United States
Joined 5684 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 105 of 108
03 December 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I'll just have to write off November as a month where I took partially unplanned break from learning languages. I use the term partially unplanned because I knew a few months ago I would be staying with my brother for at least one week to help babysit his children while his wife had a baby. One week became almost three weeks. I visited this forum sometimes to make sure my inbox did not have hundreds of emails from this site but I had very little time for languages from 12 November to 1 December.

You might think this is a setback for me, but it isn't. I didn't know it, but I needed the break and I now feel more excited about learning languages than I have in a while. I am getting back into languages today and reading some very interesting discussion threads that have appeared during my break.

Hasta pronto
Mick
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5684 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 106 of 108
19 December 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
This post is not meant to confuse anyone, I just think my 2012 TAC log needs a proper sendoff, before I get too far into my new log.

What that in mind, How did I do in 2012? To be honest, it has not the been best year for my language learning yet I still feel like I learned a lot about how I learn languages and what I want to do to learn them well. As for learning languages, I was very inconsistent for many reasons: I got really sick a couple times, dropped out of a few of the 6 Week Challenges, planned to learn Thai but then dropped it because I couldn't afford the books I wanted to buy to learn it, went back to Polish but haven't learned much of the language, and started Hindi but have learned even less so far. I also continued to neglect Afrikaans and Spanish just as I did for much of 2011 and

I've also realized that while wanderlust is fun, intriguing and sometimes provides a needed break from the languages I actually want to learn it can be a distraction if I give in to it too often. I think I am now actually ready to learn to speak, read and write 7 or 8 languages more *seriously* just to find out if I can in fact do so. Another thing I recognized is that while learning grammar is important, focusing on grammar so much can prevent me from using languages and is best done sparingly. I also believe I think too much about language learning instead of simply doing it.

While I'm being honest, and to keep this post from becoming negative, I have to admit that I did make some progress in Swedish and Italian. Swedish no longer feels totally foreign to meand Italian is almost getting to the same level.

I hope everyone reading this had a good year and that next year will be even better.
This log is now finished, so I thank you for reading and wish my readers Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Mick

NB *The word "serious" does not mean boring, I just want to be less scatterbrained about learning languages.*

Edited by mick33 on 12 January 2013 at 12:58am

2 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5911 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 107 of 108
19 December 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I've also realized that while wanderlust is fun, intriguing and sometimes provides a needed break from the languages I actually want to learn it can be a distraction if I give in to it too often.

I had the exact same problem, which lead me to my 1,000 hours Supreme challenge. I know I'll end up covering too many languages in 2013, but I'm suprised I've stuck with one main language for most of 2012. I really want to move another language from the studies to speaks category.

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5684 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 108 of 108
19 December 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I really want to move another language from the studies to speaks category.
I couldn't agree more, English is getting pretty lonely in my speaks category

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version