Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 57 of 108
09 May 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Gosiak wrote:
Hi :)
I'll add something to your list

mick33 wrote:

pan/pani - jest

It's correct but if you list pronouns it would be better to write "on/ona/ono - jest" (he/she/it)

Edit:

Oh, 'państwo/panowie' does not represent two distinctive groups of people
państwo - men & women
panowie - men

panie - women

panie/panowie is correct but, once again, pronouns would be different, namely:
oni/one - they (masculine)/they (feminine) 'oni' is also used for mixed groups

Powodzenia!
Thank you for the additions. I thought my list wasn't quite right, but wasn't sure what was missing.
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish

Message 58 of 108
17 May 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
I have been going about Polish all wrong! No wonder I had such a hard time with it last year and am making slow progress this time. I should be learning more vocabulary now and, I can't believe I'm actually writing it, less grammar!?!? I have started to think that this would be a good strategy for Finnish as well. I think the reason this is a good idea is that Finnish and Polish are both inflected languages and that means that I can't rely on the nominative forms of words to say or write anything, thus I should consider the inflected forms as simply more vocabulary and then learn grammar in more detail a litte later on. This is the opposite of what I've done with Afrikaans, Spanish, Swedish and Italian; but these languages have less inflections than Polish or Finnish. With that out of the way, I now give you my latest list of Polish vocabulary (words and phrases) taken mostly from my Teach Yourself Polish book:

przepraszam - excuse me
mieć - to have
dać - to give
mam nadzieję, że - I hope, that (attempt at a literal translation)
zapisać - to write down (ling.pl dictionary gives more meanings such as put down, jot down, take down, enroll and many more)

samochód - car
jechać - to travel
mówić - to speak
rower - bicycle
szukać - search
iść - to go along, to move
potrzebować - to need
piękny - beautiful

My next post will hopefully be about Spanish

do widzenia
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 18 May 2012 at 1:07am

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 59 of 108
28 May 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
¡Que horror! No he aprendido nada por las últimas pasadas porque he estado muy perezoso. Por si fuera poco, he perdido casí el interés por los idiomas extranjeros. ¡No es aceptable! Creer que vuelva a aprender los idiomas muy pronto, especialmente sí escriba o hablar el idioma polaco.

How awful! I have learned nothing in the last few weks because I'm lazy. Even worse that, I almost lost interest in foreign languages. This is unacceptable, especially if I want to write or speak Polish and I do.

buenas noches
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 28 May 2012 at 11:28am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 60 of 108
28 May 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Changing your methods should help. I love grammar too but it's such a joy to figure it out naturally! Ie try more input and more fun. Sites like lyricstraining, mission Europe, gloss :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 61 of 108
04 June 2012 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
@Serpent: I can't ever really abandon grammar, my brain won't allow it! Seriously though, I know you're right. I do need more input for Polish... well, I really need more input in all the languages I want to learn.

I have been very busy lately and I've had little time for languages since my last post. I hope this week will not be so busy but I haven't been good at predictions this year. I have listened to spoken Polish, but not very much and since I did a very poor job of keeping records of the time I spent on this so I didn't mention it on Twitter. Sunday evening I tried to read Polish out loud, even though I knew it was way too soon for this type of activity, and it was fun. My pronunciation is still very bad but I'm gradually learning how the letters and digraphs are supposed to sound. I've also been listening to Italian just so I don't confuse it with Spanish.

This wouldn't be a proper log post if I didn't mention wanderlust. On Friday I remembered that I learned a little bit of Devanagari script at the end of April and I couldn't resist learning a little Hindi and Marathi. I know I won't learn these languages any time soon partly because it takes so long to find resources for these languages, so this was harmless.

cześć
Mick

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5149 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 62 of 108
05 June 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
You can still beat me in our little Polish competition. I've done 16 hours so far and am aiming for 20, so there's a little target for you, maybe. :))

It was immediately clear that Serpent's focus on Polish is a lot more serious than ours so she moved way out of our reaches immediately, so now I'm secretly (not anymore) trying to do more than 10% of whatever she does in Polish, at the moment I'm winning but it's a close battle! :))))

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 63 of 108
05 June 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Hahaha :)
I don't see myself getting anywhere near close to 200h, so if you reach 20 you'll do more than 10% for sure :) Glad to have provided some motivation :D

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 64 of 108
05 June 2012 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Over 100 hours? Wow, I see I need to be more diciplined, no wonder I'm making slow progress in Polish.

20 hours seems doable, and I hope I can get to somewhere around 20 hours, but I make no guarantees.

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version