in kiosks have editions in different languages, and I have sometimes come across the same story in different languages. Then the name of the author may or may not give a hint of which one is the original version - but frankly I would be at a loss to tell without that kind of external evidence. However the themes in these magazines are typically international, in the sense that a report about an experiment in Germany can be written in Greek or English or Icelandic, and you couldn't care less. With literature the situation is different. The original language is part of the work, and any translation is a different work. You can read Harry Potter in all kinds of languages for training and amusement, but somewhere in the back of your head you know that the English version is the real deal. And Dante's Commeddia is of course an Italian work, even if you have to read it in German or Russian. So reading something you could get through is the original language with slightly more effort is always a betrayal of the original work - no matter how good the translation is. I do see the point of rereading books in another language which you know less well, but then the correct thing to do would be to speedread a translation into your L1 first and then read the original work afterwards, taking all the necessary time for the purpose.

And now for the real world: if you REALLY dig Harry Potter then I can understand that you fall for the temptation to use it as a study material. It would be more honorable and noble and all that to read an original work in Greek or Chinese, but if you can't find anything as fascinating in your target language as our dear sorcerer and his magic world then follow your heart and lock your dirty conscience away in a box "not to be opened before I know what happened to the evil lord Voldemort".

8 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5084 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 11 of 25
31 December 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Serpent wrote:
why necessarily translated from L1?

thanks - fixed (sort of)
Serpent wrote:
I really think that for a beginner Listening-Reading is better than just reading.

If this involves L-R to the same novel over and over again, I disagree. But if you mean just once, I agree.

I prefer a native novel for the following reasons:

1) Translations are often poor, not very literal, and sometimes don't make sense in L2 language or culture.
Sometimes a
translator takes some artistic license to make the story work in L2 culture, which means it doesn't match the
original story very
well any more. This can be a problem if the learner is trying to compare the L2 to the original. Of course, the
more different L2 is from the original, the worse the translation is.

Where is the problem? So your Harry Potter is a young monk in a shaolin monastery, I find this fascinating, as long as it is written in a flawless language, flawless in itself, not in comparison with the original. The translation does not transfer some of the super intelligent puns of JKR? Bad thing, but why should I care, as I read the translation, not the original. For a more advanced learner the difference will be interesting to note, because he may learn about the structural differences of L orig and L trans. If you don't get what is going on even when comparing the original and the translation, then you are not very advanced and should not even bother what you read, just read any thing until you have become more competent.

Now if you say that Chinese translations are written in a notoriously bad Mandarin, because the translations are made by censoring policemen, well, this would be a different story. Are Chinese translators so bad? Does a lot of literature get translated to Swahili or Thai at all? And if so are the translations written in a bad Swahili or Thai? Then thanks for the warning. The translations I have read in my European only languages use to be quite good.
And I don't think a translation is necessarily worse the more different the languages are: It is exactly in languages like German and English, which are rather similar, that interference occurs, cognates get mixed up and syntactic structures can be imitated. Such things are less likely to occur in languages with very different origins.

leosmith wrote:
2) Reading a story that I already know isn't nearly as interesting, or attention grabbing as reading a novel for the first time.

This is interesting to hear, but not a general rule. I do like rereading texts I know, so what now? Maybe because I am n o t only interested in the story. A story, this means whodunnit? And when I know who did it the text gets boring? Sounds like a bad book, not like a bad translation ...
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 25
01 January 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

Serpent wrote:
I really think that for a beginner Listening-Reading is better than just reading.

If this involves L-R to the same novel over and over again, I disagree. But if you mean just once, I agree.
I mean just once. Well, once at a time, just like with novels. I hope one day I'll listen to what I've been L-R'ing recently, without the text and still understanding perfectly.

though if you're obsessed and the work is long enough, i see nothing wrong with L-R over and over.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 25
01 January 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Where is the problem? So your Harry Potter is a young monk in a shaolin monastery, I find
this fascinating, as long as it is written in a
flawless language, flawless in itself, not in comparison with the original. The translation does not transfer some
of the super intelligent puns of JKR? Bad thing,
but why should I care, as I read the translation, not the original.

Please see the first post. This poll is about reading a translation of a novel you have already read.

lingoleng wrote:
For a more advanced learner the difference will be interesting to note, because he may learn
about the structural differences of L orig and L
trans.

Reading a novel over again is a pretty high price to pay for this little benefit. There are much greater benefits to
be had by reading a new story, imo.

lingoleng wrote:
If you don't get what is going on even when comparing the original and the translation, then
you are not very advanced and should not even
bother what you read, just read any thing until you have become more competent.

Not very helpful to a beginning reader and not relevant to the thread either.

lingoleng wrote:
Now if you say that Chinese translations are written in a notoriously bad Mandarin, because
the translations are made by censoring
policemen, well, this would be a different story. Are Chinese translators so bad? Does a lot of literature get
translated to Swahili or Thai at all? And if so are the
translations written in a bad Swahili or Thai? Then thanks for the warning.

Lots of material gets translated into Thai and Swahili. Thanks for asking. There are probably exceptions, but in
general, the more different the 2 languages, the
worse the translations.

lingoleng wrote:
And I don't think a translation is necessarily worse the more different the languages are: It is
exactly in languages like German and English,
which are rather similar, that interference occurs, cognates get mixed up and syntactic structures can be
imitated. Such things are less likely to occur in
languages with very different origins.

Disagree. The issues you mention are minor compared the issues that exist when the languages are quite
different.

lingoleng wrote:
so what now?

If you want to re-read the same book for your first novel, instead of taking advantage of the benefits of new
material, that's your choice.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 25
01 January 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
1) Translations are often poor, not very literal, and sometimes don't make sense in L2 language or culture. Sometimes a translator takes some artistic license to make the story work in L2 culture, which means it doesn't match the
original story very well any more.

I have no problems reading translations, but as soon as there is some language element in the story, it's usually not that good.

I've read the Da Vinci code in Swedish and Spanish. At one point in the story, there is a message on the floor. The Swedish translation has kept the original English text "O, Draconian devil! Oh, Lame Saint!" (a wise decision in my opinion) while it's translated in the Spanish version - "Diavole in Dracon! LĂ­mala, Asno"...

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5084 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 15 of 25
01 January 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

Lots of material gets translated into Thai and Swahili. Thanks for asking. There are probably exceptions, but in general, the more different the 2 languages, the worse the translations.

Very interesting. How many translated "stories" have you read in each of these languages? Doesn't it take more than basic fluency to judge the quality of a translation? A lot of books are translated, but the general quality is overall bad, not only in insignificant minor details? So bad that a foreigner reading these books will not feel like he is reading a Swahili or Thai book but something different that will affect his language learning in a negative way? He must be warned, else he will take damage?
I mean, it is possible, of course, that Thai translations are bad because nobody pays the translators, and the translations are made by young enthusiasts and amateurs, who are not up to the task? Is it like that? What exactly is the problem when reading a translated book in these languages? And if there is one shouldn't it be announced in a different context, like "don't read Thai translations, they are not of professional quality!" instead of masking it as a poll about a novices first lecture?
3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 16 of 25
01 January 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
leosmith wrote:

Lots of material gets translated into Thai and Swahili. Thanks for asking. There are probably exceptions, but in general, the
more different the 2 languages, the worse the translations.

Very interesting. How many translated "stories" have you read in each of these languages? Doesn't it take more than basic
fluency to judge the quality of a translation? A lot of books are translated, but the general quality is overall bad, not only in
insignificant minor details? So bad that a foreigner reading these books will not feel like he is reading a Swahili or Thai book
but something different that will affect his language learning in a negative way? He must be warned, else he will take
damage?
I mean, it is possible, of course, that Thai translations are bad because nobody pays the translators, and the translations are
made by young enthusiasts and amateurs, who are not up to the task? Is it like that? What exactly is the problem when
reading a translated book in these languages? And if there is one shouldn't it be announced in a different context, like "don't
read Thai translations, they are not of professional quality!" instead of masking it as a poll about a novices first lecture?

Totally agree.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version