108 messages over 14 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 13 14 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 73 of 108
19 July 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Yes, rakkaus is a noun. the genitive is rakkauden because it's derived from an adjective, rakas 'dear'. the verb rakastaa is derived from the same adjective.

also, in sovitella there's a double t only in the inflected forms, not in the infinitive. that's typical in this verb class (ajatella etc)

note that while the English word furniture is used in the singular but has a plural meaning, in Finnish the singular means a piece of furniture. So it's the plural that corresponds to the English word furniture.

Good luck with your Finnish!!!!! What are you reading?
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 74 of 108
06 August 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yes, rakkaus is a noun. the genitive is rakkauden because it's derived from an adjective, rakas 'dear'. the verb rakastaa is derived from the same adjective.
I'm starting to really love the way Finnish words can be built up to make related words, especially now that I'm getting used to agglutination.

Serpent wrote:
also, in sovitella there's a double t only in the inflected forms, not in the infinitive. that's typical in this verb class (ajatella etc)

note that while the English word furniture is used in the singular but has a plural meaning, in Finnish the singular means a piece of furniture. So it's the plural that corresponds to the English word furniture.

Good luck with your Finnish!!!!! What are you reading?
I thought something wasn't right about sovitella, but now I'll remember to check multiple online dictionaries for Finnish just like I now do with Polish and every other language.

I hadn't noticed that about furniture, but it makes sense in a way that that Finnish plural form would correspond better with the English word.

I can't remember everything I was trying to read three weeks ago. I do know that I was reading articles from Helsingin Sanomat and translating songs by Maj Karma, Herra Ylppö & Ihmiset, Egotrippi, PMMP and Uniklubi. I still can't figure out how I found words like "säilyttää" and "sovitella".

hei sitten
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 06 August 2012 at 10:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 75 of 108
07 August 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
These could've been in songs too:)
Let me know if you want some recs:)

Edited by Serpent on 07 August 2012 at 9:48am

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 
Studies: Smi

Message 76 of 108
07 August 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Some random thoughts on various languages:
Polish - Listening helps me get used to how a language sounds and I definitely believe I made a mistake when started learning Polish by learning vocabulary grammar but never listened to it being spoken or sung, and then I actually complained about pronunciation!?!? My flawed thinking was that listening to radio broadcsts or music wouldn't help me with Polish since Slavonic languages sound different than Germanic and Romance languages, but that was wrong, besides that I could have been singing along to intersting music like Justyna Steczkowska or ... Well now that I've found Justyna Steczkowska I may not want to listen to anything else again I especially love her strongly rolled r. I can't write a sentence but the total amount of time I spent on Polish so far is less than 15 hours. After that amount of time I couldn't write in English or Afrikaans either, Why should Polish be different? It shouldn't be, so stop worrying about this, Mick.

Finnish - I had almost forgotten about Finnish, then I read this blog and the three posts there made me laugh and also reminded me why I like Finnish so before I listened to Justyna Steczkowska I listend to various Finnish songs. The language for my next 6WC is undecided maybe it will be Finnish.

I've all but completely ignored Italian lately yet I keep hearing Italian song lyrics in my head while I'm sleeping, maybe I should give Italian more attention.

I may have to drop Thai, I'm just not learning it. Polish, Swedish, Italian and Finnish are more interesting right now. Naturally I will wake up tomorrow with uncontrollable urges to learn more Thai because that seems to be the way my mind works but it's probably better if I save Thai for later. I'm undecided on this one, but if sometime next week Thai is no longer part of the list of languages below my username you'll know why.

Buona notte
Mick

I agree! Music is a very fun way to learn!

Another thing I enjoy is watching news clips with subtitles in a third language. For instance, watching Sámi news with Swedish subtitles so I can translate the Swedish painstakingly. Then I watch the news clip again, concentrating on the Sámi words. People who have subtitles in their own language are lucky.

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 77 of 108
10 August 2012 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
I haven't been getting emails from this forum so I didn't know that I had two responses here since my last post.
Serpent wrote:
These could've been in songs too:)
Let me know if you want some recs:)
Yes, I do want recommendations.

Kafea wrote:
I agree! Music is a very fun way to learn!

Another thing I enjoy is watching news clips with subtitles in a third language. For instance, watching Sámi news with Swedish subtitles so I can translate the Swedish painstakingly. Then I watch the news clip again, concentrating on the Sámi words. People who have subtitles in their own language are lucky.

Glad to know that so many people like to use music to learn languages. I haven't actually used subtitles much, and I'd never even thought of using subtitles in a third language, but there could be some Finnish shows online with Swedish subtitles ifI will just look for them.

Next a quick update on Finnish. According the 6WCBot I had 11.5 hours of Finnish yesterday afternoon. I have also been reading All Japanese All The Time a lot lately. I know it's been discussed to death here as well as on other forums, and since I seriously doubt I have anything new to write about Khatzumoto's ideas, I'll just say that I like much of what I've read so far and am working on adding various ideas and techniques such as 10,000 sentences and Massive Context Cloze Deletions. Does this mean I will soon be changing my techniques to something like All Finnish All The Time language immersion? Maybe just to attempt to be original I could call it All Finnish Forever. Well, keep reading and you'll find out!

Hyvää yötä
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 25 August 2012 at 9:23am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 78 of 108
25 August 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
All Finnish All The Time? Not just yet, but I am gradually getting close to immersing myself in Finnish. I hadn't considered how much effort it takes to change my thoughts into another language. What I am trying to do is train my mind to learn Finnish words and my hope is that once I have learned a Finnish word for something I will stop using the English word in my thoughts. Will it work? I don't know, but I want to find out.

Of course it would be easier to think in Finnish if I could stop reading discussion threads in other subforums here but that may not happen soon.

heippa
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 25 August 2012 at 10:33am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 79 of 108
27 August 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Carrying on my theme of training my mind to think Finnish (if it's even possible) I have a new list of Finnish words below. I've been reading the Bible and various other religious texts so that's where some, though not all, of these words come from:

usko - faith, trust (I think it's a noun)
uskoa - to have faith in, to believe in (a verb)
luottaa - to trust, to count on
saada - to receive, to get
rangaistus - punishment, penalty
oma - own (an adjective)
omistaa - to possess, to dedicate, to devote
osata - to know how (to do something)
suku - gender, kindred, kind (as in mankind I actually saw this as part of ihmissuku an example of agglutination)
pelastua - to be rescued, to be saved
synti - sin, transgression
rikkomus - misdemeanor, offense, violation
koko - size, stature (noun); whole, entire, all (adjective)
sovitus - fitting, arrangement, atonement (theological sense)
ansio - virtue, merit, income
noudattaa - to obey, to follow, to observe
laki - law
toimitus - delivery, dispatch, ceremony, action or performance
periaate - principle
toimi - deed, positon, office
valta - might, authority, power, main (as in "valtakatu" or main street); also state, country
parannus - improvement, betterment, reformation reclamation
parantua - to cure, to heal

nähdään myöhemmin
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 August 2012 at 11:28am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 80 of 108
29 August 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Today I have good news and I have frustrating news. First, the good news: Yesterday I wanted to read something in Swedish; so I did. I was very happy when I could just read Swedish without wanting to reach for my bilingual dictionary to look up words. I haven't really focused any attention on Swedish in a while so this was great thing for me.

Now for the frustrating news. I know I wrote in one of my earlier logs that in Finnish there is no verb that corresponds to the English verb "to have". This is not a problem for me, I expect Finnish to be different and given the Finns don't miss it I shouldn't either. Unfortunately, if I trust Wiktionary's entry for   
omata in English or the Finnish version here there may be a verb that translates as "to have". The English page does tell me that
Wiktionary page about omata wrote:
Although omata is an acceptable word, it is regarded as artificial by many, and the language instructors tend to discourage its use. Most of the time the verb olla (“to have”) is a good substitute, but sometimes verbs like osata (“to be able, to know”), tarvita (“to need”) and saada (“to get”) work even better: Maalivahdin on tärkeää omata nopeat refleksit. > Maalivahdilla on tärkeää olla nopeat refleksit. (better) > Maalivahti tarvitsee nopeat refleksit. (better still) It's important that the goalkeeper has quick reflexes. Riitta omaa hyvät tiedot biologiasta. > Riitalla on hyvät tiedot biologiasta. Riitta has good knowledge of biology.

Even worse, when I visited google.fi and limited it's searches to suomenkielisiltä sivuilta, "omata" yielded 104 000 000 hits. So this word is in fact in use, at least sometimes. I know that using google to search for words is not always the best way to check if a word is commonly used so I then visited my favorite online Finnish dictionary sanakirja.org and found this "omata" word yet again. This time it was translated as either "to have" or "to possess".

I don't understand this at all. Where did this verb "omata" come from? and Why does it even exist?

I already know that, at least in some circumstances, the way to express "to have" in Finnish is by using the following construction: A pronoun inflected with the adessiivi case (lla/llä) + a conjugated form of "olla" and then the object. This construction allows me to say or write things such as "Minulla on polkupyörä" (I have a bicycle) or "Heillä on koira" (They have a dog).

Maybe I can figure this out in the morning. Right now I will listen to my favorite Juice Leskinen song Viidestoista Yö and go to bed.

Näkemiin
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 August 2012 at 11:28am

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version