United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 25 of 108
29 February 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
According to the 6WCBot I had 29.83 hours learning Finnish this morning. That's a little better than I expected, but still not enough if I want to bring Finnish to a usable level. I'm not doing the acclerated Finnish Challenge but the last two 6WC's are anything to go on I usually get around 45 or 50 hours, but I want more than that this time. I've also made the same mistake I made before by once again focusing too much on grammar and not listening to enough spoken Finnish. Obviously, that is not the way to become fluent. So I've been watching supisuomea and listening to ymmärrä suomea. Why didn't I think of this before? I knew about these sites, but hadn't really used them.
mick33 wrote:
I've been working more on the Thai alphabet, but that will be a topic for my next post along with negative forms of the Finnish conditional mood.
Tha's right, I meant to write something about the negative forms of the conditional mood. I think it will be easiest if I use the same verbs as in the post I quoted above.

soittaa - to call; to phone
asua - to live
tietää - to know

To form negative sentences in Finnish it is the negative word, which in this case is "ei", that changes for each grammatical person. I wrote about this in one of my old logs but I can't find it quickly and I have to get something to eat soon so I'll stop looking now.

When soitta is conjugated for the negative conditional I get:

en soittaisi
et soittaisi
ei soittaisi
emme soittaisi
ette soittaisi
eivät soittaisi

Does the conjugated form of "soittaa" look familiar? It should, as it's the hän form of the conditional mood.

The pattern is the same for the other two verbs, but just I have these someplace I can see them

asua becomes asuisi
en asuisi
et asuisi
ei asuisi
emme asuisi
ette asuisi
eivät asuisi

tietää becomes tietäisi
en teitäisi
et teitäisi
ei teitäisi
emme teitäisi
ette teitäisi
eivät teitäisi

Hopefully I can refresh my knowledge of Finnish vocabulary and hear more Finnish and maybe even some Italian before I get too hungry.

heippa
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 February 2012 at 10:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 26 of 108
03 March 2012 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Jag ska skriva bara ett litet meddelande idag. Jag har blivit nog frusterat med det thailändska språket. Jag kan inte uttala det ljud r. Skulle det vara ett rullande r? Jag visste att thailändska har några svåra ljuden, särskilt ordtonerna, men "r" bokstaven?

I was just wrote that I'm frustrated with Thai. I can't pronounce the "r" sound and the problem is I don't know if it should be a rolled r. I knew Thai had difficult sounds, but the letter r. Really?

Enough complaining, I think I'll try to read something in Finnish before I go to sleep.

God natt
Mick

Sirkka
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5436 days ago

35 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Sign Language, Russian, Dutch, Esperanto, Thai, Modern Hebrew

Message 27 of 108
03 March 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I was just wrote that I'm frustrated with Thai. I can't pronounce the "r" sound and the problem is I
don't know if it should be a rolled r. I knew Thai had difficult sounds, but the letter r. Really?

The letter r in Thai is a very distinct "r" sound, which is a rolled r. In colloquial speech - and this is probably what
threw you off a little - it's often slurred or replaced by the letter l, but the latter is considered bad style by some.
Try listening to online news casts like TV5 or other broadcast
material, and you will get a feel for what the Thai "r" is supposed to sound like.

Good luck with your studies!

Sirkka
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 28 of 108
03 March 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Sirkka. Yes, it is the colloquial pronunciation that throws me off. I'll definitely listen to TV5 and other materials.

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 29 of 108
15 March 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
I was hoping March would be a great month for my language learning but it hasn't worked out that way. You may have noticed that I dropped out of the 6WC. I didn't want to drop out, but there were two reasons I felt I needed to. The first reason is that as of March 4th there has been a sudden change in my personal life that is very difficult to explain, so I won't try to now. It's nothing bad, just something that's rather complicated. Second, I have had a very bad cold for the last week and I'm still not well yet. Unpleasant symptoms such as coughing, headaches and lack of sleep forced me to take an unplanned, and unwanted, break from language learning. I feel like I've forgotten a lot, but it's probably just because I'm still sick. The cold seems to last about 8 or 9 days so hopefully I will have something worthwhile to write about by Friday.

Buenas noches y dulce sueños
Mick

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 108
15 March 2012 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Aw, I didn't really realize you had dropped out.
Get well soon!

come over to the team thread, I've just suggested something :)))
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 31 of 108
17 March 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
I am back! I am still sick but I do have something to write about today.

I was looking at my first study schedule and I remembered that it was only to last through February 14th,the end of the February 6WC.
It's time for a new tentative schedule, and I suppose I should admit that I didn't strictly follow the last one.

Study schedule for languages March 16 through May 1 or maybe longer
Monday-Wednesday-Friday: Italian 30 minutes,Finnish 1 hour, Spanish 30 minutes, Afrikaans 30 minutes, Polish 30 minutes
Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday: Italian 30 minutes, Swedish 1 hour, Spanish 30 minutes, Thai 1 hour.

Yes I have decided to try learning Italian and Spanish all 6 days a week that I plan for rather than alternating them. I avoided doing this before, thinking that I would get confused but I doubt that will actually happen as I am aware of enough differences to keep the two languages separate. Besides that, these languages are supposed to be easy to learn and I am anxious to bring both languages to a higher level.

Puglia è una regione dell'Italia meridionale e non ne so niente quindi ho letto di questa regione. Ho appreso anche dei trulli di Alberobello.

Puglia is a region of southern Italy that I know nothing about, so I read about it. I also read about, and will continue to read about the trulli of Alberobello.

I will have to write more about Alberobello later, I can't stay awake any longer tonight.

Ciao
Buonanotte
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 31 March 2012 at 5:25pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 32 of 108
31 March 2012 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
I think I'll just have to pretend that, as far as language learning, March 2012 didn't actually happen. Since my last message I have spent most of my time recovering from the nasty cold (or maybe it was influenza) or reading the book Babel No More which I borrowed from the local library. I have not finished reading the book yet, but when I do finish it I will post my thoughts on it in the thread about the book.

Merparten av min tid är inte hela tiden. Jag läste svenska och italienska, men jag läste mer svenska än italienska. Jag läste en artikel om ett ny ord hen. En barnbok ska änvanda orden hen istället för han eller hon. Är det en bra idé? Artikelförfattarna tror att svenska måste ha ett opersonlig pronomen. Jag är osäker, kanske svenskan behövs inte ett tredje kön.

Most of my time doesn't mean all the time. I did read some Swedish and Italian, but mostly Swedish. Svenska Dagbladet has an article about a childrens book that will soon be published. This book will use a new word "hen" instead of either "han" (he) or "hon" (she). The writers of the article think this is a good idea, but I'm not sure if Swedish (or any other language) really needs a third gender. The article I linked to above is in Swedish, but you may also read an English version here.

Hej då
god natt
Mick   

Edited by mick33 on 31 March 2012 at 5:24pm

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version